Sudden Unexplained Barb Deaths [+ General Disc'n About Water, Conditioner, Etc.]

Author Topic: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]  (Read 14939 times) 86 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ gen disc'n about water, conditioner...]
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have to say I am a total Seachem Prime convert.

Hi @fishtales and Everyone,

I just found a few minutes to read about Prime on the Seachem web site. I have to say that it is very informative and I can now see why it should be a very good tap water conditioner. The FAQ section goes into some detail as to its mode of action. Clearly, they do not disclose what the all-important binding agent is in Prime. But, nor do they need to. And they don't want competitors to know. Having said that, if a competitor was sufficiently determined, there is some very sophisticated analytical equipment out there that I suspect would do the job. If you have the odd £500,000 under your mattress for that rainy day!

I have never had cause to use Seachem Prime but, should that occasion arise, I'd be giving it very serious consideration. And, one of the things about Seachem is their technical support, which I have found to be very good indeed. And, no, I am not on commission!

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It sounded to me like that's what Microbe believe they've done ie copied the recipe, although this info came via MA's store manager rather than directly from the manufacturer.

On the topic of water conditioners dealing with chloramine, it just so happens that a discussion took place elsewhere on this very issue yesterday, and I input my learning from this thread about the free ammonia and ammonium liberated during the chloramine bond breakage process. Several very well-renowned folk in the fishkeeping world, at least one of whom is a professional scientist, helpfully clarified that "the small amount of ammonia released by the dechlorinator breaking the chlorine/ammonia bond should be very rapidly dealt with by the filter and, in any case, is too little to register on a test kit or cause a problem" (which indeed would fit with the fact that my NH4 test always goes from 0.2-0.4 tapwater to <0.05 ppm the instant the tap water conditioner is added), and "between health filter bacteria and the fact most modern water conditioners treat tap water ammonia anyway, the chloramine to ammonia and chlorine issue is usually unimportant. It was really only relevant back when people didn't treat tap water, but instead simply allowed it to 'de gas' overnight." Hopefully this concludes the discussion on the particular issue.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
@fcmf glad you got a resolution, if you want to hang onto your conditioner if your happy to use it now, no worries.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Thanks, @Lynne W, but I want to honour my promise which was made before the aforementioned discussion had taken place.  :D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Hi Folks,

All I know about Aloe vera and any other so-called protective coating treatments is that they can:

1 Affect the labyrinth organ of Anabantoids, e.g. Gouramis.

2 Affect a fish's gills.

I'm not sure why these coatings are necessary but it's not something I've researched.

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
It doesn’t seem to irritate the fish, so I possibly wouldn’t call it an irritant. However, fish do a great job of producing their own mucus, and don’t need any help. They’ll only lose it if it’s literally wiped off them during very rough handling, which doesn’t usually happen at waterchanges. The concept of adding something to accelerate mucus production, every week when it’s never required at all, is a strange one to me.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark

I have seen numerous reports that stress effects the slime coat of a fish. I presume the thinking behind having it in a water conditioner is that water changes may be stressful to fish. So the aiding of a slime coat is to combat this. It makes sense to me.

Water changes with good water shouldn’t be stressful to fish, but back in the 80s when Aloe vera was first added, tapwater quality wasn’t always as good, so stressed fish were always a possibility...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 PM
by Wild Rover
2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: