Help With New Fish Please

Author Topic: Help with new fish please  (Read 3240 times) 5 replies

Offline bettas are betta

Help with new fish please
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 60 litre Bi Orb Life which was running for 2 weeks without fish.  I went along to an aquarium and was told that if I added Safe Start to my tank I could add fish half an hour later.  I bought 6 Penguin Tetra which seemed to love their new home.  After 2 days I am now left with 3  :'(, and the 3 remaining are hanging together towards the bottom of the tank and are not moving very much.

I have done a 10% water change today (wasn't sure if was supposed to after the Safe Tank) and they seem to have picked up a little.

I am waiting delivery of a water testing kit and so cannot provide these details yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Help with new fish please
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Grrr! I hate these shops. They should know better than this. You have been misled I'm afraid. The filter in your tank has to be set up correctly in order to maintain the water in a safe manner for your fish. This task takes somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks and there is no way you can rush the process. The process of setting up your filter is called "CYCLING" and there are two ways of doing it; With fish in the tank and without fish in the tank. You have to go through the "Fish-In Cycle". Fortunately, one of our gurus, Sue, has written up a document that will help you along the way. It is here

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
Safe Start is the one bacteria product that works most often, but not every time. It does actually contain the correct species of bacteria (the rivals don't) but if it has been handled incorrectly at any time between the factory and your tank, it won't work.

Until your test kit arrives, start doing daily 50% water changes - make sure you get the new water the same temperature as the tank water, and remember to add dechlorinator. Once you have the test kit, you'll be able to see just how much water, and how often, you need to do water changes.

Offline Milton

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
Ive got a question on this topic.  Ive been a hobbyist for about 30 years and do most things my own way, and i have never cycled a tank as such.

I have a deep well for my water supply, and when i set up a new tank, its all done in the same day, including fish in, however just one or two, never fully stocked.

Is there such a thing as pre-cycled water, since its out of the water table in my area, just collected into my well via seeping in through the ground.

Cant remember when if ever ive lost a fish doing it this way.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
The reason we cycle a tank is that the water companies load the water from our taps with chlorine and/or chloramine. This is to sterilize the water; mainly to remove nasties such as e-coli and it's ilk. This also removes the filter bacteria we are trying to culture within the filter. Fortunately the water companies aren't 100% effective and so the bacteria we are looking for get through in tiny amounts. It is then our job to nurture and develop them.

Now as to your well. It really depends on who provides it. I am not familiar with the regulations regarding small wells, but there will be some. It will probably depend upon where you live, how deep the well is, how many people it supplies and the catchment area for its contents. It's worth noting that the primary source of water in south-east England is from wells. They tend to call them boreholes because they are humongous things and they are provided by the water companies, but it's still a well. Assuming yours is a small local job, it may not be disinfected.

A point to bear in mind is that we don't cycle the water; we cycle the filter using bacteria found in the water. It's a subtle difference but it's a difference nonetheless.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
I agree absolutely that a fishless cycle is only really cycling the filter. In particular, the process produces lots of nitrate so that a major water change is required before fish are added, so that the water is certainly not cycled.
What Milton is describing is just a standard fish-in cycle. Some people get very het up about this, saying that one is exposing the fish to dangerous levels of ammonia and so it's cruel etc. I have my doubts. I really don't think a small fish or two is going to produce that much ammonia in relation to the volume of water. If the tank is planted, the plants will probably deal with it anyway.
Having said that, I always "mature" my tanks for 4 - 6 weeks, or more, before adding any fish. This includes cycling the filter, getting the plants growing strongly and, I hope, establishing a biofilm layer on the substrate and plants. However, I want to add substantial numbers of fish from the start, rather than a few at a time, and so I want to be sure the system can handle them.
Incidentally, as far as I can ascertain, British water companies virtually never use chloramine, only in extreme drought conditions. The reason is simple, chlorine is far cheaper. Most of the worry about chloramine comes from the USA where its use is much more widespread thanks to their climatic conditions.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help with new fish please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 04:54:57 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 08:31:53 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 05:46:41 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 08:27:20 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2021, 09:14:40 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: