Dying Fish

Author Topic: dying fish  (Read 12456 times) 34 replies

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: dying fish
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Update for all those who helped.  No more deaths and my tank seems fine.  Got the API Water tester so I can get more accurate results.  I did have the Aquatic Centre check again and my Ammonia was 0.05, Nitrites 0.05 and my Nitrates were at 1.  I am very relieved

Ammonia and nitrites really need to be zero how do you
clean your filters please 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
I would also ask if you have those figures quite right. The lowest ammonia and nitrite reading with the API tester is 0.25ppm, you can't measure between that and zero. Are the readings actually 0.5?
And the lowest nitrate over zero that can be measured is 5ppm; should the nitrate reading be 10ppm?

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »
I would also ask if you have those figures quite right. The lowest ammonia and nitrite reading with the API tester is 0.25ppm, you can't measure between that and zero. Are the readings actually 0.5?
And the lowest nitrate over zero that can be measured is 5ppm; should the nitrate reading be 10ppm?

how very true sue  8)

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
I didn't do this reading myself as the API tester only arrived today, I had these done at the Aquatic centre.  As for cleaning my filter, as it's a new one I'll just leave it for now but with my old sponge filter, I rinsed it in the tank water I removed and then added either a gel or Pure pearls just to give the water an added bit of help. The Aquatic centre have reassured me that the water is about as good as you can get it and considering the filter is only a couple of weeks old we were all pleased.  The tank however, has been functioning for 18 months

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
your getting readings due to adding a new filter its going
through a cycle i dont know of a test kit that can read that low
i would be suspect of the test  :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
If it was the shop that gave you those figures, it wouldn't surprise me if they got them wrong. The safest thing is for you to use your new tester and check the levels yourself. Ammonia and nitrite are the important ones as nitrate testers are not terribly accurate anyway. It needs a lab set-up for accurate nitrate.

Two things to be aware of.
Fluorescent lights (including compact fluorescent energy saving bulbs) can make the liquid in the tube look greener than it really is. If you still have any old fashioned, incandescent light bulbs, use that for reading the ammonia test.
The instructions for the nitrate test include shaking bottle #2 before using it, and shaking the tube well after adding the drops. These shakings are important. One of the reagents in bottle #2 settles out on the bottom of the bottle - all that shaking is to redissolve it. This also applies to other brands besides API.

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »
I think the Aquatic centre use a slightly more sophisticated system.  I specifically asked them to write down the numbers this time as I didn't get them last time, just looked at the colour match.  The point is that in the last 2 weeks, I have lost no more fish and they are all happy and eating fine.  No idea what the problem actually was as the deaths started before the new filter but 2 x 25% water changes plus Melafix everyday seems to have worked.  It is a better filter to be honest than the previous one.  I will leave it alone to go through the fish-in cycle completely but so far so good.  I'll test myself again in a few days  :fishy1: @ Sue, why would the Aquatic centre readings be incorrect, never had problems with them before and it's their living so surely they need to get it right.  I will test in the daylight as I know readings are more accurate to read in daylight

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
i wish there was a way to give a thumbs up on here sue that is excellent
advice you taken the words out of my mouth great minds thing alike

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
Obviously I don't know what the testers the shop uses, but all the ones intended for home use can't measure as low as 0.05 for ammonia and nitrite. It is possible they have invested in a much more expensive set of testers that can measure that low.
It'll be interesting to know what the API test kit makes of your water levels.  :)

With a fish-in cycle you do need to test every day.

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
The kit they have looked massive and complicated but then it would to me lol.  They only do fish, marine, tropical and ponds.  I've been testing every day with the strips as that is all I had but will test with the API tomorrow and let you know how I go  :)

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Quick update. PH between 7.2 and 7.6, Ammonia between 0 - 0.25, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate was between 20 - 40. Will retest tomorrow.  I know the Ammonia should be 0 but new filter only been in just 2 weeks

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
Keep an eye on it, don't let the ammonia get much higher than that.

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Good news.  Ammonia levels are as close to the 0 colour on my Master Tester kit as I can get.  Nitrites 0, Nitrates 40.  I did the higher range PH as the ordinary one is at the highest level of 7.6 and the high range came back at 8.2.  This area is a very hard water area, I do use a water conditioner every time I clean the tank or change any of the water.  Any suggestions on how to lower this and can it be a serious danger to the fish? Thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
Altering pH is not something to be undertaken lightly. Because your water is hard it is likely to have a lot of carbonate (KH) as well as calcium and magnesium (GH) and carbonate buffers the water against pH changes. This means that if you add a pH down type of chemical, the water will resist it and the pH will drop initially then rise again, and this yo-yoing pH is bad for the fish.
You could try putting a lot of bogwood in the tank, but if the water is really hard that won't have much impact, I'm afraid.

Hardness is more important than pH to fish. Do you know how hard your water is? Your water supplier's website should have it somewhere. It is much better to have fish that are happy in your water rather than try to alter the water to suit a fish species.
The first thing to do is find out the hardness, making note of which units the site uses - there are several they could use, a bit like feet and inches versus metres and cm. Then look at the fish you have/would like on Seriously Fish for their preferred hardness and pH, and also minimum tank size. Finally, enter your tank and fish in the community creator on here to see whether the fish would be OK together, and how stocked the tank would be. (Have you found the CC yet?)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
There's a couple of things Gaynor that sprang to mind while I was reading this. Firstly did you take the carbon pad out of the Fluval filter before you put the meds in? If you didnt the carbon will have absorbed the meds you put in and would indicate that it was something other than illness that was causing them to die.

Also 22-24 degrees seems a bit low as a tank temp for the fish you have.

Sympathies on the hard water btw, mine comes out the tap as liquid rock :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "dying fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
17 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 08:53:30 PM
by Cinders
10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
by pollydoodle
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2019, 09:42:26 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 07:37:02 PM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: