Sudden Cloudy Water, Nitrite And Nitrate Spike, Cloudy Again After 2 Water Ch

Author Topic: Sudden cloudy water, nitrite and nitrate spike, cloudy again after 2 water ch  (Read 9770 times) 13 replies

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Some strange things going on in my tank today, husband got up and noticed a harlequin dead, turned the light on (we often don't have the light on now as we find the algae goes crazy if the light is on too much) to discover the water very cloudy.  The water has always been fine, we've never had any problems before and haven't recently added any new fish.

I tested the water while he did an emergency 60% water change (in 3 stages) and as he was doing this some of my pink neons and harlequins were gasping at the surface and dying as he was doing it.  Before change Water was Ammonia 0, Nitrite 1.0, Nitrate 40-80, after first bucket of water replaced Amm 0, Nitrite 0.50, Nitrate 10, after 3rd bucket change the water looked better for a bit but has since gone very cloudy again, Amm 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 10.

We've also removed the rock and washed it out in case there were any dead fish lurking in there (1 pink neon disappeared mysteriously a while ago) but it was empty.

Any ideas?  The only thing my hubby thought was that we had bought a new 'Supa Natural Fern' (given up on real plants as they don't live long) and had put it in the tank, forgetting to rinse it first, could that have done something to the water?

We've googled it and amongst other things read not to change too much of the water so have now stopped the water changes in case we are making it worse?  Remaining fish not showing any signs of suffering at the moment but the water has looked cloudy for hours now, it's very odd.  We have gravel as substrate, 200L filter, tank as been running no problems for a good few years. 

Any help or suggestions would be great, thank you

Zoe

(60L tank, 1 harlequin, 3 pink neons, 2 cardinal tetras, 2 Pentazona Barbs, 1 small platy, 1 Oto)

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
You have to get the ammonia and nitrite levels down to acceptable levels. 0.50 nitrite is too high. Keep doing water changes whenever the levels of either of these substances is above 0.25.

Check your filter. You need to check that the output is functioning correctly. This will confirm you have a sensible flow through your filter.

Cloudiness in a tank is usually a sudden bloom of bacteria. This would seem to imply that there is some organic compound on your fern that has provided food for these types of bacteria to thrive. This spurt in bacterial growth may affect the oxygenation levels in your water, this in turn will affect your filter bacteria. Add an air-pump if you have one.

I would also recommend that you remove the fern, at least for now.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.  Bit confused by your comment 'you have to get ammonia and nitrite levels down', as mentioned -  currently (ammonia 0 -which it's been at every test today (is that odd for it to be 0 if the nitrite is up?), nitrite at last test 0.25) so assume I don't need to do any more water changes at the mo?  Read somewhere on the net that you can make the nitrite keep spiking if you continously keep changing the water?  Is that true?

We've taken the new ferns out.  Filter seems to be working fine, hoping tank looks better in the morning, will test again then, fingers crossed no more fish pop their clogs in the meantime  :'(  One cardinal and a pink neon looking a bit dodgy when I last switched the light on  :-\

Offline SteveS

Bit confused by your comment 'you have to get ammonia and nitrite levels down', as mentioned -  currently (ammonia 0 -which it's been at every test today (is that odd for it to be 0 if the nitrite is up?), nitrite at last test 0.25) so assume I don't need to do any more water changes at the mo?

Nitrite at 0.25 is still too high.  If you think about it, there is nowhere for it go but up, so as soon as you have done the test at 0.25, the actual value is higher.  It's a bit Quantum Physics but...  I threw in the ammonia bit because it's part of the golden rules for fish-in cycling and it sort of slipped in. As to whether it's odd for ammonia to be zero; I don't think so, you have enough bacteria to handle the ammonia, but not enough of the other bacteria to handle the nitrites. It's a typical response when you have an increase in ammonia load because the ammonia eating bacteria grow so much more quickly than the nitrite eating ones.

I Read somewhere on the net that you can make the nitrite keep spiking if you continously keep changing the water?  Is that true?

It's not something I have heard about, and I can't see any logical reason for it to do so. Perhaps someone else has some ideas but weekends are generally a bit slow.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
I have never come across a reference to nitrite spiking because of too many water changes. The golden rule in fishkeeping is if you see a reading other than zero for either or both ammonia and nitrite, do a water change. I have read an often quoted remark that no-one has ever reported fish dying from doing too many water changes, provided they are done correctly (ie dechlorinator added and the new water warmed to roughly the same as the tank, this being more important for larger water changes). Where did you read about water changes causing nitrite spikes? Some sources are more reliable than others, eg don't go by yahoo answers. It is possible to cause a spike if you don't usually clean the gravel, then go mad cleaning it as you can kick up all sorts of muck into the water which then decomposes to ammonia and on to nitrite.

It is quite possible to have a zero ammonia and a reading for nitrite. A few reasons spring to mind -
Something caused a spike in ammonia. The ammonia eaters multiply faster than the nitrite eaters. There may have been an ammonia spike but the ammonia eating bacteria had multiplied and removed it before you tested. But the nitrite eaters were still catching up when you tested, so you saw a spike in nitrite.
The nitrite eaters are more delicate than the ammonia eaters. Something may have damaged the colony of just the nitrite eating bacteria.
Something damaged both colonies, but the ammonia eaters recovered quicker and you missed the ammonia spike.

The good news is that mini spikes like this don't usually last more than a few days. Keep checking your levels a few times a day till you are sure they are staying at zero, and do water changes until they do.

But what caused the spike?

As Steve says, it could be the plants causing the bacterial bloom which led on to the spike.
Have you done anything to the filter recently - cleaned it, changed any media etc?
Have you done a water change involving a more thorough than usual gravel clean?

One dead fish shouldn't have caused that much of a problem, unless it's the combination of the dead fish and the very hot weather causing it to decompose faster.

Just a thought, was it a white or green cloudiness? Steve and I have both been assuming it was a white bacterial bloom rather than a green algal bloom, but I've just realised that you haven't mentioned the colour.

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
Hi Sue and Steve

Thanks for all your help. Been out all day today and water was miraculously back to normal clear state this morning.  All fish looked happy so we left it and have just seen your messages.  Just about to test the water now, will report back when it's done.  We haven't done anything to the filter or the gravel (should you 'deep clean/hoover' the gravel ever?  I've also read about sand substrate needing to be completely removed as it can get 'nasty'.   Is that another myth?

As for where I read the other thing about too many water changes causing nitrite spikes, I was googling fast in panic when the fish were dying and my husband was changing the water, can't remember where I saw that but did think it was odd!

No more dead fish when we got home this evening so I'll go test now and be back in a mo with results . . .we can still only think it's the new 'supa fern' that caused the problems as it hadn't been rinsed.  Says in big letters on the back of packet 'harmless to fish'  yeah right!  :-\

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
We are back to our normal results - Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10  ;D

Will keep an eye on it over the next few days and especially if we rinse (heavily!!!) the supa ferns and decide to put them back in  :-\

Thanks again for your help

Offline Sue

Gald to hear your water is looking good. keep an eye on it for a few days to be sure. It could have been the dead fish. As Steve said, the bacteria that cause the bloom live on organic matter. A dead fish is organic matter and if your tank is like mine - warmer than usual during the heatwave - the fish could have decomposed faster creating more organic matter in the water column. The plant would also have contained organic matter (plasticisers) which could have caused it. Perhaps the hot weather/tank water allowed to the bacteria to multiply faster than they would normally have done.

Try soaking the new plants in a bucket of water and check the ammonia and nitrite levels in the bucket. A bit of tank water would be better than tapwater for this test because any bugs in the tank water would react the same way in the bucket as in the tank. That would show whether it was the plant or not.

Since you have no live plants, you should be cleaning the gravel at every water change. With only synthetic plants, the gravel does not need to be deep and shallow gravel is easier to clean. You'd be amazed at the amount of muck that collects in there over a week - fish poo, uneaten food etc. If you haven't been cleaning it, start carefully and slowly. Do a bit every time you do a water change, but be careful not to churn the gravel up and throw this muck up into the water. Once you have got round all the gravel, start at the first patch again and do more each time as there won't be as much muck as the first time. Within a few weeks, you'll be able to do the whole lot in one water change. If you had live plants it would be different as you'd need deeper gravel for the roots, you couldn't hoover too near the roots, and the plants would use a lot of the muck as plant food.

If you wanted sand, again you wouldn't need it deep with no live plants. I changed to sand a couple of years ago and mine is shallow as all my plants are the kind you have to attach to decor not plant in the sand/gravel. I have not had a problem with things building up in the sand. You clean sand by hovering the tube about half an inch above the gravel and swirling it in little circles which lift the muck off the sand where it can be sucked up. The downside to sand is all the muck you don't see between the bits if gravel lies on the surface in full view. In my case it's worth it as my loaches, apistogrammas and corydoras prefer sand.
If you do ever change to sand and the gravel still has a lot of muck in it, ask about the best way to go about the change  :D

Edit:
Can I ask (sheer nosiness  ;D ) what are pink neon tetras? I can't find anyhting on google but ordinary neon tetras.

Offline SteveS

I've also read about sand substrate needing to be completely removed as it can get 'nasty'.   Is that another myth?

What are you reading?  If you have deep sand beds in your tank, you can get anaerobic pockets build up in them.  If disturbed, these can release some toxins into your tank so the secret, if you have to have deep sand, is to disturb it periodically so the toxins don't have a chance to build up; Either by giving it a little "swirl" with your hand or by keeping some livestock to do it for you.  Malaysian Trumpet Snails are the ones usually touted for this task.

I don't know whether you are aware, Sue certainly appears not to be and she normally knows everything, the fern you have is not a plastic synthetic! It is made from natural fern and then dyed. I don't think that helps identifying the original problem though.

[Edit to alter "died" to dyed": Freudian slip]

Offline Sue

You are quite right Steve. I wasn't aware that you could get plants like that. I usually buy synthetic plants in real shops so I can feel them first, and I've not come across this type. I've just googled them and see what you mean. The problem could be either the fern itself or the dye used.

Now I know, I would definitely suspect the plant.

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
Hello again

Yes plant is supposedly natural  and not plastic, we have already got a couple in the tank which didn't cause any problems but then they were rinsed properly before they went in (hubby just got carried away and plonked it in forgetting to rinse it first).    Will try the bucket test Sue, that's a good idea thank you  :D

Pink neons, I just call them that because they look pink lol,  they are in fact golden neons: http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesFreshwater.php?id=140  ;D  Very pretty little things, I thought they were different! Quite feisty too, don't bother other fish but are ALWAYS first to the food!  ;D

I didn't realise that about the live plants/gravel.  We have had live plants up till now but gave up as they just don't live very long.  Maybe we should go back to them to keep the gravel clean, or do you think it's past that and we need to hoover the gravel anyway?

Our gravel does look pretty deep (partly to hold our rock up in places) and it does look quite yucky down the sides of the glass.  Is hoovering it in sections at each water change enough?

Sorry for  more questions!  Want to sort this out so I can get my Betta Fish (if I ever find one I like the look of!  Think I'm trying to find something that doesn't actually exist!)  ::)

Offline Sue

Clean the gravel every time you do a water change.  You push the wide end of the siphon tube into the gravel and watch until the muck stops coming, then move the tube along a bit and clean the next bit. If there's a lot of muck to clear, you won't be able to do much before you've emptied the water you want to take out, so next time, do a thorough deep clean on the next patch. Keep doing this till you've been round the whole tank. Once you done that, start at the first place again with the following water change. You should be able to do a bigger area each time on the second circuit of the tank as there won't be as much muck to remove. After several, perhaps tens of water changes, you'll find you'll be able to get round the whole tank in one water change. The important thing when you first start is to move the siphon tube slowly and carefully. You don't want to kick the muck up into the water or you could cause another ammonia and/or nitrite spike.

You can have your gravel as deep as you like, but if you've no live plants having it shallower means less gravel to clean, and you take up less water volume.

Aha, the tetras are albino neons, though shops will give them fancy names  ;D

Can I just warn you before you get a betta that your current fish are almost all shoaling fish and should be in groups of at least 6. The only one that isn't is the platy. It may be that you started out with shoals and have lost some since you got the tank but you would be better off choosing one of the harlequins neons cardinals or barbs, rehome the others and get more of the one you want to keep. A shop might give you part-ex, as it were. If you were to increase all your sholaing fish to 6 each, that would put you at 138% stocked, using oversized internal filter in the community creator.

And be careful about keeping a betta in with other fish. Some people find neons and cardinals nip betta's fins, and possibly the barbs too, even though that species is not a very nippy one.

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
Thanks Sue, that is all extremely helpful ;D,  when we are hoovering the gravel in sections, do I swirl it around at all or keep it really still when I've dug it into the gravel?  I realise I shouldn't go crazy with the swirling but should I keep it very still to avoid any stirring up of muck into the water?

Regarding my fast diminishing shoals, yes you are right I had 6 of each to begin with (at different times though!),  gold neons are fairly new.  Harlequins and Five Band barbs are pretty old as they were first in the tank (think that was 4 years ago now).  Not sure how long they live but was planning on letting them diminish rather than building up shoals again, is that mean?  My local Maidenhead Aquatics did tell me they would 'take' fish I didn't want (i.e. a gourami if I wanted a betta) and although it's not a 'swap shop' they can help people out and take a fish or two and keep in one of their tanks (although I've never seen an 'elderly fish tank' in a Maidenhead Aquatics so unsure what they actually do with rehomed fish!  :-\

Is it ok to let them diminish in their own time or should I rehome them in the hope they can join a new shoal as they are quite old?  (assuming they are old, they look old (five bands are massive compared to any I see in shops these days but I can't remember how long harlies and five bands live).  I had thought neons and cardinals would be ok with a Betta but would I be better to rehome them all if I want a Betta?  (Bar the Platy as I rehomed him when my best friend passed away, he was the last fish in her tank so I feel quite attached to him!)

In your opinion what could I have in with a Betta or should I have one alone in the tank?

Thanks again  :)

Zoe x

Offline Sue

Push the end of the tube into the gravel, wiggle it a little bit to loosen the gravel and just watch as the muck goes up the tube. The reason I'm cautioning you to be careful is that I have read tales of people who have gone mad during a gravel clean and kicked up a huge amount of mess into the water. This fish poo and uneaten food is then exposed to the bacteria that eat organic matter and turn it into ammonia, then next thing they know they have an ammonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike. If you take care to keep the mess in the gravel then in the tube, you shouldn't have a problem.

It is a problem when most of a shoal dies and leaves just the odd couple of fish. If you are happy to keep them, wait until they all die of old age, then get another shoal. I just wanted to check that you hadn't been led astray by a shop telling you that you could have one of those, two of those etc.

Bettas are iffy fish in community tanks. They have very variable personalities. Some are so laid back they get badly bullied, others are so aggressive they kill anything that moves, and of course everything in between. I would be inclined to try a betta with one proviso - have a back-up plan just in case. Something as simple as a fry trap (with a cover, home made will do, as bettas can jump) so that if the betta attacks the other fish or vice versa you have somewhere to separate him till you decide what to do (return him to the shop or get a 20+ litre tank just for the betta)

A thought about plants - if you want to try real ones, you don't have to plant them. I have java fern and anubias, both of which have to be grown tied to something as the roots rot if you plant them. Mine are fastened to wood and plastic ornaments. If I can grow them, anyone can  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sudden cloudy water, nitrite and nitrate spike, cloudy again after 2 water ch"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 08:31:37 AM
by jowjow1976
3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 10:24:34 AM
by Bluejon71
6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 07:29:49 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 12:47:00 PM
by Ally2
7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 11:21:40 AM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2018, 06:05:30 PM
by Emmdee
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 12:07:57 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: