Swollen Harlequin Rasbora - Is It Dying?

Author Topic: swollen Harlequin rasbora - is it dying?  (Read 9068 times) 3 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
swollen Harlequin rasbora - is it dying?
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A few months ago I had a Harlequin rasbora suddenly get very bloated. At first I thought it was just getting fat. Then it got very large just before I found it dead. The others seemed fine, but now 2 others have started getting bloated the same one particularly fat which is affecting its swimming slightly. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I do a weekly 30% water change. Have a high PH but have been controlling this to about 7.6ph with weekly addition of 10% RO water. I did put one dose of eSHa 2000 in last week when I found a danio with an open hole in its side (it died later same day). Not havign much luck at the moment. My friend has a tank and never changes the water and her fish seem to be fine and have lasted for years- she says I'm changing it too much and the fish aren't getting used to it to it's upsetting them. Any advice?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: swollen Harlequin rasbra -is it dying?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
First to say your friend is very old school. Fish do not die from lots of clean water - discus breeders do daily 50% water changes! It's not a question of the fish getting used to the water - if you do regular changes the water does not change very much as it doesn't have time. Your friend's tank water will be quite different from her tap water and if she does do a water change, she'll change the water chemistry so much at once that it could easily kill her fish. And if she got new fish they may well not be able to cope with the change from the shop to her tank. Although, if her tank is very, very heavily planted, she would be OK - google the Walstad method.

How long have you had the harlies? Is it just them that are showing these symptoms? If it was an infection/parasites I would have expected other fish to show signs if you've had them more than a couple of weeks. Do their scales stick out when they get fat?
eSHa 2000 is just about the best medication we can buy in the UK. I would be inclined to use a course of treatment for the harlies - do you have a quarantine tank as it would be better to treat just the harlies if possible. If not, you'll have to treat the whole tank.
But if their scales stick out like a pine cone, that's dropsy. This is a symptom of several diseases rather than a disease itself. The problem is working out the underlying disease to know how to treat it. However, the scales sticking out is a result of kidney failure and the resulting fluid build up, and once the underlying disease has reached this stage it is usually too late for the fish to recover.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
Thanks Sue, sorry it's a bit late with the reply. There are no scale problems. The fish are looking a little better now. I wonder if they had just eaten too much! I only feed once a day and everything is gone within about 20 seconds. It's hard to know how much food to put in. ???
Anyway thanks again. Great advice as usual!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
Fish can look like they're about to explode when they've over-eaten.

As a general rule of thumb, a fish's stomach is about the same size as its eye. I know it's not really possible to work out, but ideally the amount of food should be equal to one eye per fish.
And underfeeding is safer than overfeeding.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "swollen Harlequin rasbora - is it dying?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 02:28:37 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 11:09:44 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 09:06:31 AM
by Littlefish
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: