Urgent Now!!corydoras Fin Loss Loss Of Balance Pale

Author Topic: urgent now!!corydoras fin loss loss of balance pale  (Read 4892 times) 6 replies

Offline chester1o66

• Fishy Contributor
urgent now!!corydoras fin loss loss of balance pale
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ok, i posted in the other section quite a few days ago and people have been helpful...but im being told not to add meds YET.

Ive done a reading ammonia 0, ph 6.5-7, nitrites 0 - not yet tested nitrates but will asap.

Ive lots 3 albino corydoras in the last 2 weeks now and the 3rd one is looking very ill tonight.

Symptoms of ALL of the ones that were ill - pale colour, loss of rear fin, jagged, sore looking, body unable to keep to the floor, the other 2 begun to swim on their sides, upside down, unable to keep afloat, loss of appetite. I think it sounds like either fin rot, internal bacteria or dropsy?

I am going to be rehoming the fish shortly and really need to get this sorted. PLEASE HELP!! SHould i medicate them?? I have on hand Interpet Internal Bacteria, melafix, pimafix, and Anti Fungus and Finrot (Interpet)....

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: urgent now!!corydoras fin loss loss of balance pale
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
The problem is knowing what to treat the fish with. If you were in the US it would be obvious - an antibiotic. But we can't get antibiotics without a vet's prescrition in the UK. Some of the symptoms suggest an external bacteria problem, some an internal.
Of the meds you list, melafix and pimafix are the least useful. Melafix is more of an antiseptic than an antibiotic (think of it as dettol for fish, good for stopping infections getting in but not curing them once they have a hold) and I personally have not found pimafix to be useful, though it does say it treats internal and external bacterial infections.
One of the better treatments is myxazin by Waterlife if you can find a shop that stocks that brand. Or possibly eSHa 2000.

Since you already have it you could try the pimafix, though it has not been successful for me.  I have used both myxazin and 2000 for finrot and both did work eventually. Whether they would help your cories, I don't know.

Grasping at straws, you said you haven't tested your nitrate yet. I know that some fish are adversely affected by high nitrate, though I didn't think cories were among them.
What is your substrate like? Unless you have changed it to something sharp recently, it is unlikely to be this as you've had them trouble free for so long.
Do you regularly clean the gravel/sand on the bottom of the tank? Build up of debris there affects bottom dwellers more severely.

Offline chester1o66

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
Thanks Sue,
Ive not changed substrate, its always been small gravel...although ive always wondered if it should be sand. There are A LOT of empty snail shells now and im wondering that is affecting the fish. I regularly gravel clean, everytime i clean out actually - fortnightly approx.  I do one side one week and the other side the next clean, ensuring that I dont take all the naturally good bacteria from the tank.

I have Myxazin by waterlife, actually, but its half full and I probably bought it a good 4 years ago (too old to use??). I think i have access to a new bottle, but not until Monday.
I am out of town all day tomorrow so cant monitor the fish until tomorrow night.
I havent tested nitrate, but i hope to tomorrow before I leave at 10am!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
So long as the gravel is smooth, there shouldn't be a problem. It's gravel with sharp corners that can cut cories' mouths. Since the problem has only just started, it would only be the substrate if you'd recently changed to sharp gravel. A long shot but I needed to check.

Do you have any other fish (eg loaches) that could be eating the snails? If not, why are they dying? Is something killing them that could be affecting the cories? You haven't added anyhting to kill snails have you? Dead rotting snails could in theory affect the cories as they root round in the gravel after bits of food.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
So long as the gravel is smooth, there shouldn't be a problem. It's gravel with sharp corners that can cut cories' mouths. Since the problem has only just started, it would only be the substrate if you'd recently changed to sharp gravel. A long shot but I needed to check.

This might not be true, nitrates could be to blame. The 'barbel erosion' section in this is very interesting:
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/corydoras-genus

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chester1o66

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
sorry its taken so long - ok the Nitrates Ive tested are between 10ml and 20ml on the colour chart...the colour shown in the test tube was bang in the middle of the 5 colours on the chart. The chart goes up to 40ml and my tank shoes between 10ml and 20ml...probably more like 15ml of nitrates.  I know this isnt good, but it has been the highest on the colour chart before now.
Ive read that real plants can lower the levels of nitrate, the snails are currently munching their way through the plants.. i dont have a heavily planted tank.

Last night I had to euthanize the fish that was ill....it was horrible. I got home from work and the tail had completely corroded..just jagged and red...and the fish looked pale, poor thing:( It was on its back on the floor still breathing but couldnt swim or move... :(

Ive also tested the ph level of my tap water and its between 6.5 and 7 (same as the tank shows).

I am at the point now of putting in Myxazin...i havent done it yet, but thinking tonight...??

Offline chester1o66

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »
Can anyone suggest anything? I really dont want to lose anymore and they are due to be moved very soon to their new home.

Thanks

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "urgent now!!corydoras fin loss loss of balance pale"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 06:40:06 PM
by chester1o66
7 Replies
Last post January 26, 2015, 11:44:38 AM
by Fiona
18 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 08:49:16 PM
by Paddyc
15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 08:53:39 AM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 04:30:11 PM
by Ally2
11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 09:06:29 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: