Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213416 times) 715 replies

Offline DonnyMac

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Fishy-People,

I'm Donny and have just purchased a largish bio-something-or-other for my 20 yr old son as he expressed an interest in having fish in his room...

However, Anna and I have always had the fish bug and ended up buying an 80 litre tropical thingamy as well with a 120 litre pump and associated gubbings.

Anyhoooo, my being here should be kept a secret, as fish are clearly boring as hell... Since set up, some hours ago, we're starring at it desperately waiting for 7 days to pass for the week to be over before we can stock it, phrases such as "ooh, isn't it pretty", and "wait until it has our little babies in it" should clearly be ignored because this is our first tank and will deny it if asked.

Can't bloody wait!

So, now I've been outed as a fish tank owner, what are we looking at stocking on a soon to be 7 day old tank @ <>26' with adequate filtration and of course clorine and bacteria treatments?

Thanks in advance for the advice, please PM me if I don't responded quick enough and whatever you do, if you find someone with the same username on a Maserati or Ariel Atom type forum , don't, ever, mention the fish!

Looking forward to taking part.

All the best,
Donny

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »
Hi Donny and welcome to fishkeeping.

The largeish bio-something (biorb perhaps?) and the 80 litre - are they both brand new, and no other tanks in the house? If that's right, then I hate to have to tell you but they won't be ready for fish in 7 days whatever the instructions/shop might have said. Sorry, I hate having to say that to someone who is keen  :(

In a fish tank, the filter grows two colonies of bacteria to deal with the fish's waste. A brand new filter does not have any bacteria in it, they have to grow, and it can take a couple of months for this to happen. You mention bacteria treatments - you need to know that they do not cycle the filter (ie grow the bacteria) instantly. Some don't work at all, some grow one of the bacteria but not the other, and some do speed things up. Notice I said speed things up not do it instantly. Some of this last group only work if they've been refridgerated at all times since manufacture, but there is a good chance they've been allowed to warm up at some point in their journey rendering them useless.

So what can you do? First of all can I recommend that you read the following threads
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15.0.html
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

The first explains what cycling is and gives a general outline of the various methods in use. The other two are detailed instructions for how to do two of these methods. Read them though a few times so you get your head round them, then you'll be able to decide which method you want to go with. The downside with fishless cycling is you have an empty tank for a few weeks, the downside with fish-in cycling is that you have to do a lot of water changes, daily at first. You can still use your bacterial product with both methods, just don't assume it wil do anything - and if it does, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! If you really can't wait for a few weeks, then do a fish-in cycle. But only a very few fish. The 80 litre tank converts to 21 gallons (it's always American gallons in fishkeeping) and the recommended maximum for fish-in cycling is 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons - giving you a maximum of 4 inches of fish for a fish-in cycle. But that's not the size of the fish now, they are all babies/juveniles in the shop, it's the size they'll grow to. So you can have 1 fish that'll grow to 4 inches, 2 fish that'll grow to 2 inches, or 4 fish that'll grow to 1 inch. Check the fish profile in the menu above for the fish you want, or if it isn't there google fishbase.

Oh, and if your son's tank is a biorb, please be aware there are limitations on some kinds of fish. Ask and I'll tell you what they are.

Offline DonnyMac

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the advice.

I've probably read about 30+% of the site and just about every 'how-to' on Google over the past 36 hours.

I was going to wait a week and then take the advice of the store for a fish-in cycle, my guesstimate was 6 little ones, but sounds like 4 juveniles, then the wait, testing, wait, testing, wait for the drop-off and get a couple more additions, test and repeat?

I was thinking, disasters aside, that we should be fully stocked in three months or so?

On the Bio-Orb front (square) my lad isn't known for looking after things too well, so we may well commandeer that later for a quarantine for new arrivals over the coming months should he not keep his little friends in the luxury they deserve.

We did purchase a heater for the Orb so fish should be interchangeable should the levels closely match.

I've read about a community calculator but believe it's not online right now - any recommendations on a nice colourful active bunch to aim for once the cycle is complete, top, middle and bottom feeders?

Thanks again,
Donny

Offline Sue

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
Hi Donny,

Take everything a shop tells you with a huge pinch of salt. Too many of them haven't a clue what they are talking about but they are extremely good at sounding convincing. There are some that instruct the staff to make things up to make a sale. For instance, I heard someone in one shop telling a customer to add a bottle of bacteria to a brand new tank and also add all the fish he wanted at the same time or the bottled bacteria wouldn't work. I went home and googled the product in question, and it said to add a few fish at first, wait a couple of weeks and add more a few at a time. Not exactly what the shop was telling customers!

Regarding a fish-in cycle, that's right. Get a few fish, measure both ammonia and nitrite daily (twice a day is better) and do water changes every time you see either/or ammonia and nitrite. A lot of people find it helpful to make notes of the readings so that one day when you say to yourself 'I haven't had any ammonia or nitrite for a few days even though I haven't done any water changes' you can look at your notes and see how long it's been  :) When it's been a week, the filter is cycled for that number of fish. It could take anywhere from a month to three months to reach that stage, you just have to be patient. That's one thing fishkeeping teaches us, because these are living things (including the filter bacteria) they go at their own speed which may be slower than we'd like. Don't forget you can only get more fish slowly. If you had four fish, you could add maybe 2 more once the filter is cycled, then a week or two later, two or three more.

If your son's tank is square, that sounds like a biorb life. The main problem with stocking biorbs of any shape is the fact that the rocks on the bottom are the main part of the filter where the bacteria live and they are quite rough, so that means no corydoras or loaches. These fish like to root around on the bottom for food but they have barbels which can get cut on rough stones which allows infections in.
There could also be a problem with using one as a quarantine - it is usual to move the quarantine's filter into the main tank to keep the bacteria alive when the tank isn't in use, but you can't do that with a biorb's filter. The alternative would be to keep fish in it all the time and swap them over to the main tank when you want to use it for quarantine.

But for your 80 litre, what are the dimensions, that would give us a better idea of fish for it. Some tanks are long and shallow, others are tall and narrow. And how far away would you sepnd most of your time viewing it from? It's no good recommending tiny fish if you woud be too far away to see them  :) And it would also be useful to know the pH of your water and whether it is hard or soft (eg does the kettle fur up or not). It is much easier to get fish to suit your water rather than try to make the water suit the fish.

Offline DonnyMac

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
Interesting point on the Bio filter and one that wouldn't have crossed my mind if you hadn't of mentioned it :)

My tank is in the main triangular, identical to this but double the volume -

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayLargeImageView?storeId=10551&imageName=/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/extralarge/15625.jpg&productName=Mini%20Pentagon%20Aquarium%20by%20Clearseal%20(Available%20In%20Store%20Only)&productCode=15625&catalogId=10601&langId=-1

The tank is placed on a 3-4mm bespoke foam 'mat' which I made sitting in the corner of our granite breakfast bar, so visible for breakfast (not like that) and through out the day pretty close up.

I've no idea of levels just yet as I was going to get the testing kit next Sunday after the tank had settled for a week, chlorine removal etc., we're in a hard water area of London.

I've used seperate API treatments for chlorine/heavy metals and double dosed the bacteria/slime coat treatment as advised.

The tank has medium/small sized rounded gravel so as not to discount bottom feeders in future.

Small but perfectly formed, starring at pretty bubbles looking forward to next week and hundreds of litres of tank cleaning efforts all over the floor in the coming weeks!

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
If you are in London, your water will be very hard and alkaline. Another member, SteveS, lives in the London area and he says that's what his tapwater is like. If it was my tank, I'd stick to lots of small fish, but I do know that other people like bigger fish too  ;D I'd stick to fish that grow a maximum of 2, maybe 2.5 inches. And avoid fast swimmers as corner tanks don't have a long swimming space. There are plenty of fish that like to swim slowly.

So with tapwater like yours, the first thing to do is warn you against fish that like soft acid water - the main examples of fish that woud hate your water are things like rams. But you'll find that livebearers love your water, and if you ever get a bigger tank, so would Rift Lake cichlids. So for an 80 litre tank, fish like platies, endlers or guppies (though a lot of guppies these days have been so inbred to get their gorgeous tails that they are quite weak). Avoid mollies and swordtails as they are a lot bigger. Platies would be one of the best bets for cycling, maybe two of them. But be warned about livebearers - they can overpopulate your tank in no time at all. Females can store sperm for up to 6 months, so even if you went with just females you'd get fry if they'd ever spent more that about 5 minutes in the company of a male. You could also cycle with a couple of endlers. Most of the ones in the shops are endler-guppy hybrids but they are less delicate that pure guppy. The downside with these is that the females are plain grey-beige and with all livebearers you need at least two females for every male with mixed sexes (males chase the females contantly so more females than males gives each female time off). You can keep all male endlers - I have a group of males in one tank and a group of females in another, the males just try to mate with each other  ???

Non-livebearers? You'll find quite a lot of fish that have hard alkaline water at the top end of their prefered range. Fish like cherry barbs, some of the tetras (check out their water preferences in the fish profile section), dwarf rainbowfish [Melanotaenia praecox], some of the blue-eyes [eg Pseudomugil furcatus] and so on. The easiest thing to do is go round your local shops and make a note of the smallish fish that cach your eye. Then go home and look them up - check out what type of water they need and the final adult size. If they are not in the database on here, look at fishbase, though it is easier to find fish on there if you know the latin name - it's an American site and they often use different common names. Ask at the shop for the latin name, even if they don't know it they should be able to look it up on their wholesaler's list.

Above all, take your time. I speak from experience when I say you'll have a fully stocked tank then see a fish you really like and have no room for  :)

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
Have to agree with Sue, the advantage of needeing to take a bit more time before you can add fish is that you can keep looking online and in a few different fish shops and get an idea of what fish catch your eye and you think you would like.

I've lost count the number of time i have had a plan in mind for my next fish then spot something else and completely change my plans!!

Offline Glyn

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »
thought i'd throw in my hello,

like a few other people i've stuck to using my own name on forums i just find it easier in honesty, I've had fish off and on my entire life while living with my parents, started with goldfish and then tropical although I admit once i moved out and had my own family and tried fish-keeping i did so many things wrong it ended being a disaster.

This time i decided to be much more careful and alsp to do it right and avoid the disasters and so I got books and read a lot first now i have an AquaOne set up it's about 100 litre tank I think..it's 31.5" x 15" x 11.5" I've had it running for a few days now before getting my new fish which i'll be doing on Saturday...planning on 4 gourami's to start me off and working from that, adding a few fish once a week or so until i'm happy with how everything looks and is working.

I found the forum during my internet searching for knowledge so I joined it and here I am hoping for a happy informative time

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Hi Glyn,

You'll find fishkeeping has changed a lot in recent years. The 'get a few fish, then a few more after a week' idea is no longer in favour, I'm afraid. Just running a tank without doing anything to it doesn't get it ready for fish.

Can I suggest you read throug these two threads to get some idea of current methods of getting a tank ready, known as cycling.
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

The first deals with the method for cycling with fish (the way you mention) and the second deals with fishless cycling, a method of growing the bacteria in the filter before putting fish in the tank. As you'll see from the first (fish-in cycling) you get a few fish then do water changes as often as necessary until enough bacteria have grown to keep both ammonia and nitrite at zero, and only then get more fish.

When you read up on fish-in cycling in the link, you'll see that you need to buy a test kit at the same time as the first fish, and that it will be several weeks before you can get any more. You will probably find you have to do at least one large water change every day for the first few of those weeks.

Which gouramis do you intend to get? I ask because dwarf gouramis are not a good choice to cycle a tank with. They are notroiously weak fish, dying for no apparent reason. Coupled with the fact that a large proportion of the ones bred in the far east have a disease called DGIV (dwarf gourami iridovirus) which kills the fish within a couple of months of purchase. If it was dwarfs you wanted, can I suggest you choose a different fish for cycling with.

Sorry I seem to be telling you that you can't do what you suggest. You did say you want to get things right and avoid disasters  :) The books I've looked at in the library and bookshops don't give very good advice I'm afraid. And neither do a lot of tank/filter instructions, nor a lot of shops.

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
Forgot to add: in a 100 litre tank, if you want four gouramis I would get 1 male 3 females. You might get away with more than one honey gourami male if the tank has lots of plants (real or synthetic) which reach the surface to break up line of sight. But I wouldn't risk more than one male dwarf or any of the bigger gouramis as they is a very good chance the dominant male will attack the other males.

Offline si chezzer

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Hi, thought I would say hello to everyone. I'm new to this edition of thinkfish, but I did use the previous version and i'm looking forward to the progression of this version. Just getting back into the hobby of fish keeping. I have an interest in tropicals and i'm a sucker for small catfish and corys (I think I may have made a pun there!). Over the next few months I will be setting up a new 150L tank so again the info on this site will be invaluable, and I hope I can post some pictures as I go on as well, but in the meantime, once again Hi to all.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »
Hi all good to see everyone back and the forum up and running.

Background, started keeping fish when i was 12 with the help of my dad and as i got older took a increasing role in keeping them until i had my own tanks in my room until i went o uni at 18. Was out of the hobby until 2006 when i started a small tank. Moved to my own house and set up a 160ltr tank and in the last 5 years have kept a variety of fish from south american puffers to canara pearl spot.

2 years ago i got a 25inch custom 255ltr cube aquarium, this has gone through a few setups. Last year i picked up a pair of apistogama noberti who over the last year have bred a lot and i currently have 4 fry from the last batch. I have also been breeding platinum blue angel fish although they keep eating there eggs. These are currently in my 160ltr corner unit.

My 255ltr has recently been changed it now houses 6 wild green discus 3, queen arabesue plecs, a red morph spiny eel and 8 licorice gouramis.

Hoping to see lots of pics of tanks from leople new and previous.

Ps chucklett i finaly got to trimar in august.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
Hi Don, been wondering if you'd find the new forum  :)

How about pics of your own tanks as well as other peoples'....... ;D

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
Okay you twisted my arm :)

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
Hey Don - great to "see" you here  :)

Glad alls well with you and your tanks. And so you finally made it to TriMar then - you said you'd get there one day!

Looking forward to seeing recent photos of your tanks  ;)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »
Glad to here youve moved chucklett, have you gone far?

Ye i did it was a nice well set up shop but i wasnt wowed. They had some nice fish and the prices were good but nothing that made me think wow i need that now. Rare aquatics on the other hand blows me away everytime and its where all my latest fish have come from but i think thats because deep down south americans are where its at for me.

Should have pics up soon, most are on my phone and i cant resize them on it and it wont connect to my pc so i will have to get me camera out.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
They do have quite an assortment of fish dont they, and yes well set out with tropical down one side, cold water another, etc, but, well, I have my experiences and opinions!

Yeah, we finally got a fantastic little bungalow with a lovely huge garden. About 15 miles from where we used to live, so wasnt too bad moving. The biggest stress was, of course, moving the fish! Been here about 2 months now so getting quite settled and the greatest thing is that my husband is already much happier and he has started applying for jobs  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
That's such good news about your husband. Living in your old flat must have been so stressful for him with everything that happened there. Moving to somewhere different with no bad memories would seem to be helping, from what you said.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 06:44:53 PM »
Haha ye enough said.

Thats great news to here your husband is doing well and youve got a nice new house. Garden sounds big enough for a pond ;D  ::).

Its the one thing i dread and i no its gona have to happen sooner rather than later but the thought of moving my tanks gives me chills.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
A fresh start was just what the Doctor ordered Sue! And its worked a treat  :)

Funnily enough Don, Ive already said how a nice pond would make a lovely centre-piece.......  ;D
My best tip for you when you come to move your tanks...... dont stress!!!!!!!  :o
(edit: actually, on a serious note, I have moved tanks enough times now to earn a degree in it! So, if you do have any questions when the time comes, I may be able to give you a few tips  ;) )

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: