Hello

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 10455 times) 32 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Hello
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I thought I was being pretty radical buying a 180 litre tank (expected some time next week) when my current one is only 55 litres, but obviously you are in the super-league when it comes to tank size  ;D

Like you guys, I'm really looking forward to it. I've kind of figured out what's going in it. I will start with 8 silver tip tetras which I'm 'inheriting' (along with the mature filter medium) from someone else, then build up from there.

Will post piccies as soon as I'm organised

Offline ColinB

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
Now remember, children.... don't browse ebay after you've had a couple of drinks! :rotfl:

Hey Chris, what's the volume of your 10footer?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
according to the volume calculator here its about 1900 liters roughly  :yikes: good job i am not on a water meter  :rotfl:

Now remember, children.... don't browse ebay after you've had a couple of drinks! :rotfl:

damm colin now you tell me this  :vcross:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »
according to the volume calculator here its about 1900 liters roughly  :yikes: good job i am not on a water meter  :rotfl:

So.... glass + water + substrate = 2 tons.  *gulp* That's going to test your man-cave flooring!  :isay:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
solid concrete base.
The floor is not my main worry my main concern is the weekly water changes are going to be a little bit on the large side so iam looking into ways of building a drainage pipe from the tank direct to the garden drain or possibly to a external water butt for use on the garden then some sort of system to pump fresh water back in but obviously i still have much research to do on set up of saltwater tanks first  :o

Offline ColinB

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
Indeed - a 10% water change is ~200 litres. That's a lot of water.

If I had a huge tank I would make sure it was a tap water tank (I have 16ºGH and a pH of 7.5) and keep it as a room temperature tank (with a back-up heater set at 18ºC). I would understock it with Odessa Barbs, Golden Barbs etc. This would keep the cost down and the water changes low. Just getting the water-change water up to tank temp would be a hassle with a very large tank.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »
With such a huge tank, it would be well worth insulating it, e.g. by attaching polystyrene sheets to the back and sides. If you had a background, or first painted the back and sides, the polystyrene wouldn't be seen. You might be surprised by how much electricity it will cost to heat such a big tank, not to mention the lighting, especially if your garage isn't heated. I know people who have given up big tanks after the shock of their first winter electricity bill. If you go for a saltwater tank, you could also be spending a lot on RO water.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
It gives me the heebie geebies just thinking about the running costs for that monster!  :yikes:

Still, it will be a sight to behold once it's up and running - who's for drinks at Chris' Man Cave for the grand unveiling??

Offline ColinB

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »
Count me in!

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Thanks chris, ha yes ive moved a golf day to the following day just to have it a day earlier! Ahhh well when can we all expect an invite to the opening of the tank in your man cave??  :cheers: :fishy1: i have a tank in my mind that keeps changing slightly but the main fish in it are my 2 faves of angel fish which i want about 5 of them and a red tailed black shark. Ive had both before im my old
Tanks and grew quite attached to them. So other fish will be mostly smaller shoaling fish with colour, these are the ones i keep changing my mind on.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
I thought I was being pretty radical buying a 180 litre tank (expected some time next week) when my current one is only 55 litres, but obviously you are in the super-league when it comes to tank size  ;D

Like you guys, I'm really looking forward to it. I've kind of figured out what's going in it. I will start with 8 silver tip tetras which I'm 'inheriting' (along with the mature filter medium) from someone else, then build up from there.

Will post piccies as soon as I'm organised

I started with a 3foot tank then a 4foot tank now im loosing the length and gaining in size lol, 250 will be my biggest yet! Cant wait to see it on wednesday!

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
It's a bit addictive this fish keeping lark isn't it?
Not sure what the response would be when/if I announce that I'm getting an even larger tank at some point in the future. Still a little scheming and planning goes a long way and I'm always up for a challenge  ;D

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »
It's a bit addictive this fish keeping lark isn't it?
Not sure what the response would be when/if I announce that I'm getting an even larger tank at some point in the future. Still a little scheming and planning goes a long way and I'm always up for a challenge  ;D

Haha it certainly is, an expensive one too! Im in the lucky camp that my other half likes fish too, buts shes more of a they look pretty and cool and not the way we are in to them lol

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: