What Have I Done?!

Author Topic: What have I done?!  (Read 3411 times) 7 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
What have I done?!
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
What a fool! :vcross:

Fishkeeping and alcohol don't mix!! After a few too many I decided I needed my bed so I went to switch off the tank lighting but when I woke this morning I realised I had switched off the filter and heater too. :yikes:

Luckily it was a mild night and the temp only dropped from 25 to 20. I switched them back on which caused the tank to be filled with gunk. Ammonia and Nitrites were both .25 but all the fish look ok at the moment. I did a quick 25% water change and the tank looks pretty clear now.

I guess it's now about whether the filter bacteria survived? Is a 25% water change enough for now? Is there anything else I need to do other than not feed and keep checking the water?

Be careful this Christmas!  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What have I done?!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
The filter bacteria are a lot more robust than people realise. It does take quite a long time for them to actually die; they become dormant first. Because you switched back on within a few hours they shouldn't have come to any harm. I had a planned power outage last year for 8 hours, and your filter won't have been off much longer than that. I have also forgotten to turn the filter back on after a water change and only discovered it next day without anything happening to the fish.
It is common for filters to spit out gunk when turned back on, you'll remove that during a water change. Your ammonia and nitrite had risen as the water wasn't going through the filter and the bacteria on the surfaces couldn't cope with all the ammonia the fish made during the night. Once the water started to circulate back through the filter, those bacteria would have started to do their job.

Keep an eye on your water for the next few days just to be sure, and feed the fish slightly less than normal (less food = less ammonia). And water changes if the tests show a reading over zero - hoover up the filter gunk at the same time.

And ask Santa for a timer for the lights  ;D

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
Thanks Sue, reassuring. I do actually have a timer but it usually goes off with the room lights on so the fish are not suddenly plunged into total darkness. As I was going to bed early I decided to switch them off while the room lights were still on.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »
Fair enough.

I have just bought a small moonlight LED which I will set on a separate timer to turn on shortly before the main tank lights go out and turn off an hour after the main lights. Well, I say bought - I got it on Ebay and selected delivery to Argos as I didn't want it caught in the Christmas post, but the seller used 2nd class post so goodness knows when I'll actually get it  >:( It's for the big tank which is in the dining room so I've been leaving the room lights on for an hour after the tank lights go off. Once it's been up and running a week or so, I'll put a review in that section.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Never thought about one of these but they look interesting. Which one did you get? There are some clips running along the top rear of my Roma 200 which I could use.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
I use electronic timers for my lights. They usually have a button that you can press to temporarily override the programme. Of course, if you're half-cut it may be a good idea to label them...

Sue, I am planning on getting a moonlight LED strip for my forthcoming Roma 240 too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
I didn't want to get a whole fluorescent-tube style LED as there's not much space left in the hood to put one. They can't be used in place of fluorescent tubes with the ballast I have so I went for a mini one. This. It has just 6 LEDs but I'm hoping it will be enough for the transition between tank lights and total darkness. It can go under water and attaches with suckers, though I'll have to play to find the best place. I don't trust suckers to last more than a few months. Maybe I'll find some way of fixing the bracket to the underside of the hood.

I do actually have one already. I was in a hurry when I bought it and accidentally selected the white one instead of the blue one  :-[ But my QT doesn't have a light and the white one is perfect for that.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
my 5 ft tank has one of the most complicated light  systems i have ever saw but i grown to like it now because it has both day and a light night light built into it at the pre set time in the morning it gradualy increases  from its night light up to full day light over 30 mins then during the day it goes into 5 seperate cloud cycles were the light gets a bit dimmer to simulate clouds passing by then at the end of the day the light dims down again over a 30 min period to its night time setting but its night settings run to a moon cycle so it gets a little darker every night over a 14 day period till eventually it gets to a point were the is no moon (no light for 2 nights )then it starts to get a little lighter every night till get a full moon .
sounds very complicated and it was but once mastered its a great bit of kit that i have to admit i would be lost without now

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: