Unhappy Platies

Author Topic: unhappy platies  (Read 4654 times) 7 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
unhappy platies
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

I guess this has been coming for a while and has been foreseen by many of you - but my fish are not happy.

Pedro has been scratching for a couple of days and doing sudden bursts of erratic swimming and this evening he went completely into hiding, which is very unlike him and he looks thin, even though they were fed yesterday (bearing in mind they are on light feeds due to my cr*p water quality) and is gasping. He is fin tucking too. I had a look in my Fishlopedia and his behaviour fits poisoning (most likely due to my cr*p water quality). What do I do??  Observe him and if he gets worse then take action if he does??  He still has the energy to chase the others but I guess he will, even if he is poorly (dying?).

Peppa is also causing me some concern as he is parading round the tank and attacking any of the other fish that dare to move. George is doing a very good impression of a bit of weed and he has been swimming with  his head up, which I understand is a sign of submission. Goldie is swimming in the same manner as George but is occasionally being brave enough to challenge Peppa.  Do I leave them to it and expect Peppa to get more aggressive as Pedro's fate is decided or do I take Peppa out completely?

The hierarchy I have watched develop is definitely Pedro as top fish, Peppa as second fish, Goldie as third fish and George at the bottom of the pile (I suspect because he is smallest?)

Incidentally, my ammonia had gone back up to 2ppm today. I had been doing twice daily water changes of about 10 litres a time until I got it down to below 0.25 then I went down to one water change per day, same amount of water. Yesterday I fed some Daphnia (freeze dried but soaked in tank water for a bit) instead of flake and they didn't seem to keen on it so I siphoned most of it out again today, could this have made the ammonia rise as I know it is a protein rich food which can affect the water. I did three water changes today of about 10 litres each and got the ammonia back down to 0.25. 

I'm very worried about them all and we are going away tomorrow for the weekend so I don't know what to do for the best. Part of me says let nature take it's course but part of me is eager to make things better for them.

Help!!

:yikes:

FC   :(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: unhappy platies
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Hey!

Quick update.

They all seem happier this morning. Pedro is swimming about happily and I haven't seen him scratch or gasp this morning and his fins aren't tucked in either.  :fishy1:

George and Goldie are out and about and although Peppa is still chasing them they do not seem too upset by it.

I have just fed them and they all ate well so I am not so worried now!

Ammonia this morning is between 0.5 and 1ppm so I'll do a water change before we go away for the weekend and then again when we get home tomorrow evening.

FC
 :wave:

Offline Robert

• Administrator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »
Glad to hear all's well FC!  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
Morning Fishcake, :wave:
That's good news, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Have a nice weekend :cheers:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
What a relief fishcake! All you can do is monitor your water and keep doing changes whenever your levels get too high.  Fingers crossed your chuckle will be a quick one and your fishies come through ok :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
You can do water changes of near 100% if the ammonia or nitrite levels need it. Leave just enough water for the fish to swim upright. With very large water changes, the only thing to watch for is to get the new water the same temp as the old. Such big water changes won't alter the water chemistry as you have been doing a lot of water changes already so the water in the tank will be virtually the same as your tap water.
Flashing is a sign of both ammonia/nitrite poisoning and whitespot, though in your circumstances the water is the more likely culprit.

A fish looking skinny despite eating normally could be an internal problem, either bacteria or parasites. Livebearers are prone to intestinal worms, particularly camellanus worms. You can tell if a fish has these by looking at it when it is not swimming - if it looks like the bristles of a child's paintbrush only red can be seen protruding from the anus, that's camellanus worms. You can't see them when the fish is swimming as they go back inside. Not that I think your fish is infected, just something to be aware of with skinny fish.

Offline Milton

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
Excellent reply Sue.  Water changes seem to help in a lot of cases.  Have you ever fed garlic??  Ive had good results with ridding internal parasites on new members to my tanks. 

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
Have you ever fed garlic??  Ive had good results with ridding internal parasites on new members to my tanks.

Intrigued! Not come across feeding garlic before - how do you feed it to the fish? Are we talking whole cloves, chopped, crushed or garlic supplements of some kind? Also, what types of internal parasites have you successfully tackled with this method?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "unhappy platies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 08:39:20 AM
by susie58
12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 06:08:23 PM
by Aquamaid
4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 04:30:42 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 12:45:54 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 09:53:30 AM
by rosaleen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: