Author Topic: Fish dying  (Read 3458 times) 4 replies

Offline K8whitaker

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fish dying
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I am a new member here. We have recently set up a 145 litre freshwater tropical fish tank.

It has plant substrate and fine sand, with lots of plants and places for fish to hide.

To begin with, we have gradually added, 4 x male guppies, 3 endler guppies, amano shrimp, 3 dwarf corydoras, 3 albino corydoras and 3 honey gourami’s. It seemed to be going pretty well and all fish happy.

A couple of weekend ago we went to a different fish shop to usual and purchased, 5 neon green Rasbora, 6 copper harlequins and 4 x Otto‘s. Sadly upon getting them home, we noticed that they all seemed to have a fair bit of fin rot and what be believed to be cotton fungus. The shop themselves claim that the remaining fish are healthy. However we treated ours with esha 200 ( removed carbon filter) for 5 days. Unfortunately we lost 3 rasbora’s and one harlequin.

Last weekend we did a partial water change (25-30%), washed filter (in fish tank water) and added back the carbon. Now 3 of the 3 previously thriving albino corydoras have died in the last two days ( appeared to be struggling to breath) along with another harlequin.

We continually check the water (including ammonia) and everything looks pretty perfect.

Apologies for the long email, but we ate pretty stumped as to what could be the issue and would welcome any advice from those more experienced.

Thank you
Kate

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish dying
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:02:03 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad start to fish keeping  :(

It sounds as though the most recent purchases were sick when you bought them despite what the shop said. This is unfortunately all too common.

In the UK, eSHa 2000 is just about the strongest medication we can get. Since that doesn't seem to have worked, the next thing to try is daily water changes - of around 50%. Having a 180 litre tank, I know this is something you don't really want to do. But fresh water often helps fish.
You could also use salt - aquarium salt rather than cooking/table salt as they have anti caking agents added to them. Use at the rate of 1 heaped 15 ml spoonful per 20 litres tank water. Remove some water from the tank and dissolve the salt in that, then pour it back into the tank. At a water change, add enough salt to treat the new water only to keep the level in the tank water constant. After 2 weeks, stop adding salt to the new water and let water changes dilute the salt away.

For future fish, I would get another small tank to use as a quarantine tank. I discovered earlier this year that using plants in a quarantine tank means you don't need mature media. In a 25 litre QT, I used 2 bunches of elodea (bought at the same time as the fish) plus 2 large water sprite plants which I moved from my main tank, and this was enough to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero with 12 kuhli loaches in there.
Leave the new fish in the quarantine tank for at least two weeks and watch them for signs of disease. Move them into the main tank only when you are 100% sure they are disease free.

Offline K8whitaker

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:13 AM »
Thank you for your reply 😀

Am I correct in thinking some fish aren’t able to cope with salt? (We have also have shrimp)

Kate

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
Most fish can cope with salt for 2 weeks. The dose I gave is the lower dose for fish which can't tolerate much salt - tanks with only livebearers can take double that amount.

Salt should not be used full time because, as you say, some fish can't tolerate it. The majority of soft water will suffer kidney damage if salt is used for longer than a month, and high doses will burn the skin of fish like cories and loaches. But that dose is safe for up to 2 weeks.

Decades ago, salt was used routinely in fresh water tanks and you do see that recommended even now. It is this type of salt use that we tell people not to do.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »
Hi @K8whitaker  and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Sorry to hear that you've been so unlucky with your new fish.

A cheap quarantine tank is worth the money to avoid introducing problems to your main tank.

Best of luck with your fish, I hope you don't have any further losses, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish dying "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 07:17:12 PM
by BreatGritain
9 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
by fruitbat
34 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 02:53:27 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 10:46:27 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
by pollydoodle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: