Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213981 times) 715 replies

Offline Flatdog

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello Folks

Brand spanking new to keeping fish so apologies for soon to be numerous questions and advice seeking.
After seeing in my 50th summer, I recieved a Aqualantis 90L tank and am in the process of fishless cycling ( by the way any knowladge I have about aquariums was gathered from "thinkfish" ).
The tank has been running fishless for about 2 weeks now and I have seen a few very small snails, not sure if this is a good sign or not? All the daily water tests are with mentioned specs so hopefully all is well.
Be sure to recieve many many questions from me.
Cheers

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (10) - Cherry Barb (6) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum Flatdog.  Ask away, there is a great collective of experience here.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
Welcome Flatdog. I'm forever fishing snails out of my tank - I think an egg bundle came in on a plant I bought and they breed like rabbits. I found another one this morning!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
hi im chris.

im new to tropical fish but i have done some very heavy research.

ive just had a marina style fish tank with cabinet, 100 x 40 x 40. it came with 2 external 'waterfall' filters, 2 lights and 1 heater. ive also got another heater just encase.

im just waiting for my gravel that i ordered and also my background before i can fill it with water.

fav fish got to be the siamese fighter fish, but also a big fan of the red tailed black shark and silver sharks

im sure i will have a lot of questions in the future and the site looks great and very helpfull (thats y i signed up)  ;)

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum Chris. Ask away - we like being helpful :)

Heavy research is good - but there's an awful lot of conflicting advice 'out there' so always get at least three opinions on everything. It takes a while to learn the sites to trust - this is definitely one of them.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Gazza.Esq

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
Hi people
I have had tropical aquariums for just under two years. Started after the wife fancied a biOrb she spotted whilst getting guinea pig food in our local branch of a well know pet supermarket. Needless to say we were given poor advice so I ended up purchaing a new 60 litre Aquael to re-home the 4 Pearl Danio we bought. The biorb now planned to be converted to a terrarium. Danio sadly passed on for a variety of reasons, but now have 3 Cherry Barbs 6 Panda Cories and 3 Otos in the Aquael. My two boys also have a tank in their rooms with a few Endlers (strictly segregated now !) and some shrimp. Planning to upgrade the Aqauel and go for a Roma 125l.

Dwarf Chain Loach (11) - Pearl Danio (17) - Harlequin Rasbora (23) - Cherry Barb (7) - Fiveband Barb (13) - Panda Cory (5) - X-ray Tetra (7) - Panda Cory (7) - Neon Tetra (16) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Otocinclus (4) - Fiveband Barb (15) - Dwarf Chain Loach (11) - Cherry Barb (13) - Golden Barb (15) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Guppy (male) (20) - Otocinclus (2) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Ember Tetra (15) - Platy (4) - Zebra Danio (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum Gazza.

p.s. We like pictures. :)

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Hi. My name is Ian.

I bought a 60 litre aquarium and 14 fish on ebay this morning. I'm brand new to the hobby, so may well be asking advice.

Still trying to identify all of the fish, but they do include 1 x Angelfish, 3 x Golden Barbs, 6 x Cardinal Tetras, 2 x Gouramis (maybe Croaking) plus what I was told is a Clownfish (but aren't they marine? It looks like a 5cm long Clown loach) and what I was told is a plec. (Hardly seen it. It's been hiding).

But overall I am very pleased with my purchase. The seller was moving and included everything that was needed to get started.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Have you got the fish at your house now? Did you keep the filter nice and wet during the journey?

Let the fish settle in and we can help you sort out your fish. Some of them are unsuitable for a 60 litre tank (the angelfish, the loach and the plec get too big; and the loach needs to be in a shoal. Google 'marge the clown loach' and you'll see what I mean about too big!). Your priority now is helping them get over the move. Did the seller include a test kit?

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thanks for the advice. I have probably been doing everything wrong. I was doing what the seller advised. He had drained the tank of about two thirds of the water leaving the fish in it. I drove it back to my place (only a 5 minute drive) and then gradually refilled it over the next 4 hours or so.

All of the fish seem to be fine. The 2 gouramis are a bit timid, but otherwise OK. Not sure if the clown loach or the plec are what he said. He actually said clown fish!!! The "loach" is only about 5cm long. I don't know how old any of these fish are. The "plec" is completely black, about 7cm long and spends most of its time upsidedown. Upsidedown catfish maybe?

Not sure what you mean by test kit. He included some Tetra Aqua to balance the ph and some Nutrafin to make tap water safe. I have used both of these.

Again, thanks for the advise. The only advice I had had was from the seller and I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. 

Thanks, Ian.

Offline Sue

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
I will be bluntly honest and say I don't think he did.

The nutrafin stuff to make the water safe - is it aqua plus or cycle? The first (aqua plus) removes chlorine from the water and needs to be added to new water every time you do a water change. If it's cycle, that is a bottled bacteria product which doesn't work very well.
The tetra stuff - can you say exactly what is written on the bottle? You shouldn't use anything that alters the pH. It is most likely to cause swings in pH which are bad for the fish. If the seller told you the water should be exactly pH 7, he definitely didn't know what he was talking about, I'm afraid.

What I mean by a test kit is something like this. There are several makes, this is just one of them.
There are bacteria in the filter (thought - I assume there is one?) which remove poisons from the water.  If these got killed off during the move to your house, the poisons will be building up and the test kit will tell you. Fish breathe out ammonia and it's in their waste. This is the first of the poisons and the ammonia eating bacteria turn it into nitrite, the second poison. Nitrite eating bacteria turn that into nitrate. The test kit will tell you if there is either/or ammonia and nitrite in the water. If there is (that is, some or all of the bacteria died) you will need to do water changes to keep the fish alive.

Can you take some photos of the fish for a definite ID? You can either attach them to the bottom of the post (though they need to be small) or use a site like photobucket and copy the img code.

Don't worry, despite the previous owner not knowing his stuff, we can help you learn  ;D

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thanks for the reply.

The Nutrafin IS Aqua Plus, so I hope that is a good sign. The other bottle says "Tetra Aqua. Easy balance. Eliminates frequent water changes. Add once a week to keep aquarium water biologically balanced. Stabilises the water's ph and mineral salt content (KH). Reduces phosphate levels helping algae control".

There is a U2 fluval filter suitable for a tank up to 110 litres. The seller said it was quite new. Should I go to my local Pets at Home to get a test kit?

I tried taking photographs with varying degrees of sucess, but I am having trouble attaching them to this message.

Thanks again, Ian.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ian. You're in safe hands here and we'll do all we can to help you get up and running. Ask lots of questions.... we like helping.  :)

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Hi Colin.

Thank you. Yes, everyone seems very friendly on here and as you can see Sue has been helping me. (Before I even knew I might have a problem).

I think I might have worked out how to attach photos. So (hopefully) pics of the two fish I was talking about to Sue are attached. The second pic isn't very good. He is upsidedown attached to the filter. Think the first one might be a small clown loach (about 5cm). Second one I was told is a plec.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »
Yep - that's a Clown Loach. The other photo..... well...... ??? You might want to look throught the pictures of Plecos in the 'Fish Profiles' section to ID him/her as there're many different species. Unfortunately, they all get too big for a 60litre tank.

...and "Yes", a test kit is vital. I would advise you to get one as soon as possible - not just wait 'till the weekend.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Thanks Colin.

I just popped along to my local pet shop. She doesn't stock test kits because she said they aren't worth it and that they cost £40 to £50. Is this correct? If necessary, I'll see if I can get one from Pets at Home.

Looks as though I might have to invest in another larger tank in the near future.

Offline Sue

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
The easy balance - don't bother. Do the water changes. I don't like things that give the impression that all water changes do is remove nitrate. There are other things in the water that need removing on a regular (ie weekly) basis. Things that are secreted by the fish and live plants. And the water changes will also get rid of the fish waste caught in the gravel (assuming you have gravel  ;D ) because water changes are done with a siphon tube with a wide end which is pushed into the gravel to suck up the muck. Did you get one of those with the tank?

The filter is fine for a 60 litre. Though the thing that does worry me is the "quite new". This could mean it isn't even cycled - that means it might not have grown the two colonies of bacteria I mentioned earlier. Or not enough bacteria for the fish you have.

Pets at home do sell the API test kit that I have (the one in the link I gave you) but it is £31 (and that's the reduced price on their website) :o If you can't run to that just at the moment, get the ammonia and the nitrite testers (they are only £9 each on the website). The big set contains pH and nitrate testers as well, but they are not as important just yet. Don't believe any shop that says you don't need one.
In fact lesson #1 for new fishkeepers - don't believe anything a shop says until you've researched it for yourself.

As for your fish, let them get settled first then think about what you want to do.
The angel will grow too big - they need at least 18 inches depth of water or they do a 'jaws' impression and their fins get deformed. Min tank size 100 x 40 x 50 cm
The clown loach also needs to go. They grow huge (over a foot), need to be in a shoal of at least 6 and a tank with a footprint of at least 180 x 60cm.
The plec could be anything from a 4 inch bristlenose to a 2 foot sailfin. As Colin said, there are no plecs suitable for a 60 litre.
I'm curious about the gouramis - you said you thought they were sparkling gouramis. Are you totally sure? If they are, you could have a group of them, but if they are something bigger (such as an opaline) they need a bigger tank.
The golden barbs and cardinals are fine  :D These 2 species alone take up two thirds of the amount of fish you can have. The only possible problem is that cardinals need 24 deg C minimum and the barbs like 24 deg maximum. You'll need to keep the tank as near 24 deg as possible.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thanks for that. I'm starting to think that the guy I bought this from didn't have a clue.

I was planning on doing regular water changes and I did get a syphon tube with a wide end included.

Money is tight at the moment. I am currently unemployed, but I will see what I can do about a test kit of some description.

As for my 2 Gouramis, I did say in my first post that I thought they may be Croaking Gouramis, but on checking your suggestion, I thing they are Gold 3 Spot ones (although they don't have spots). Photo attached if you can make it out.

The tank temperature is spot on 24C.

Offline Sue

« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Yes, that is one of the 3-spots not a croaking gourami. I'm sorry to say they need bigger than 60 litres.

You can get the water tested at some shops, but make sure they write down the actual numbers, not some waffly word like 'fine'. You need to know your ammonia and nitrite asap. It's that "quite new" filter that worries me........

Don't worry about the seller not having a clue. You have the tank and fish now, and you are educating yourself. It is possible that a shop might take the unsuitable fish from you and give you credit for them (they never give you cash) which you can use to buy different fish  :D

Have you found the community creator on this site yet? If not, go to 'fish profiles' at the top, click on any fish and scroll down to the bottom  of the page. Then just enter your tank details and add whichever fish you fancy. The CC will tells you if the fish are too big, not enough of them, incomaptible with your other fish etc. If you want to save it, you have to register for the CC separately from the forum.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
Hi Sue.

Yes, I have used the Community Creator and, as I am sure you have guessed, there are numerous problems.

This tank is too small for Angelfishes Clown Loaches are too large to be mixed with Cardinal Tetras Three Spot Gouramies are best kept in either singles or groups of five or more This tank is too small for Three Spot Gouramis Clown loaches must be kept in groups of at least 3 This tank is too small for Clown Loaches This tank is too small for Bristlenose Plecs Your stocking level (93cm) is above the recommended level (60cm) - See more at: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/clown-loach.html#sthash.s8zCXZea.dpuf

That is cut and pasted.

The 93cm of fish is obviously what they will grow to be and not their current size. I am fairly certain that my plec is a Bristlenose. I managed to get a slightly better pic of him which is attached.

I have started checking out larger tanks on ebay.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: