Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213570 times) 715 replies

Offline Philip

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello there, after a long gap I returned to the hobby 3 months ago and set myself up with a Juwel Rekord 800.

Tank is now fully cycled so busy stocking it up!

I look forward to meeting you all around the forum.  :)

Philip

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
Hello All (Again),

I say 'again' because I've already made one post without clocking in here.

Anyway, I was introduced to keeping fish about ten years ago when my civil engineering company was asked to include a large aquarium in a new office design. Whilst the structural design of the tank itself, along with the associated equipment room behind was straight forward, we had very little idea what else would be required to maintain the underwater world for fish, rocks and coral. It was when we brought in the experts to assist with the necessary equipment, plumbing and lighting designs that my eyes were opened to a whole new experience. During the following 18 months we were asked to include three more aquariums in building designs for other clients, as if we had become the new tank kids on the block. Needless to say the underwater world experts seemed to live in our design office during that period.

It was when one of the clients wanted a fresh water tropical tank that I decided to get my own tank at home. The equipment seemed a lot simpler and tropical fish had more of a smiley face than most of the brutes I'd seen in those reef tanks and you could have underwater plants too. Well, I was hooked (excuse the pun), but more so on the equipment side in order to get that near perfect tank with as little input from me as possible. I had the experts to call on, so why not use them.

I ended up with a 500 Lt tank with two Fluval 405 filters, two external heaters, a 5 hr per day Co2 injector, 5 stage RO system with a chlorine/chloramine zapper in the reservoir tank, a 50 Lt per day pumped drip feed water changer, LED lighting with dusk/dawn controller and an UPS system that would power everything for 3 hrs in the even of a power failure. After my daughter bought me an iPad, I then added WiFi monitoring of water condition/temp/level and a live camera. I just love gadgets.

As for the plants and fish, well the plants were made up of about twenty types all with latin names ::) and the fish were mostly small shoaling types, about twenty blue, about ten golden yellow, about fifteen red and two small catfish that liked gardening and digging. :-[ As you can see I learned very little about the different fish and plant species, I just like looking at their underwater world wondering if they appreciate all the hi-tech stuff they have.

At the moment I'm currently tankless and designing a new setup, as I've just moved house and the person who bought my old house wanted my previous tank setup too. So the adventure starts again, but with so many major advances in equipment, coupled with new retirement time I'm getting over excited. Hopefully this time I'll start learning something about fish species, but I still enjoy the shoaling type.

Nat

PS. The new lights will definitely be controlled 'Cree' LEDs, but after reading another thread here I'm not going to say much more. :-X

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Wow, that is a lot of technology for a first fish tank! I can imagine the discussions my husband and I would have had if we'd viewed your house and thought that there was a chance of inheriting all that kit! I think I'd have wanted to buy the house for the tank!  ;D

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Wow, that is a lot of technology for a first fish tank! I can imagine the discussions my husband and I would have had if we'd viewed your house and thought that there was a chance of inheriting all that kit! I think I'd have wanted to buy the house for the tank!  ;D

Hello Helen,

Not quite my first tank, that's were I ended up on my third tank. I went through the bigger and better stages like most people I suspect.

The couple who bought the house were already fish tank people too. I did check that they understood how to maintain the system for the little inhabitants sake.

Nat

Offline jesnon

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
Wow fantastic!

After my daughter bought me an iPad, I then added WiFi monitoring of water condition of a power failure.n/temp/level and a live camera. I just love gadgets.

Out of pure curiosity how does that work!? :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Wow fantastic!

After my daughter bought me an iPad, I then added WiFi monitoring of water condition of a power failure.n/temp/level and a live camera. I just love gadgets.

Out of pure curiosity how does that work!? :)

Hello Jesnon,

There is a good article here
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/equipment

and a few bits of equipment here
http://www.draquarium.com/

A Google search on "Aquarium Internet Monitoring" should open up lots of geeky ideas.

If you know your way around your home wifi network then it's quite straight forward, but it's not really plug n play stuff.

Nat

Offline jesnon

« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
My boyfriend is a Computer Scientist and very into playing around with stuff like that - perhaps I can get him to have a play to get him more involved in our whole tank! =D Sounds like a very cool idea even if it's too technical for my first tank anyway, thanks for the links!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Hello all,

After posting a few questions on the help part of the site I ought really to introduce myself!  I have been keeping fish now for 6 or 7 years.  I rented a flat for many years and pets were not allowed...except fish.  Back then it was community tank with neons and dwarf gourami's with a male beta thrown in for fun  ::).  It ran pretty well.  When I met my lovely other half the tank moved and gradually there were unfortunate losses.  The new location was not ideal being in a hot conservatory but it was the only place it could go.  A new home later and we had not just a community tank but a friend had passed on a Rio 180 which we populated with 4 angel fish. 

A final move and the community tank had dropped to a few neons and a barb, while the angels were down to just 2.  Despite the risk to the neon there was no option but to combine the two tanks in the smaller tank (the larger one now resides in an outdoor shed) - oddly enough the neons survived well with the angels. My health has taken a turn for the worse over the years and care of the tanks was not within my ability.  The result was the loss of the final fish a few weeks back, despite efforts to keep things going  :'(.  The good news is that I am now on the mend and also this house is my own...no more moves.  Those who have read my requests for help will know that another friend asked if we could help her home some guppies so the smaller tank was brought back to life, with the addition of a new pump and some more neons with a couple of shrimp to aid housekeeping.  The tank now resides in a good, permanent location where I can tend to the water with ease - I was once told we don't keep fish, we keep water...the fish just happen to live there! - and so with luck be able to watch my little schoal bomb around like loonies :D

The help I had from the people on this site was useful and, more importantly, welcoming.  I think it sounds like a good place to come for advice.  I look forward to hearing from people as time goes on.   8)

Offline Markycopple

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
After having lurked for some considerable time (previous site & current updated site) I thought I should say hello.

I started keeping tropical fish in my teens and had 3 tanks running at one stage.  Then after a break of 20 odd years I decided to take the plunge and start again and bought a 4 ft tank of approx 260 litres net just over 2 years ago.  It was then I found out how much had changed in the hobby  ;)

I am running a mixed community tank with harlequins, black phantom tetras, red phantom tetras, cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, rummy nose tetras, blue gouramis, peppered corys, bronze corys, clown plecs and a couple of ancistrus.  The tank is well planted and I tend to do 2 x 20-30% water changes every 3 weeks,

I find the tank more relaxing to watch than the TV!  I haven't tried out the new community creator yet but intend to do that shortly.

Regards to all

Mark

Black Phantom Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (18) - Red Phantom Tetra (7) - Lemon Tetra (8) - Rummy Nose Tetra (9) - Three Spot Gourami (4) - Slender Harlequin (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Clown Loach (8) -

TigzFish

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »
Welcome on-board Markycopple. ;D

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thought it was time to introduce myself properly.
I started with a 60ltr Bi-orb Tropical setup (in my office at work), followed the instructions to the letter and could not understand why my fishies were not lasting very long.  So I spent seemingly days researching on the internet and discovered that  it was because i was following the instructions so carefully, so i threw them away bought, a test kit and I have not lost a fish in there since,  it's still at work, it's a cold factory so I run a heater on its lowest setting and I've had 2 goldfish and 3 zebra danios in there for well over a year now.
I then bought a 240ltr Fluval Roma with a 305 cannister for home,  it's not been without its problems but all seems well in there now (see gallery) currently housing a Pleco, various Gourami, Rams, Swordtails and a climbing perch, I also have a baby bi-orb with 2 leopard danios and a Male Betta in my kitchen.
So I have fish at work, in my lounge and in my kitchen so I can be mezmorised by them for the majority of my waking hours,
Thanks to the people who answered my first few questions and offered advice   ;D

Tank update..... my goldfish from work have been successfully re-homed into a huge pond, the 2 danios from the baby bi-orb are now residing in a 19ltr in my utility room while i decide what to put in it (leaving the male Betta on his own), then they will join the other 3 danios in my office Biorb 60.  to set the 19ltr tank up i ran a small internal filter in my 240ltr for a week and also suspended a net bag of ceramic media in the flow, both of which are now in the small tank.
My Pleco has been rehomed into the LFS  :'( and replaced with 5 Leopard Corys and 6 Rhomb barbs, all my tanks are doing great, i have got the hang of doing water testing now.  It's also very nice to get up in the morning to find my largest tank in the same condition as when i went to bed (The Pleco enjoyed re-arranging it for me overnight) although he was lovely to look at.

Panda Cory (4) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Zebra Danio (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Three Spot Gourami (3) - Honey Gourami (1) - Climbing Perch / Bush Fish (1) - Banded Gourami (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Panda Cory (5) - Swordtail (female) (4) -

Offline ady81

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
Hi all after a afternoon of aquatic gardening I thought it was about time I introduced myself.
I have been keeping fish since my granddad got me a tank when I was 12 and I have had a tank or two ever since. I worked In a aquatic store for a few years while at college and have kept a few different fish over the years. I moved house and scaled down 3 years ago as I was getting a bit obsessed with multiple tanks and it all got a bit much. At the moment I just have the single juwel rio 180.
looking forward to using the site and meeting you all, Aiden

This was the result after a afternoon with the scissors.

Emperor Tetra (24) - Angelfish (9) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (14) - Panda Cory (80) - Neon Tetra (36) - Otocinclus (12) - Neon Tetra (24) - Panda Cory (20) - Bolivian Ram (2) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (12) - Ruby Barb (12) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (12) - Panda Cory (5) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Otocinclus (4) - Panda Cory (14) - Neon Tetra (15) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Black Phantom Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (40) - Emperor Tetra (12) - Otocinclus (12) - Angelfish (7) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) -

Offline phil

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
hi iam Phil from Canterbury not long moved there and have kept fish many years ago ,so i have caught the bug for a new tank purchased a aqua 650 from gumtree got a real bargain it is up and running small community tank liked it so much for xmas my wife suprised me with the next size up a 850 it is up and running with a mix of tetras ,loach,golden barb and 4 angels  i have introduce 3 boseman rainbows but they are chasing the red fin tetras hope they will settle down and i thought they were good community fish?? hope to post a few pictures just find my way around the site looks very interesting

Offline ColinB

« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »
Welcome to the site, Phil.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Stan798

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Hello everyone. I got into fish keeping around 18 months ago when I bought an Aqua One 620T. I think it's about 130 litre capacity. The main reason for this was that it's a nice looking aquarium with curved glass (no corners). With hindsight though it's a little tall making it awkward to reach the bottom when cleaning the glass etc. However after much trial and error with planting (real and artificial) and different fish I am at a stage where I am happy with my set up. I currently have 2x peppered cory, 2x bronze cory, 2x albino cory, 3x black phantom tetra, 2x golden barb, 5x neon tetra, 3x leopard guppy, 1x red eyed molly, 2x loach and 1x electric blue ram. Everybody seems to be happy and getting along. I am looking forward to contributing to the community if and whenever I can.

Golden Barb (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (8) - Guppy (male) (5) - Black Phantom Tetra (3) - Neon Tetra (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) - Black Molly (1) - Japonica Shrimp (2) -

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
Hi all

I thought I'd introduce myself here before I post in the newbie section my current predicament.

I've just bought myself a Juwel Lido 120 fish tank to get back into fish keeping. I've had goldfish as a kid and a brief experience with a 30litre biorb that didn't do too well.

I'm hoping I can get this tank well established with plants eventually and have a sensible amount of fish.
I like the look of rosy fin tetras and some type of shrimp. I thought about a fresh water crab or two but apparently they  like to prune your plants!

Great site from what I've read so far

Mike

Offline ColinB

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »
Welcome Mike. Enjoy your stay here - there's plenty of good advice...... and some frivolous chat which is mainly mine!!!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

pmalipha

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Think I'd better introduce myself after already being in the emergency room!
My name is Paula and I've had fish for 3 years now. I did used to be on the forum, although I didn't post often. Think I just used my name on it. (am going to try and change the one I have just now as I was in a bit of a rush when I set the account up!).
Our original tank was a 60l tetra aqua art. We had so many problems with it, especially with the hood. After our 3rd hood gave up the ghost I decided to get a different tank as it would be cheaper in the long run. We now have a rekord 800 set up with live plants and our few remaining fish from the old tank. Unfortunately I screwed up and didn't take enough media from the old tank to seed the new one, hence emergency room visit.
Will take some photos of new set up. It's very much a children's tank just now. I have a 9 year old, a 7 year old and a 3 year old, plus I'm currently working as a childminder. The children all drew designs for the tank hence we have 'Bikini Bottom' (sponge bob square pants), 'The Dead Lands', 'Legendary Corner', and 'Mermaid Land'. I'm actually a freshwater biologist by training and can't wait for the kids to leave home so that I can set up a more natural looking tank! Mentioned a second tank to hubby, but for some reason he just squawked! I'm hoping that eventually the plants will at least screen Bikini Bottom and Mermaid Land off  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Paula.

We definitely want photos before the plants grow. ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
Mike - rosy fin tetras and shrimps, yes; crab, no  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: