Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213978 times) 715 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So you have a tank with plants but no fish. Are you feeding the filter or will you be stocking slowly and letting the plants keep your tank healthy, ie a silent cycle? If the latter, you'll have to write it up as an example of how to do a silent cycle  :)

I've always been intrigued by shell dwellers. It's just their need for hard water that's put me off. My tapwater has GH9 (or 6 if you believe my water company) so I'd have to add rift lake salts at every water change.

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
OOOOH look the forum is back!!  Good to see some familiar faces (well names).......guess i have plenty of posts to read and catch up on

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
I'm going to try and keep the filter fed.  I may write up my remodelling as a project, as I say, it's on the low priority list at the moment until I decide exactly what my plans will be.

Living in London, my water is naturally like concrete.  My "normal" pH, in the tank, is 8 - 8.2.  I don't have a hardness tester but my water company says it's CaCO3 equivalent is 275-300 mg/l which is about 15-16 dH.  So I think they'll be OK with that "out of the bottle".

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
Darrell - how about starting some threads  ;D The forum looks empty at the moment.....

Steve - I've heard about London water. Most people seem to refer to it as liquid rock. It would be great for all the rift lake fish.

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
 Hi Sue I think your right I did have a different user name on the old forum, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was !!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Julia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
Good to see some familiar faces back on here!!!

I'm still currently running the four tanks...3 freshwater and the marine....

Lost my father at the end of July so things have not been brilliant as of late but it's good to see the site back up and running!!!

Offline David

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Hi, good to see the forum up and running again!!

I got into tropical fish in 2005 with a 110lr tank, and have now got a 160ltr tank!!  :)
What's in the tank:
2 Albino Corys
2 Leapard Corys
2 Zebra Loach
2 Ottos
2 Dwarf Guami
2 Galaxy Danios (did have 5)
Hi Fin Cat Fish
4 Swordtails
2 Rumueynose Tetras
2 Redeye Tetras
4 Pearl Danios
Did have 2 Kribs but one died yesterday??!!

Got all live planted tank, n ot sure it quite how I want it looking at moment, still not right, but.............

David.

Jiros

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Hello

Great website. I bought my first fish tank last week, a 100L tank from allpondsolutions.
I still have a lot to learn before I am confident that I can keep fish correctly and safely and this site has been a great help. Also still have lots of bits and pieces to buy.

anyway just thought I would say hi after registering on the forum. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Hi Jiros

Fishkeeping is a very interesting hobby, but as you have no doubt already discovered, there is a lot to learn at the start. Can I just warn you to take anything a fish shop tells you with a pinch of salt. Research before buying anything! There are some good shops around, as you get into things more you'll be able to spot which ones they are and which ones talk rubbish.
So just to start you off, have you read my 'how to' threads in the 'filtration and cycling' section? You'd be surprised how many people have problems when they've only just started because of bad advice/lack of advice from the shop or tank instructions.

But I need to warn you - fishkeepers are never satisfied with the tank they have. They always want more, bigger tanks. We even have a name for it - multiple tank syndrome  ;D

Jiros

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks I have been reading through your threads on cycling, very helpful. Need to buy the pure ammonia solution and get a testing kit to carry out fishless cycling, and will continue doing more research.

haha, multiple tank syndrome.

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »
Hi Jiros

Fishkeeping is a very interesting hobby, but as you have no doubt already discovered, there is a lot to learn at the start. Can I just warn you to take anything a fish shop tells you with a pinch of salt. Research before buying anything! There are some good shops around, as you get into things more you'll be able to spot which ones they are and which ones talk rubbish.
So just to start you off, have you read my 'how to' threads in the 'filtration and cycling' section? You'd be surprised how many people have problems when they've only just started because of bad advice/lack of advice from the shop or tank instructions.

But I need to warn you - fishkeepers are never satisfied with the tank they have. They always want more, bigger tanks. We even have a name for it - multiple tank syndrome  ;D

I got that a few months after I had my 108 litre tank ..... went to a 450litre lol .... infact I think I'll always have it !

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,
It has been truly a while since the old forum was running. I actually checked today after quite a few weeks without much hope – and the forum is back!
I am still keeping a few tanks, with the new thing being an optiwite glass custom made aquarium. As always, all of my tanks a heavily planted and as always, I am being a kind of a “nerd” of fish keeping: the new optiwite is dedicated to freshwater flora and fauna of Australasia (based on “Wallace line”), another tank is a Burmese one (with the addition of Venusta and Tumida shrimps), and so on, so on.
I use EI method of fertilizers customised to each tank and simplified to fit into a busy schedule with pressurised CO2 in most of the tanks.
I am having a bad patch in life at the moment. I will be flying a few thousand miles next week to see my Mum who had a stroke – she lives sooo far away, and this does not make things cheap or easy. So, I cannot promise I will be posting often, although I was itching to add something to the topic of plant fertilizers... will do if I have any time between work and getting everything sorted and ready for going away for over two weeks...
P.S. Glad to see Chucklett, Sue, Darrell and the others from the old forum!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
Hey Natalia - good to see you  :)
I was hoping you'd find your way here sooner or later! Nice to know theres a good aquatic gardener lurking in the background.

Im sure you talked about a freshwater flora & fauna tank before? Great to hear you've got it underway.

Sorry to hear about your mum - I hope she's on the mend. Not easy for you being so far away. Have a safe trip, keep your chin up and try not to worry too much  ;)

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
Hey Natalia - good to see you  :)
I was hoping you'd find your way here sooner or later! Nice to know theres a good aquatic gardener lurking in the background.

Im sure you talked about a freshwater flora & fauna tank before? Great to hear you've got it underway.

Sorry to hear about your mum - I hope she's on the mend. Not easy for you being so far away. Have a safe trip, keep your chin up and try not to worry too much  ;)

I 2nd that .... good to see you back Natalia, I often thought 'what would Natalia do here' when I ive been stumped regarding plants lol

sorry about your mum :(

TigzFish

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
Hi all,

Glad to see the forum finally up and running again.  :)  The revamp of the whole site looks pretty amazing.

I joined the previous forum just a small number of weeks before the site went dark, so here's a quick recap of where I was up to.

I had scrapped an an attempt at a planted fresh water tropical tank because I was having problems with plants and decor and decided to go for a "temperate" fresh water variant instead.  When I arrived at the forum last time (21st April 2012) I had just started a fishless cycle.

By 28th April I suffered a pH crash, which I think it was Sue helped me out by suggesting addition of a small quantity of bicarbonate of Soda.  This worked a treat and got me back on track again, but it did take until 26th May to get the cycle completed, and then I started to add fish.

The decor has gone through some changes, from just plastic plants to some potted live plants, which are just about to be replaced by some silk plants and the live ones are slowly being devoured  >:(

So, here's the low-down thanks to the ThinkFish "tank mates" and stocking calculator (hope they come back):-

64 litre Interpet "FishPod" (aka "FishBox") ([L] 60cm x [W] 32cm x [H] 37cm)
[26th May] 5x Vietnamese White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys micagemmae)
[2nd June] 4x Japonica (Amano) Shrimp (Caridina multidentata)
[22nd June] 1x Zebra Otocinclus (Otocinclus Cocama) *deceased 11th July  :'(
[30th June]  1x Zebra Otocinclus (Otocinclus Cocama) *deceased 20th August  :'(
[7th July] 5x Glowlight Danios (Danio choprai)
[14th July] 5x Glowlight Tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)

Very Soft water is a steady heated 24 deg, pH 6.5 to 7.6
Fluval 130 External Cannister filter (replaced the manufacturers internal one)

You'll see from the above that I lost both of my Zebra Oto's.  I'm convinced that the first developed an illness that went undected due to their reclusive nature and the second I think gave out during a water change, possibly suffocating, but I can't prove it.  The body of the first Oto was not touched by the other fish, whilst the second was almost half eaten by the time I spotted the carcus.

Not happy about loosing both, as they were absolutely brilliant lookers, but I'm not planning to get any more.

I've had one outbreak of Planaria which I replaced the whole of my substrate to combat. This worked great, and indeed it looked like it was caused by waste food rot.

Well, that's where I'm up to at the moment and all is going fine. 60% water change once a week is keeping the Nitrate levels at 20ppm and below, and I'm a happy fishkeeper at long last.  :o

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »
Hi there, good to see a fellow Lancastrian on the forum.  It sounds like you like the idea of live plants......id say if thats what you want keep plugging away. 

TigzFish

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
Hi Darrell, yes I really am keen on live plants, and it would be simply fab if the Amano's would stop chomping on them.  >:(

The fish fortunately don't bother the plants at all, so its more like a slow death than an all out assault.

At the moment the plants look positively sick, with holes all over them so they need to come out.  I think the Amano's are pooing more as a result of their feasting too (and they do poo a lot).

I've got hold of some nice looking silks, 20 & 30 cm mixture of different sorts and will be putting those in at the weekend. I'd like to see the Amanos eat those!  ;D

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
Hi TigzFish (I remember you as Dave)  :)

I researched the net when my amano shrimps starting eating the plants. I found one person claiming the same thing (oddly, with the same plant) and they were met with complete disbelief. Shrimps do NOT eat plants! Ohhhh, but they DO! I watched a female chomping quite merrily on my alternanthera. Well, chomping isnt quite the right word..... "descimating" is more like it. She happily ate her way through the middle of a leaf, from one side to the other, leaving the tip-half to float off into the sunset. After doing this to a few leaves, she then happily munched through the main stem leaving the top half of the plant to float off into the sunset!

I tried a new batch of alternanthera, only for it to meet the same fate. I researched more and found a couple of people saying the same thing about their alternanthera. So I gave up on the beautiful red plant. Its obviously a delicasy for female amano shrimps! All was well between shrimps & plants until last year when I was forced to put the tank on a diet. For 6 weeks, I could only feed the fish once-a-day. During this time, my Brazilian Pennywort slowly disappeared. Mollies are known to be fond of munching this plant, so they may by guilty for its disappearance, though I suspect the shrimps know something about it too!

Again, all was well with my plants until the last few weeks. I moved house in August and for some reason, my much loved Twisted Vallis has since been mowed! All along the back of my tank looks like Ive cut it down to 6" - 8" with scissors! Though I dont have handfuls of leaf tips floating around this time, I just know its those shrimps.......

I have to wonder if amanos have a "time of the year" where they just have to have vegetation in their diet. The Alternanthera happened around June/July 2010. The Brazilian Pennywort was July/August 2011 and the Twisted Vallis has just happened..... August/September. Hmmmmm, I see a pattern emerging every 13 months! Bizarre or what?  ???

Keep trying with live plants. They really do add that finishing touch to a tank  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
Hello. I feel like I've been away for ages! And a bit slow on finding the new forums.  :-[

Nearly 2 years ago, my boyfriend asked me if I wanted a fish tank for Christmas, on the condition that it would be wholly mine and he would not take any responsibility for looking after it in any way. After a (very) bit of research, I decided that a planted tropical freshwater fish tank would be a great 'first pet'.

I now have a 240l Roma tank, that is fairly heavily planted. I live in a fairly soft water area, so found it a bit of a struggle to keep my plants alive - until I discovered CO2 injection and fertilisers. I started researching fertiliser salts, and got to a point where my tank was doing really well plant wise, but not so well fish wise. I think this is where I was up to before losing touch with the forums.

I had to move my fish tank, fortunately only to another wall in the same room. But found it incredibly stressful. I made the decision to take out the minimum water I had to and leave the fish in place. I ended up removing at least 100l of the 170l of water, and by the time I realised I'd have to do this, it was too difficult to catch the fish amongst all the plants. So they spent the best part of an hour or so in less than 10cm of water!

Turns out, I was the only one that suffered from stress and the improvement in water quality that resulted from such a large water change benefited my fish enormously. I didn't lose any fish for several months (except the odd stupid cardinal tetra swimming into and getting stuck behind my second small pump).

Then in May, I discovered that I was pregnant and morning sickness as well as an increased sense of smell, meant that my tank maintenance was somewhat neglected. My husband is a bit of a worrier, so water changes are now a joint effort, as he does all the lifting of buckets of water - both into and out of the tank! (I don't think he factored that into his original conditions!  :o

Over the last 3 weeks, the water conditions have started to show on my fish and I have lost several - including the last of my dwarf gouramis.  :'(  But today I've done a 90l water change and hope to 'get back on the wagon', so to speak and make a much better effort at maintaining my tank. I will post a photo at some stage, when I work out how.  ;)

Btw, I currently have 5 kuhli loaches, 7 bronze corydorus, 3 harlequin rasboras, a pair of cherry barbs, 9 cardinal tetras and a glowlight tetra.

Helen

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »
Congratulations on the forth coming happy event  ;D Luckily mine were in their teens when I first got fish (well, they first got fish) so I didn't have any tank maintenance to do while pregnant. Heaven knows how I'd have coped with the second, I had 'morning sickness' 24 hours a day till he was 6 weeks old - I blame the iron tablets they gave you in those days from first diagnosis of pregnancy till six weeks after the birth. (They let me change brands with the first which worked a treat, but not with the second for some reason).

It's times like this when the tank does have to take second place - well done on getting your husband involved, I'm not sure I'd ever manage that  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: