Sick Tiger Barb?

Author Topic: Sick Tiger Barb?  (Read 4182 times) 5 replies

Offline Chris

• Fishy Member
Sick Tiger Barb?
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my Tiger Barbs has started behaving very oddly.
Rather than shoaling with the others, it has taken itself to the back of the tank in among the sword plants.
It is floating mid-tank with its head pointing towards the bottom, occasionally swimming backwards.
I steered it back to the shoal with a net, but it stayed only for a minute or two before returning to its hiding place.
Any ideas?

Offline Chris

• Fishy Member
Re: Sick Tiger Barb?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
Having observed the past few days, I can now see this is nothing sinister, just "submissive" behaviour.
One of the Barbs in the shoal is bullying the others mercilessly. One of them has taken to hiding in the weeds to avoid this and occasionally there are others who take a "time out" with him.
I guess if the bullying continues, I'll have to remove the "bad guy". Or does that just compound the issue by allowing the "second-in-command" to get a promotion?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
That's the problem with fish like tiger barbs. They maintain the hierarchy of the shoal by chasing and bullying. Removing the alpha fish usually leads to the others vying for that position. This is the reason that fish like tiger barbs are better kept in larger than usual shoal sizes, to spread the aggression among more fish. If there aren't enough of them, they include the other fish in the shoal and chase them too, often other fish that can't cope with the attention.

How many barbs do you have? I've seen it recommended to have no less than 10 of them to keep the aggression to a minimum. With 10, no one fish gets picked on more than the others. That's the theory anyway.....

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
(Started this before Sue's post, so some overlap)

How many Tigers do you have? It's generally considered that 8 or more is best as then the aggression is spread out more widely among the group. Taking one out might make the situation worse.

Five days ago I bought 6 Ruby Barbs. Their behaviour is pretty similar to Tigers. When I bought them they were "pale and wan" looking like washed out Tigers, not likely to attract the casual buyer. But within a couple of hours in my tank, transformation started. The sexes immediately became clear, which was by no means obvious at the shop. The males have become redder and redder and are in an almost continuous state of competition. One seems to have become dominant and doesn't let any of the others into a particular small area of the tank which they seem to regard as "prime real estate". There's a fair amount of chasing and a bit of nipping, but the tank is so densely planted that anybody who wants to get away can hide very quickly. Once the loser disappears from sight, the dominant one stops chasing, "job done" from his point of view. Of course, the females completely ignore all this, just spending their time looking for food.

I have one Tiger in the same tank, a fish which I didn't buy but came with a used tank. I'm planning to add more to make a shoal of 8 or 9. It will be interesting to see how the two barb species get on. If they don't, I have the capacity to separate them in different tanks.

Offline Chris

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments and advice!
I have six "Standard" Tigers and six "Golden" Tigers in the tank (250 litres), as well as other community species.  Generally, they all seem to shoal together, although the Golden variety are not nearly as aggressive.
From the comments received, perhaps I should dilute the Tigers with a few more.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
A few more won't do any harm. But if you do get more, they'll have to re-establish the pecking order to include the new fish so you may see more aggression for a few days until they've worked it out.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sick Tiger Barb?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
28 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
by Sanjo
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 09:45:56 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: