Treating Ich, Help Needed

Author Topic: Treating ich, help needed  (Read 3693 times) 7 replies

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Treating ich, help needed
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i have recently added 6 5 banded barbs to my tank and hey presto, 3 days later i get an outbreak of ich.
the other tankmates are marbled hatchets, ottos ,black neon tetra and agassizi dwarf cyclids. plus one dwarf gourami.
not all of them are showing signs of ich but i intend to use heat treatment only as my tank is heavily planted.
any advice please? i am worried that not all of the species will make it through 2 weeks of high temperatures and i do not have a spare tank or space for one.
can anyone recommend a plant safe ich treatment please?

Offline jonesy37

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Treating ich, help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
ive used esha exit in the past (plant safe)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (5) - Cherry Barb (4) - Neon Tetra (10) - Bolivian Ram (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
I'm using EXIT right now because it's also supposed to be invertebrate safe. My problem is that you're not supposed to use water conditioners with it and I have used aqua safe dechlorinator because I don't see another way of changing the water without damaging the fish.
My lot are now into the last day of the extended dose but, to be honest, I don't see much improvement  -  though the snails are happily trundling about and munching.

I may just have a particularly resistant strain, but I would've thought the spots and everything would be gone by now. I know that's probably not the most positive review of this med, but others may have some better advice for you about EXIT  :-\

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
Quick update. Went into my office this morning and all the white spots seem to have disappeared! They were definitely there last night - would that be normal, for all the spots to disappear overnight?
This is the last day of the extended dose, so maybe I was wrong to be negative about EXIT, though there's still the problem about not using water conditioners and I'm not sure how you get round it.

Anyway, it was certainly OK with the plants and the snails!  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »
The spots do drop off the fish as a natural part of the life cycle. Exit claims to be able to kill the bug while on the fish; as far as I'm aware none of the other ich treatments can do that. With them it is very important to continue treatment after the spots have gone but Exit seems to be different.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks again for the advice. Tomorrow I was thinking of doing a 50% water changing and putting the carbon pad in the filter (haven't used it yet). Do you think that's right? How long should I keep the carbon in for?

Also, since someone else mentioned EXIT in the forum, I've taken the opportunity to email the company directly to ask for some clarification on the use of water conditioners with this product. I'll pass on any information I receive in the hope that it might benefit someone else.  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
Good idea on emailing the company  :D I do know that there are some products, not ich meds, that don't work properly if there is an ammonia detoxifier in the dechlorinator, maybe Exit is the same.

Carbon does indeed remove the medication. Leave it in there for 48 hours then bin it - together with all the med it has removed. And doing a water change first removes a lot of the med leaving less for the carbon to grab.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
Great, will do that thanks. :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Treating ich, help needed"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 11:46:43 AM
by Sue
41 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 05:03:03 PM
by Diz1
9 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 06:36:02 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 11:06:39 PM
by Ally2
8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 07:13:27 AM
by Matt
31 Replies
Last post February 09, 2019, 09:12:26 PM
by uv
0 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 04:22:37 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: