The Emperor Is A Tyrant

Author Topic: The Emperor is a tyrant  (Read 7417 times) 10 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
The Emperor is a tyrant
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 75 litre tank which has 10 Emperor tetras in, the only other occupants being Panda cories. As with almost all my fish, I thought that a decent sized shoal would be good. However, the largest Emperor (clearly a male) has become a total tyrant to the others. Three of them have been driven to spend all their time cowering in a front corner of the tank under some low plants but even there he won't leave them alone, he goes in every so often and harasses them.  All of the others are more or less kept in their place as well so that some hardly seem to get a chance for food, as soon as they come out to feed he chases them back again.

One of the advantages of having a number of smaller tanks is that I do have some flexibility in being able to move fish around. Clearly the present tank is not big enough for all 10 Emperors (only one can really be "Emperor" of the tank I guess). I could move the bad boy into a bigger tank of bigger fish on his own, or perhaps with some of the others, in a bigger tank with more fish they would have more space to set up their own territories. Alternatively, I could move the most bullied fish into a tank with Silver Tip tetras and corydoras and hope they don't later turn into bullies themselves. Or I could take all of the Emperors out of this tank, divide them into two groups and put them into other tanks, probably swapping one half of them with some Harlequins to make room. In spite of the information here and on Seriously Fish I can't tell the sex of most of these except for the two obvious big males. It's also pretty tricky to net out the ones I want, particularly in a heavily planted tank and where most of the fish look pretty well identical.

Any thoughts on which plan might be most successful?

A few thoughts on Emperor tetras are that they are not really shoaling fish, they can be pretty aggressive and the Thinkfish figure of 3 cms typical length is an underestimate, most of mine are a good 4.5 - 5 cms. They are bigger than any of the other tetras I have.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: The Emperor is a tyrant
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
Your post is well timed as I have just added another 10 emperors to my 180 litre tank, making a total of 13.

I had just 3 males in this tank as that was all the shop had in. Maybe it is because they are males, or because I've only had them a couple of weeks - or maybe it's the bigger tank - but I've had no problems with these fish. Perhaps it is when there are both sexes that problems arise. I will certainly be keeping an eye on mine.

They are reputed to be peaceful; the only things I found during my research was people who had only one, or maybe two or three, having problems with aggression. Seriously Fish does say
One of the best tetras for the ‘general’ community setup. It is lively, peaceful and its colours offer a pleasing contrast to those of many other species. It’s a good tankmate for most commonly available livebearers, danionins, rasboras, other tetras and peaceful bottom dwellers such as Corydoras or smaller Loricariids. It can also be kept with the majority of commonly available gouramis and dwarf cichlids. Obviously it isn’t safe with larger species that may see it as food. In a South American-themed tank as described above, it can be combined with other peaceful tetras, pencil fish, Apistogramma and other dwarf cichlids.

Always buy a group of at least half a dozen of these, preferably 10 or more. It’s a shoaling species by nature, and will fare much better when in the company of its own kind. It actually looks far more effective when maintained like this anyway. Rival males are territorial with one another to an extent, but no serious damage is done during their battles provided the tank is sufficiently large and well-decorated.

Something I had better ask - do you have Nematobrycon palmeri or Inpaichthys kerri? SF comments that the latter can be nippy. Having seen both species in shops, I kerri were more difficult to sex with the difference being just the colour of the adipose fins. Mature N palmeri males have trident tails and different coloured eye rings from females.

But this doesn't help your problem.
Moving just the bigger one will cause the rest to sort out a new pecking order, which may or may not result in the same problem recurring. And the bully could well pick on the fish in his new tank - something I've read happening when there are only one or two in the tank.
I wonder if moving the bully and a few females (if you can manage to tell them apart) would be the best plan, with the idea that if he was the only male he would concentrate on the females without rivals.

Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest for the best  :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
I'm wondering if I have all males ............ They are definitely true Emperors. The dominant male has an incredibly bright glowing eye, when he stares at the others even I'm scared  :)

I followed the Seriously Fish advice by buying a group of 10. Buying online meant that I didn't choose the sexes, of course, but then I did only pay £10.56 for the 10 fish which were pretty big already. It's only recently that the problems have really arisen, probably as the biggest two males have fully matured.

The Thinkfish profile does say "However, they are known to fight and become troublesome, usually if kept in non-planted tanks." Obviously my tank is definitely well planted. Various books give similar warnings about possible aggressive behaviour.

I think I'll split them into two groups, putting 6 (including the biggest two) in a bigger tank and swapping them for Harlequins or Cherry Barbs, leaving the other 4 where they are for now. It will at least give them more room to space themselves out. It means a lot of netting though, the only time I regret having so many plants and bogwood.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:43:06 AM »
That's what I'd be inclined to do. I know all the literature says to keep them in big groups, but some fish just don't want to go by the book.

If yours all have blue eye rings, they do sound like males. The first three I got were definitely males - trident tails, blue eye rings etc. In the second shop yesterday most of the emperors in the tank looked like females. There were two or three with blue eye rings, the rest had pale green eye rings; more of a greenish silver, nothing like the strength of colour of the blue in the males. I couldn't go by the trident tail as even the blue eyed fish had nipped tails.
One other difference I have noticed - blue eyes have a yellowy border to the anal fin while green eyes have a much thinner one to none, though it could be that my new ones are immature and have yet to develop the border.

And I paid double that price for my new 10!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Did you split the emperors, Richard, and did it work?

I added 2 males to a tank with 3 males already there. They spent the first few days fighting and some of them ended up with quite ragged fins. However, since yesterday there is only the odd spat and they are spending most of their time trying to attract females. I presume they have now sorted out the pecking order.

The behaviour of your tyrant does seem to be unusual. There is always the chance of a rogue fish with any species.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »
I've split them into two groups of five. The five biggest have gone into a bigger (120L) tank where there are a lot more "active" fish to distract them, plus it is very heavily planted so that there are more places where they can easily get out of each other's line of sight. There is a fair amount of posturing and display, but because they are all about the same size (and all males) nobody can totally intimidate any of the others.

The five smaller ones  have gone into a tank with ten Silver tip tetras and three Arched Corydoras. When I put the first two in, they were immediately surrounded by the Silver tips, not biting but literally pushing them around. I  thought it wasn't going to work out, but after a short time they seemed to settle down and now each tetra species basically occupies one half of the tank. There's still room for more stocking in that tank and I'll be looking to add another type of tetra, hope they will all get along  :)

I think part of the problem was that the original tank wasn't big enough for the number of Emperors and I doubt if you will have the same problems in your big tank. In addition, that tank only had Panda cories as the other fish, while in their new homes there are other active mid water swimmers that seem to keep them distracted from focussing so much on each other. Before, the smaller ones were literally quivering wrecks, cowering in the bottom corner among the dwarf Cryptocoryne and getting chased back in as soon as they poked their noses out.

For a while, I thought I only had eight as that was all I could find in spite of searching the tank as thoroughly as possible. Because of the dense planting, it would be quite possible for a fish or two to die without me noticing. However, that evening I noticed another small Emperor moving very cautiously about, looking as if it could hardly believe that it wasn't being attacked. I put in a bit of food and it went berserk, swallowing very piece it could find in a few seconds. I suspect it hadn't eaten for a very long time. The next morning, I was looking for this small fish but instead I found another fairly large male! Where this one had been hiding before, I have no idea. He was staring at a small "cave" under the bogwood and I could see the little one hiding in there, which is where I suspect it had been hiding before. And so I do still have 10 Emperors and eventually did manage to get them divided. So far so good, but it will be a while before I'm totally confident that all will continue to be well.

Their original tank now only has the Panda cories, but I'm about to move 6 Checkered barbs in there and there will still be room for half a dozen of another small shoaling fish, yet to decide what.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »
An update to this.

The five larger (male) fish that I moved into a bigger mixed tank had been getting on OK. However, over the past couple of weeks I noticed that almost all of the fish (Pearl danios, Harlequins and Cherry barbs plus the smaller Emperors) were crowded into a small area in the top right hand corner of the tank. The largest Emperor had corralled them into this area, any that ventured out were immediately chased back, much like a sheep dog. I've had to move him again, this time into a tank with Ruby and Green Tiger barbs who are big and tough enough to stand up to him. So far he hasn't shown any aggression to them, and the fish in his old tank have dispersed again.

Emperor tetras are very attractive fish with a distinctively different look, but they grow much larger than is generally indicated, by some way the largest tetras I have even though this is not obvious from the literature. The larger they grow, the more aggressive the males seem to become, definitely not the "peaceful, quiet" fish suggested on the profiles here. I think they can only be recommended for a large tank.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »
When Sue mentioned her emperors earlier this week, I'd been wondering how yours were getting on. Thanks for the update - helpful advice for others who may be considering that species of fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I've not had mine long yet so they are probably not fully grown. The males are still around 3cm SL (standard length being just the body and doesn't include the tail). Thinkfish says up to 5cm max but doesn't say if that's standard length or total length, which includes the tail. Seriously fish says 3.5 to 4.2cm SL.
And SF comments
One of the best tetras for the ‘general’ community setup. It is lively, peaceful and its colours offer a pleasing contrast to those of many other species. It’s a good tankmate for most commonly available livebearers, danionins, rasboras, other tetras and peaceful bottom dwellers such as Corydoras or smaller Loricariids. It can also be kept with the majority of commonly available gouramis and dwarf cichlids.

They are certainly lively, the most active fish I've ever had. And so far, they are peaceful. Touch wood. They did chase a new female nannacara when she first went in the tank, but stressed female nannacaras look vaguely like female emperors.
But just on the basis of their activity I agree that they are best left for large tanks. Both Thinkfish and SF say the minimum tank size is 60cm long, but based on their activity I wouldn't keep them in a tank smaller than mine (107cm)

It could be you have a rogue fish, especially since you don't report this problem with your other emperors. And didn't you have all males? I thought I had 5 males, 8 females but now they've settled in I've discovered I actually have 4 males, 9 females. The males spend all their time showing off to each other and chasing females.

After losing so many fish in the camallanus worm outbreak, I decided that now I have a bigger tank I'd go for something different. Before I went for lots of small fish so I decided to get a couple of shoals of bigger fish. The emperors were the first, and after reading this thread I decided on a fish that should cope with the over-active emperors and chose cherry barbs. So far they've been fine together. The nannacaras don't seem to notice the emperors except at feeding time when the emperors steal food from out of the nanacaras' mouths (literally!). I also have the last remnants of shoals of smaller fish - 7 microdevario, 2 ember tetras and 4 green neons - and they don't have problems with the emperors. They aren't cowering in a corner or anything like that.
But I would not risk any fish with long fins with them (too tempting) or any fish that is sedate. This is why I no longer have gouramis for the first time since I rehomed the fairgound goldfish and got tropicals.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
A further update -

The largest male is about 5.5 cms excluding the tail, so somewhat larger than the generally indicated maximum.

I now have a clue as to the agressive behaviour of the dominant male. A while ago I noticed two very small fry had appeared in the tank, quite elongate with a pale line along the side. I thought they were Cherry barbs but today I had my first good look (they hide away in the plants) since they have grown larger and I realised they are actually baby Emperors. Another look showed me that one of the larger Emperors is actually a female so that I had 4 males and 1 female in the tank. I now suspect that the largest male had bred with the single female which would explain his highly territorial behaviour. In addition, I have just spotted another tiny fry which suggests that they have bred at least twice!

This is a very busy time for me but in winter I have more time and will be looking to reorganise some of my fish and will have to think how to best accommodate the Emperors.  Both Thinkfish and Seriously Fish suggest that a 60 cms tank is big enough for a shoal of these, but from my experience I would definitely not recommend this. I do have two 60 cms tetra tanks, one with 10 each of Lemon and Flame, one with 10 each of X Ray and Glowlight and they are absolutely fine, but with the potential size and territorial behaviour of the Emperors I reckon something like Sue's arrangement is much more suitable.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »
You must be doing something right to have fry  :)

As you say, the alpha male probably regards the whole tank and the female as his, and objects to sharing them with other males. While they are a shoaling species, there is always the exception to the rule.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Emperor is a tyrant"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 10:31:37 PM
by Ironside
7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 04:16:37 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: