Snails!

Author Topic: Snails!  (Read 4786 times) 11 replies

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Snails!
« on: November 04, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have had a snail infestation for a while in my smaller tank, literally found over a hundred on the front of my tank alone the other day .Whilst I know a few snails are not an issue, and this hasn't really been bothering me, I am getting worried because I have upgraded to a much larger tank but have noticed a few snails in the new tank. I want to keep the snail population at bay, but not get rid of them completely. Does anyone have any advice on how to restrict them? Maybe some snail predator I can have in my new larger tank? Assassin snails did nothing at all btw!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
Re: Snails!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
whats the size of your new larger tank - loache's are pretty evective snail eaters i have clowns but they grow to a big size.Assain snails are also suppose to be very effective althow i have no experience with these.
Have you managed to found out what type of snail is causeing you problems ?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
The usual cause of snail over population is overfeeding the fish. If the fish eat all the food you give them, there shouldn't be any left to feed the snails.

The tank is a Fluval Roma 125 (according to Coles' other thread) which is too small for clown loaches. Dwarf chain loaches are about the only loaches suitable for the tank, they will eat small snails but nothing sizable. I have some, and they do eat those ramshorn snails that grow to 2 or 3 mm.

You could try a snail trap. You need a jar with a lid and a piece of lettuce or a slice of courgette. Punch snail sized holes in the lid from the outside so the spikes of lid go inside the jar (and the fish can't cut themselves on it). Put the lettuce/courgette inside and leave the jar on its side overnight in the tank. The theory is that the snails will go into the jar to get the food but can't get out because of the spikes. The holes should be big enough to let the snails in, and small enough so the fish can't fit.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »
Assassin snails did nothing at all btw!

Assassin snails can be very effective but they need time. This is mainly because you're likely to buy them in small numbers (2-4) and really you need a squad of them to start seeing a difference (otherwise the 'pest' snails are likely to breed faster than the few Assassin's can get rid). As such, the time you need is really to allow the Assassin's to breed themselves. I'd probably say you need at least 10 adult Assassin's to tackle a moderate snail problem.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
i have hundreds of assassin snails but if you have a problem with M.T.S
assassin snails find them a bit harder to kill

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
Definitely think that I will try trapping them then, cause nothing else seems to be working. I have had assassins for a few months now and there are only three in my tank and they do not appear to be breeding or anything, so they have not done anything. Not sure on what species of snail they are, definitely not trumpet snails and seem extremely common (even noticed them in pet shop tanks now).

I have used lettuce in the tank before and got rid of loads of them, just cannot get rid of all of them and they are becoming a bit irritating now. I know I will have some in my new tank, just wanted to keep them at a minimum. :/

Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »
You could try a snail killing solution such as this

FC76

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
You could try a snail killing solution such as this

Just to highlight - a treatment such as this would most likely kill the assassins as well unless they can be temporarily rehomed. Might also be iffy if you have any shrimp.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »
The number of snails you have in a tank will reflect the amount of food there is for them e.g. algae and detritus. You can get rid of as many as you like but the small species will breed again very quickly. To reduce numbers, you need to look at your tank management. I have lots of snails in most of my tanks, but I don't mind them, they deal with all of the fish poo etc and there is never anything for me to vacuum up. The only tank that doesn't have many is the one with the bristlenose catfish which keep the algae down to nearly nothing. Less food for snails = less snails. It's always the way in nature, animal numbers are controlled by food supply, not by predators.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
I bought 3 assassins recently and was very lucky because they laid eggs the next day and I'm starting to spot 2-3 mm mini assassin snails in the tank now and I'm also finding empty snail shelss so they are slowly chowing down but I confess to spending a theraputic 15 mins daily picking out the 3 common types of snails I have and that actually is keeping the numbers down.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
Who would believe snail genocide could be so rewarding!!!!!  ;D

I am planning my next additions now. Need to up my numbers of female phantoms as my one remaining female is being pursued by two males and I am intending to get some MTS, some more nerites and some shrimps. Need to get my tank planting sorted first though as I have got some new plants but have yet to situate them in their final positions. Also got to plant my moss (if that's what you do with moss?!). gonna get some panda corys to go in Stans tank too!!! It's all go here!!!  :))

FC76

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
I definitely think that I may have been overfeeding a bit, especially because of the heavy load in my tank. The snails seems to have eased of recently, especially when i started moving some of the plants from my old tank into my new tank. Have only counted two snails in the new tank today, so think i managed to remove the majority before they really began to breed. Am still a bit worried about another snail explosion but think that i am gonna keep my feeding to a minimum for a while in the new tank because there are only two fish there atm!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Snails!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:13:08 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 12:14:42 AM
by Natasha
13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 06:58:22 PM
by chris213
9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 12:37:29 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: