Author Topic: Tiger Barb with swim bladder worsens  (Read 4859 times) 8 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Tiger Barb with swim bladder worsens
« on: February 15, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Suddenly my poor Tiger Barb is far worse.

We found her like this:
#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

There's an open sore/wound near the base of her tail which wasn't there earlier today.

After a few moments lying on the substrate she began swimming in her usual strange nose-up manner.
I decided to place her in a breeding trap, near to the filter outflow where the water is well oxygenated.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

My hospital tank is occupied by my female Apisto and her eggs (or not, but that's another story)

I'm really struggling to understand what could have caused the wound, she was fine earlier, apart from her usual strange swimming.

I'm wondering if it's time to take the difficult decision to euthanise.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Tiger Barb with swim bladder worsens
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
She does not look well at all. Besides lying on her side in the videos she is also 'gasping for breath'. I think the time has come  :'(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
Very sorry to see this.

That is indeed a particularly bad case of swimbladder. I would have asked whether she was eating/behaving normally in between bouts of lying on her side, swimming oddly, etc, but, having viewed the video footage, it seems that she's way beyond that stage and beyond the stage of being helped by medication. In view of the way she is breathing so rapidly, I'm really sorry to say that I'd be almost certain that she's not going to recover from this. I've had one fancy goldfish who was prone to repeated bouts of swimbladder problems, and another who developed it gradually over time, but yours looks to be what I'd describe as "final stage" (and unlikely to survive the night).  :(

In terms of the wound, I wonder if she's either been nipped by another fish who has sensed her lack of wellbeing or whether she may have floated into the heater and been injured.

Maybe wait to see if others have an opinion too before deciding what to do. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. [EDIT: Sue and I replied at the same time again but she's confirmed what I was thinking and whose opinion I was hoping you would get too.]

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
She does not look well at all. Besides lying on her side in the videos she is also 'gasping for breath'. I think the time has come  :'(

Thanks Sue. I was expecting you would say so.  :(

Would you mind reminding me the best way of euthanising? I have Clove Oil ready ...

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »
Put enough tank water into a tub to cover the fish comfortably. Add 25 drops clove oil to a bottle with some water in and shake well. Pour into the tub with the fish and leave a few hours to make sure the fish is actually dead not just anaesthetised.

Good luck.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »
Thanks again Sue.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
@fcmf I just re-read this thread and realised that I had missed your reply, where you and Sue had posted at the same time.

Thanks again for your input.

I'm still baffled about the injury, I can't imagine any of the fish, even the larger Tiger Barbs being able to inflict a wound like this. Even though the Tigers are known fin-nippers this looked more like a pirahna bite!

Strange.

Anyway, I ended her suffering.  :(

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The poor thing, its so sad when fish end up like that despite owners best efforts. :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
I'm still baffled about the injury

I remember, when my aforementioned fancy goldfish was in a similar state on her final day, she developed an inexplicable wound like that on her side - she had no other tankmates - but I put it down to possibly the swimbladder or some part of her innards bursting through. In this case, though, it does look as though it's too far into the tail part for any part of her innards to account for this.

Tags: swimbladder 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tiger Barb with swim bladder worsens"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
by Cazzybaby
28 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
by Sanjo
3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 12:15:33 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: