Villain Platy

Author Topic: Villain Platy  (Read 3160 times) 5 replies

Offline Maradufu

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Villain Platy
« on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Seven week old tank, began with 6 Danios after two weeks and then added 4 Platies after a further two weeks. Two weeks later added a further 3 platies - all platies are male! One of the original platies took an unhealthy interest in the bag containing the new ones and is aggressive and has now chased to death one of the new ones. I can't catch the blighter in my 190L corner tank, any ideas how best to deal with this? Water tested and is kept clear of the usual toxins.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (3) - Rosy Barb (4) - Golden Barb (2) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (3) - Glowlight Danio (6) - Guppy (male) (3) - Bulldog Catfish (0) - Guppy (male) (3) - Sparkling Gourami (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Villain Platy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
Some fish can be more aggressive than their reputation says. It is quite likely that the aggressive platy took the 'top dog' position when you got the first four, then when you added the next three he saw them as challenging his dominant position.
My maths says you added the last three platies a week ago? Has the male in question settled down at all or is he still chasing the remaining two new ones? If he is still behaving aggressively, I would think about returning him to the shop, maybe see if they'd swap him for a different male. If you can catch him.
It is easier to catch a fish if there is less water in the tank ie during a water change. Using two nets, one to chase him into the other, is also recommended though with a corner tank you might not be able to reach to the back with both nets. Other people chase the fish into a jar or plastic bag. Do you have anything that could b used to herd him into a front corner; something large with holes in for the water to pass through (like a tank divider)? Failing all those, it is much easier to catch fish if there are only 2 inches of water but with a 190 litre tank, that won't be an easy option  :-\

Offline Maradufu

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
The update is that despite numerous efforts to capture the villain he proved far too fast and devious, in the mean time two of the original four platies have died having been chased and a third is highly stressed. This morning my son in law came by and caught the male and he is now isolated in a breeding box while we decided how best to move on. The shop I bought him from won't exchange the fish. Any ideas or anyone want a male Platy near Peterborough?

Platy (3) - Rosy Barb (4) - Golden Barb (2) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (3) - Glowlight Danio (6) - Guppy (male) (3) - Bulldog Catfish (0) - Guppy (male) (3) - Sparkling Gourami (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »
Make sure the breeding box has a lid or you'll be back to square one!

You could ask other shops if they'll take him, usually with nothing in return. Or advertise on aquarist-classifieds; advertising him as free will get more response. I assume that you'll give him away to get rid of him?

Offline Maradufu

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
Yes the box has a lid and to save his life he will be free. Other shops will have the similar biosecurity issues I guess?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
I understand that a lot of branches of Maidenhead Aquatics do take unwanted fish (if you are in the UK and there's a branch near you). Or just ask in all the shops you can think of.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Villain Platy"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 10:26:16 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 02:30:42 PM
by Greendragon
7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 12:24:45 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:01:51 PM
by graygang
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 02:26:57 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 07:03:01 PM
by Smurrayuk

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: