Dying Fish

Author Topic: dying fish  (Read 12354 times) 34 replies

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
dying fish
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 65l tank of tropical fish, within 48 hours, I have lost 9 of them and 3 more look iffy.  I have a new filter, light and heater are fine.  I've had the water tested at the local aquatic centre and it was perfect.  have taken out 25% of the water and replaced with some water corrector for chlorine and hard water plus have added a treatment for bacteria in fish.  Has anyone else had these problems and if so please help me  :'(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: dying fish
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
Hi Gaynor,

sorry about your fish. It's horrid when they die and you don't know why.

can you tell us a bit more, such as what your water readings are ( perfect to a shop worker may not be perfect to your fish!!) what fish you have, how long you've had them and what symptoms you've seen, if any?

Also good to know your water temp, whether you have live plants and what your substrate is. Basically as much about your tank as you can tell us. this gives us a chance to work through possible causes and solutions.

FC76

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Hi Fishcake76.  Can't give you numbers as they do it by colour code but they we all well within the required parameters that I could see.  The are a proper Aquatic Centre and were really thorough and eventually had two of them trying to work things out.  I had 6 lemon tetras, neons, a bronze molly and still have 3 cherry barbs, one golden gourami, 2 neons, 2 zebra loach, an albino plec and a bristle nosed plec.  I've had the cherry barbs for 18 months and have added the others bit by bit, the loaches are the newest but seem fine.  I have gravel in the bottom, plastic plants (I know, not good but easier) and water temp is between 22 and 24 degrees.  I leave the light on for roughly 10 - 12 hours a day.  They are nowhere near drafts or radiators.  I never used any sprays near them either.  I feel like a murderer

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
In your first post, you say you have a new filter. May I ask when you changed it and what you did about cycling the filter medium. If you just hoicked your old filter out and replaced it with a new one, media and all, this is where your problem lies.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
The new filter jumped out at me as well, although if this is the case it should have produced some adverse readings when your water was tested. That said, as fishcake has mentioned, water tests carried out by shops aren't always that great  :(

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
And 'within the required parameters' is meaningless as there is only one good value for ammonia and nitrite, and that's zero. Anything other than zero is not good.
I would seriously consider buying your own test kit. A liquid reagent one with test tubes rather than strips. On-line is cheaper. If you get samples tested at a shop again, ask them to write down the numbers.

In the mean time, my thought was the same as Steve's. If you have just replaced the whole filter, media and all, you need to do a lot of water changes as you'll be in the middle of a fish-in cycle. You need to stop ammonia and nitrite ever getting above 0.25.
The bacteria treatment is unlikely to help unless it's Tetra Safe Start and even that won't work if it's been handled incorrectly during its transit from the factory to your tank.

You mentioned using something to correct for hard water - can you tell us exactly what that is please? I've not heard of anything for correcting hard water, though I do know there are chemicals to lower pH - and use of those is not recommended.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
Are the fish showing any symptoms?? Disorientated swimming , gasping at the surface???.   When did you last clean your gravel, the reason I ask this is that a couple of us have had unexplained deaths after disturbing pockets of hydrogen sulphide. do you have your own tests that you can do?? Water quality is usually the place to start with these things, so exact numbers would be useful.

Also, from looking quickly on fish profiles i think you could be quite over stocked.

I've just read steve's post and he is quite right, a new filter wont have sufficient bacteria to support the amount of fish you have. If it is a brand new unseeded filter then do you know anyone who has a mature filter that could give you some of their filter media??  In the mean time you really need to do a big water change to lower that nitrite and ammonia.

FC76

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
my old filter was very basic and on it's way out, hence the change but my first fish died before the filter change???  I will look to get a better testing kit though. my ammonia was zero apparently and no idea of the number for the nitrates.   I've already done one partial water change and the bacteria infections treatment is Melafix, the remaining fish now seem to have perked up though which gives me hope.  The Water Conditioner treats chlorine and neutralises heavy metal, not hard water (my mistake - sorry).  It's by Aqua Care and I've used it from the start.  I did wonder if the tank was over stocked including the two small plecs I had 17 fish??  I've been using PURE capsules which I have added to the filter and placed in the tank.  I cleaned my gravel about 8 days ago.  The new filter is a Fluval and has 3 separate cartridges inside.  Think I will have to see if they survive the night, if they do then hopefully things will continue to improve.  It's so hard, knowing a little bit but actually not very much so thank you so much for all your messages.  Can anyone actually recommend a tester kit please?

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »
The API liquid tests for nitrite and ammonia are most popular. The ammonia test uses shades of green to tell you how much ammonia you have with yellow being 0. A lot of people struggle to see the difference between the palest green and the yellow but once you've seen the yellow you can see the difference more easily!!

I also use the esha quick test strips, these give you nitrate, nitrite, GH, PH and KH and C12 (chlorine). They may help you sort out your water hardness, in that you'll have a good idea of what fish suit your water.

FC76

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
thanks for that info Fishcake76,  You will be pleased to hear there have been no more deaths.  I was dreading this morning but they all seem fine.  I have to continue with the Melafix treatment for 6 more days but will get the API liquid tests for future checking, I already have the quick test strips.  The relief I feel right now is unbelieveable.  Thanks so much for your help  :fishy1:

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
What did you do with the media for your old filter? Hopefully, you saved it and put it into your new filter! If not, you will have to cycle your new filter. Although we talk about "cycling a tank", in reality we are cycling the media within a filter. Some of the bacteria we are trying to cultivate will grow in other areas but the vast majority is in the filter media. If you have thrown this away you are now doing a "fish-in" cycle. Please read Sue's excellent treatise on the subject here.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
OK, amateur alert. What is media?? Sadly I didn't keep the old filter which had a sponge insert, this new one has cartridges but there was nowhere in it to put it in the new filter as they are very different.  I got an all in one aquarium to begin with and the filter was basic, the new one is a better quality one.  how long does a 'fish-in' cycle take??

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
Media is whatever is inside the filter. It can be sponges, cartridges, ceramic noodles, carbon etc. These are the home to the bacteria which 'eat' the ammonia which is excreted by the fish, and the bacteria that 'eat' the nitrite made from this ammonia.

How long a cycle takes is very much a 'how long is a piece of string' type question. There are so many variables that affect the cycle that it is impossible to give a duration. What you need to do now is monitor your ammonia and nitrite at least once a day and do a water change every time you see either of them approaching 0.25. The link that Steve gave you goes into more detail.

The new filter will probably say to change the cartridges every x weeks. Don't. If you do this, you'll never cycle the tank. The reason they say to change the cartridges is because the majority of this type of filter have cartridges that contain carbon. Carbon adsorbs things onto its surface, and it gets full quite quickly. But you don't actually need to use carbon. Once it gets full it'll still work as a home for the bacteria, just not quite as good as sponges etc.

One of the uses for carbon is to remove medication from the tank after treatment has finished. You have been adding melafix, and as the filter, and therefore cartridges, are new, the carbon in the filter will have been removing the melafix. This is another downside to cartridge style filters. Once the carbon is full though it won't remove any more medication unless it is one that binds strongly to carbon in which case it will displace what's already on there and stick in its place.

On the subject of medication, melafix is not very strong. It is more akin to us using dettol on a cut to stop it getting infected. If an infection does get in, dettol won't cure it, we need a stronger medication. To cure a fish infection, something stronger than melafix is needed.
According to API, melafix is just melaleuca as cajeput oil. In other words, tea tree oil.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
EDIT - typed this at same time as sue typed her reply but have left it as it was!

Media refers to the sponge/cartridge that is in your filter. This is what the good bacteria that you want grow on. they also grow on the tank glass and in the substrate and on your decor but the filter is their main breeding ground.

Read sues fish in cycle article it will tell you all you need to know. Steve has put a quick link in his reply (i don't know how to do that!!!!)

To quickly answer you're question tho, it could take weeks or months. Due to the amount of fish you have you will have to be REALLY on top of you're ammonia and nitrite readings, keeping them at 0 if you can but never letting them go above 0.25. If this means daily big water changes then that is what you'll need to do. the fish will be more stressed by swimming in toxic water than by daily water changes.  If you let it build up, you will most likely lose more fish.

If you can bear it, then it might be an idea to try and reduce the amount of fish you have in your tank and i would start with the loaches and the plecs as they need  a much bigger tank than you have. They may be little cuties now but they grow into monsters!!!!! Try speaking to the shop you got them from and see if they will take them back but don't be surprised if they wont as you have had some deaths so they may be reluctant to risk the chance that it is actually a disease.

Other wise you could try advertising them but please make sure they go to someone who knows what they are doing!!!  ;)

You could also consider getting a bigger tank!!!!!!!  Make sure you cycle it before you put fish in tho!!!!!  :))

Offline SteveS

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
Both Sue and FC76 are being a bit pessimistic I feel. You have had your tank for 18 months or so according to one of your earlier posts. I am assuming that, for the most part, everything was hunky-dory until you changed your filter. This means that you had a complete working bacteria colony. As I mentioned before, this exists throughout your tank, so it should swish into your filter. The longest bit of a cycle of any kind is waiting for stray bacteria to escape the water authority who sterilise the life out of the water they supply you.

So it's still "how long is a piece of string" but I would probably rephrase it as " how long is a short(ish) piece of string"

Fishcake76 or if I may be so bold, Fishcake, in order to add a link you need to add the following to your reply
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.google.co.uk]Google[/url]

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Steve is quite right, I'd missed the bit about the tank being 18 months old  :-[

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
OK peeps I'm with you now.  So cycling a tank is like when you first get a new one and you set it up but don't put the fish in until the water is 'right'.  Think it took mine about 4 weeks initially.  I'll get the better testing kit for the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Changing the water every day is not a problem IF I have too, just want to keep the fish that I have.  Right now, I only have the two plecs and they shouldn't get any bigger, 2 loach, 3 cherry barb, 2 neons and a one eyed gourami called Nelson, so will leave it at that.  I'm certain they won't take any of them back, but I will talk to them about it.  I will persevere because I generally find them so beautiful and often funny to watch.  Anyone who says fish have no personality, has never kept them because mine have kept me endlessly entertained.  I will let you know how it all goes.  I found the link btw and have bookmarked it so I can keep going back to it, thank you Steve for the link and thank you all of you.  This has been so helpful and understanding some of the terminology has made it easier  :wave:

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
So cycling a tank is like when you first get a new one and you set it up but don't put the fish in until the water is 'right'. 

Actually, cycling a tank is the process of growing bacteria. They need a source of food to multiply, in this case ammonia for the first species of bacteria. This comes from either a bottle of ammonia solution (fishless cycling) or from fish (fish-in cycling). If no fish are put in a brand new tank, then just letting it run does not cycle it because no fish = no food for the bacteria. But if ammonia solution is added to this empty new tank, there is food and the bacteria will grow.
Once the first species, the ammonia eating bacteria, start to multiply they turn the ammonia into nitrite. Nitrite is the food for the second species of bacteria and now they can start to multiply too.
It takes several weeks for both species to multiply enough to cope with the waste from a tankful of fish.

The majority of these bacteria live in the filter. It is in the dark and the water flowing through it brings a constant supply of food and oxygen. They live in the biofilm, which is attached to every surface in the tank - that white cloudiness you get on the glass and have to wipe away to see the fish properly is biofilm. The bacteria do grow in the biofilm on the glass, the decor etc, but not as many as in the filter.
This is why you have to be very careful about the stuff inside the filter (the media) as it is stuffed full of the good bacteria. If you throw it away, you have to grow a lot more bacteria. This is why we were all worried about you throwing away your old filter, complete with its media and bacteria. Because the tank has been running so long, there will be a good number of bacteria on the surfaces in the tank, just not nearly enough of them for the fish in there. But as Steve pointed out, getting the bacteria to start growing is the slow bit. You already have some, so it won't take as long to colonise the new filter as it does with a brand new tank.

You do need to monitor both ammonia and nitrite and do water changes as often as necessary to keep the levels below 0.25. Once they stay at zero by themselves, you can go to weekly maintenance water changes.

You do really need to look at your fish though. You say the plecs are fully grown - bristlenoses grow to 10 to 12.5cm. Zebra loaches need a tank 120cm long. Golden gouramis (a colour morph of the three spot gourami) need a tank at least 90cm long. None of these are suitable for a 65 litre tank, I'm afraid.
The cherry barbs and neons are fine though.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
have you had your water tested if so what were the readings
also how do you clean your filters

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
Update for all those who helped.  No more deaths and my tank seems fine.  Got the API Water tester so I can get more accurate results.  I did have the Aquatic Centre check again and my Ammonia was 0.05, Nitrites 0.05 and my Nitrates were at 1.  I am very relieved

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "dying fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
17 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 08:53:30 PM
by Cinders
10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
by pollydoodle
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2019, 09:42:26 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 07:37:02 PM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: