Hello

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4919 times) 5 replies

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Hello
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks and thought it time I jumped in.

I'm currently 2 weeks into a fish-in cycle, not the way I would've chosen to do it knowing what I do now, but that was the shops advice and I listened to them. I asked about a test kit and they said not to bother just yet as they'd test my water for me after two weeks to see if I could add more fish. I went and ordered a test kit anyway and am thankful I did as there's no way I'd have been able to keep the nitrite under control. After reading a few posts on here it seems I'm not the first to have been misled  ::)

I have a Roma 90l with ten Cardinals, 1 large bit of bog wood and 7 plants.The Cardinal's are getting on well, I'm keeping the feeding low and doing plenty of water changes to keep the nitrite low, the ammonia has never been high (maybe the API quickstart I got did actually do something) but won't add more fish until I get 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

I'm now at the stage of considering what's next, I really want a dwarf/clown plec but am I right in thinking I should wait a while until the tank's a bit more established so it has stuff to eat like algae (as well as the food I provide obviously)? I like the Chain Loaches also but they might also need to wait for a bit.

So my problem is this, with 11 x Cardinals, 1 x Clown Plec and 4 x Chain Loach it doesn't leave me too much room to stock the rest of the tank. I'd really like a couple of bright colourful fish that will get along with that lot and are about 6cm but they need to be quite hardy as they'll be my 2nd fish. I was thinking Dwarf Gourami but have read they can be a bit prone to sickness. Dwarf Rainbows were another that looked quite cool but are maybe a bit boisterous....

Just looking for suggestions really.

And thanks for reading, I didn't mean it to be that long an introduction  :))

Gav

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
Hello Gav, and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried the Community Creator on this web-site. You access it through any of the fish profile pages and it allows you to put your tank dimensions in and see how your stocking level is coming along.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
Hi Colin and thanks for the welcome.

I have had a look and I think it's all the choices that are available that are making my head spin  :))

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »
There are relatively few fish that like to be in pairs, most of the smaller ones prefer shoals of 6 or more, like your Cardinals. This would apply to Dwarf Rainbows, for example. A lot of people report problems with Dwarf gouramis, especially aggressive males. Personally I'd try Honey gouramis instead, though it's only the males that are very colourful.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
hi gave welcome to the forum  :wave:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
Personally I'd try Honey gouramis instead, though it's only the males that are very colourful.

It is getting very difficult to find wild coloured honey gouramis - they are the ones with the colourful males and greyish beige females. It is much easier to find the yellow colour morph, and with these the females are yellow as well as the males. Males tend to have orange towards the tail and females tend to have a darker stripe down their sides.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: