Small White Lumps

Author Topic: Small white lumps  (Read 4786 times) 10 replies

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
Small white lumps
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Please can anyone help identify the problem with my Platy.  I keep looking things up on the internet and I am still not 100% sure, if someone with expertise or have experienced this with their fish before can help me, I would be grateful.

Hope you can see from the picture the problem, she has one small white lump on her side towards the bottom.
She has not been eating although still swimming around as normal.
Her poo is now a thick white strand.
Since taking the picture the white lump has now increased to two (on the same side but at the top of her now).
Checking the other fish in the tank all appear fine.

Is there are any treatments you can recommend please?

Thank you
Carol

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Small white lumps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
One thing it's not is whitespot because that looks like grains of salt on the fish - unless in real life it does look like that in which case it whitespot, though I would expect more fish to have spots. Is this fish new or have you had it a while?

The only other disease I've had which looks a bit like that is lymphocystis, which I only hope your platy doesn't have. That has white lumps which develop a cauliflower like appearance. I've only had it once, on a dragonscale betta. At first it just looked as though he'd caught himself on something and lifted a scale, then it grew into a distinct raised spot. Please tell me your platy doesn't look like that.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for your prompt response, much appreciated.

It is definitely not grains of salt, if I were to describe it I would say the spot is the width of a cocktail stick (sorry struggling to think of something).  It is exactly as you see it (better when the picture is double clicked and enlarged).

I thought perhaps it was the start of an ulcer.  I have been trying to research and look at pictures on the web to see if this is the problem (but never having a fish with one before I was unsure).

She is in a hospital tank now, I have been watching her tonight and she is swimming around ok, still not eating. 

I am unsure and will need to confirm in the daylight - when I look at her I think she may have a very slight fluffy appearance all over the side of her (the side with the spot on).

I have had her about year and half.

I have never heard of Lymphocystis, sounds awful.  See does not have any further symptoms as yet apart from what I described earlier.  If this is the case, sounds as though the outlook is bleak.  Do you have any suggestions of med I could try to at least help her?

Many thanks again for your help

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »
Hi Carol,

One of my blue marbled platys developed a whitish spot which grew in to a very sizeable lump, which I thought could have been lymphocystis. She didn't appear to be suffering at all and still eat well, but nevertheless, she died within a week. None of my others were affected and all remain healthy.
I have a photo somewhere of her with the lump, I'll see if I can find it and get it on here.
Meanwhile, I'll keep my fingers crossed that your little fishy gets well soon.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
Hi Resa,

Thank you for your reply.  Shame to know the outcome of your fish, would be interesting to see the pic's if you can find them please.

I have studied her today and:-
Still not eating
Swimming around ok
No fluffy appearance on her side (I thought I could see that last night)
Looks as though couple more spots are appearing

I just wish there was a medication to help her.  I am wondering to put her back into the main tank where she would be more at home, she is in hospital tank at mo.   Reading info on web about lymphocystis some say very contagious others its not!! Can anyone confirm if it is contagious please?

Thanks again to you and Sue

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
It is and it isn't contagious. From what I could gather when my betta had it, it is contagious when the lump splits and releases spores.

People of a sensitive disposition, stop here   :-\

I bought the betta on line as I couldn't find any plakats (short fins) in the shops. I put him in my 50 litre tank with a shoal of pygmy cories. Within a few days he looked as though he'd caught a scale but instead of getting better it stayed there. Then it started growing and I realised it was a lump. Because dragonscale bettas have very thick scales, it never showed as white. After several weeks I decided something wasn't right and google found lymphocystis so I set up the QT and moved him there as I still had another betta in the betta tank, though he died of old age shortly afterwards. The lump continued growing and every now and then it sort of burst and showed a grey gooey mass in the sunken crater of a lump. I presume this is when spores get released. I had a separate siphon tube and bucket for this tank and I never used anything in this tank in another. Eventually, he grew several lumps down the same side and the first one, which was just above his gill, got so big it moved into the gill itself. That's when he went downhill, refusing to eat, sitting in a plant all day, so I put him down. Then sterilised the tank, filter, heater etc, threw the plastic plants and filter media in the bin.

He was in the same tank as the pygmy cories for a few weeks, but I'd moved him out before the first time the lump split. The cories never caught it.

Attached - a couple of pics taken shortly before the end.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Oh dear looking at the pic's of your poor fish I now understand I have the worse to come with my fish. 

Gosh I hate putting fish to sleep (I use Cloves as you advised me before Sue).  What is making it worse, she is still swimming around quite alert in the tank at mo but I don't want her to suffer.

I was hoping to put her back in the main tank but it is not possible, what a shame.

I have attached couple pic's I took earlier as you can see the 2nd spot now.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
It does look quite similar. You can see from the smaller lumps in my pics how that horrible mass started out, and what the first small lump turned into.

The betta was quite happily swimming round for a few months. It was only when his gill became enveloped that he went downhill. If you don't mind giving up your hospital tank for an indefinite period, and don't mind getting another siphon tube and bucket then leave her in there till she starts to go downhill.

It may well not be lymphocystis, but the risk is too great to put her back in the main tank till you know for sure.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
Sadly went to check on her and she has died, a relief really now I know the outlook was bleak for her (but I'm still gutted inside!).

Thank you so much to you both for your help and knowledge, when I desperately didn't know what was wrong with her and what I should do.  Much appreciated.

Carol

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. If it was lymphocystis, at least she was spared it developing badly.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
Looking at her more closely now Sue, you can see more lumps would have started to appear, I'm pretty certain your diagnosis was correct.  So at least she did not suffer too much thankfully.

Checking the main tank I have another platy at the top of the tank in the corner, so will be keeping my eye out checking them all frequently.  I pray she has not caught it too and is just having a late afternoon snooze!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Small white lumps"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:18:28 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 09:45:34 PM
by Peppersj
18 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 07:34:47 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 09:13:31 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 06:59:52 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2020, 07:57:11 PM
by Dpv22

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: