White Spot Outbreak

Author Topic: White spot outbreak  (Read 4916 times) 6 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
White spot outbreak
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a white spot outbreak  :( I think I caught it reasonably early and a lot of fish are showing no symptoms with some showing just a few spots. However two or three Rummy nose tetra's look on the way out, they keep doing floating head stands and drifting before seeming to recover for a while and then floating around before seeming to recover again. I have treated the tank and if I understand the White spot life cycle there should be no further infection as the little sods will be killed when they start swimming.

Should I remove them? I have no quarantine tank or should I leave them and hope they recover?

Also, after treatment should I get some carbon to remove the meds or just let normal water changes sort it?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: White spot outbreak
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »
I would leave the rummies in the tank and only remove them if you are sure they won't make it.

The trick with whitespot is to follow the medication instructions to the letter. Stop too soon and some late developers could miss being killed and go on to infect fish.

A big water change once treatment has finished will remove a lot of the med. The last bit is best removed by carbon. Two small batches, changing the first one after a couple of days, will remove more than one big batch.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
Thanks Sue. Not keen on doing big water changes, how about lots of small ones and carbon?  :)

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
Lots of small ones would be fine. I usually say do a big one as most people seem to prefer to do just weekly changes.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:51 AM »
Well they all made it  ;D Day 7 today which according to the med instructions is the final day and if all clear carbon can be added. None of the Rummie's are floating or doing headstands anymore and all clear of spots, same for the Harley's. I am still a little concerned as a couple of Cardinals have a few spots but they look like old marks rather than new spots and seem healthy. Basically the treatment, (Interpet Anti White Spot) says to dose on day 1, then repeat on day 4. Should be cleared by day 7 but can be repeated if necessary. Should I

A) Water change and add carbon
B) Add another 4 day dose of med
C) Neither, wait and see

Ta  :)

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
I'd do a water change and add carbon but keep a close eye on the fish and be prepared to do another round of treatment if necessary - and if it is needed, add an extra dose on the end next time.
I assume you turned the temp up? Leave it there a few more days till you are certain the whitespot has gone, then turn it down slowly. The high temps will speed up another round if that is going to happen, and will save you turning the temp back up again if it does.

You can tell I'm a pessimist when it comes to fish diseases, can't you  :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »
Although white spot is a disease that people worry about, it's actually one where the treatment usually seems to succeed. I've only had to treat for it once, with some fish I inherited with a second hand tank. I didn't turn the temperature up, didn't do large water changes or use carbon afterwards, the disease went away and I had no subsequent problems, snails and an amano shrimp were unaffected.

I'd not stop the treatment too early, there is always the chance of a comeback if you do, better safe than sorry.

It's the internal diseases that are more problematic.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "White spot outbreak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
by evan47
41 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 05:03:03 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 08:35:01 PM
by biffster
8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
by Mogwai
28 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 04:15:11 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: