Hi All

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 6423 times) 3 replies

Offline corky mills

Hi all
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks  ;) Just joined so I thought I would say a quick hello. Its been about 30 years since I last kept Tropical fish and I cant believe how much it has changed! My dad was a keen fish keeper, both Tropical and Marine. I have been given a tank by a mate of mine and I have got the bug again! When I say so much has changed I mean with regard to the health and welfare of the fish. Years ago you would set up your tank and leave it for a few days to settle then fill it with fish. But now its important to get the chemistry right by building stock slowly and testing water to make sure the balance is right. I am looking forward to setting up nice aquarium so I dare say I will be requesting some help from you guys who have a lot more modern experience than me. I am just at the cabinet stage at the moment so stand by. Hope to chat soon.

Regards..........corky

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (6) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Platy (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
Hi Corky...and welcome :)

Look forward to following your new tank with you...best of luck with it!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »
Hi Corky,

Things have changed enormously in the last 30 years. We understand the nitrogen cycle now, filter technology has improved vastly, and fish farming is now big business. The last one is a major problem. The conditions at the farms and breeding practices have led to weaker fish. You can no longer just put fish in a tank and expect them to live without massive water changes.

And the best way to start a tank is not by getting a few fish and building slowly, it is by doing a fishless cycle before getting any fish at all. This technique is less than 20 years old, so you might not have come across the concept.

While you are building your stand, can I suggest you read these two threads. this is the older way of fishless cycling, the method I used earlier this year, and this is a newer method which has only recently been worked out.

Offline corky mills

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  :D Thanks for that info sue. There is a lot to digest on this topic. I had been browsing the main site prior to joining the forum. I thought it would be a good idea to join and "pick" the brains of you guys who are well tooled up in the art of fish keeping. I was talking to my mate who gave me the tank and told him that we had been to an aquatic place that I used to visit years ago. I said it looked like the place had gone downhill a little as the tanks were not as clean as I remembered them. He told me that the days of the "spotless" aquarium is a thing of the past and its more of a natural environment you try to achieve now. I can see I have a lot to learn. There`s no rush, as I said I am just building the cabinet and want to make a nice job as an aquarium is a piece of furniture as well as a living thing. With the rubbish on TV these days it will be nice to sit and watch the fish! Thanks again for the kind welcome and I dare say I will post a question or to soon.

Regards............. corky

Cardinal Tetra (6) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Platy (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: