Author Topic: What to do about my Cardinal ...  (Read 2887 times) 4 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
What to do about my Cardinal ...
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have six young Cardinal Tetras in quarantine after buying them last week.

All had been well, all week, until this morning when I noticed that one is hiding away from the rest.

No signs of whitespot or Neon Treats disease, nothing physical.

He joins the shoal for a brief time but then hides away again.

I've seen no fighting or chasing, behaviour-wise they all seem fine.

He might look a little thinner than the others but is nicely coloured as they all are.

Water parameters are all normal and the tank has had two 20% water changes during the week.

I don't have another tank to separate him for treatment.

Should I treat the entire tank with eSHa 2000? Or should I wait and see? Or is there anything else I could do?

Any advice welcome.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: What to do about my Cardinal ...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
If you've only had them a week, you still have at least a week to go in quarantine. I'd wait another couple of days. This one will either get better or worse. And the others could join him or stay as they are. When you know which option is happening, that's the time to take action.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice Sue.

I'm sure you can sympathise with the feeling that not doing anything is frustrating. But your advice is sensible.

I'll sit on my hands and watch and wait.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
What is the decor situation like in your QT, if any?  How extreme is the "hiding away"?  If it's very extreme, then I'd be on the lookout for any other behaviour changes over the next week or so, but, if it isn't too extreme and there aren't any other behaviour changes, it's probably not much to worry about.

When I got my x-ray tetras 9+ months ago, one of the smallest two had a tendency to "take time out" from the crazy chasing that the others were doing (presumably establishing their place in the hierarchy) and from playing in the filter current with them - he seemed to enjoy staring at his own reflection in a separate section of the tank. However, over time, their behaviour has changed with different ones deciding they like being on their own (one female had a tendency to hide in the cave ornament for ages after water changes) or pairing/grouping off differently.

When I put my harlequins in the QT 2+ months ago, the smallest one started breaking off from the other 5 and occasionally being chased by some of the others. He hid for some time behind a fairly large ornament in the tank; eventually, I removed that ornament and replaced it with a silk plant which meant that he didn't develop the habit of hiding away too much as I feared may have been the "downfall" of the first of the two pygmy cories which died. Since they've all been in the main tank, he is still the smallest, and the one most likely to sleep highest up in the tank above a plant or be last to get food (or lose it from his mouth in the excitement of getting some) or occasionally be chased by another harlequin or even to shoal with the similar-sized pygmy cories; however, none of these is so extreme that it's concerning me eg he's not hiding inside the cave-like ornament and doesn't seem perturbed. I've been ensuring that post- water changes and re-instating the furniture (ornaments and silk plants), there is nowhere so "cut off" from the remainder of the rest of the tank that any fish could become too isolated and a recluse.  I appreciate that if you've got real plants, though, then there may be less scope to rearrange the decor to prevent this sort of situation.

Hope that insight to my experiences is helpful/reassuring - and hope it all works out ok.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
Very reassuring thank you fcmf.

This morning I'm looking at a shoal of 6 again, and nothing seems untoward.

Perhaps this little fish does indeed like an occasional time-out.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What to do about my Cardinal ..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 05:05:35 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:18:28 PM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 08:28:56 AM
by Sue
36 Replies
Last post July 22, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
by fcmf
38 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: