Author Topic: Rasboras Bloated or Pregnant  (Read 8494 times) 10 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Rasboras Bloated or Pregnant
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone i need some advice on 4 of my Harlies i dont know if they are suffering from bloat or are pregnant. I have lost one in the last day and have now put the other 4 in a hospital tank.

I am ready to try Epsom salts if they are bloated as i have read this helps with withdrawing and fluid retention.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMym5aEumFY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMym5aEumFY</a>&feature=youtu.be

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Rasboras Bloated or Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
Their scales do not look as though they are sticking out, which is a good sign.

I would put some cheap plastic or silk pants in the hospital tank to make them less stressed, then don't feed them for a couple of days. After that, give them some daphnia, live or frozen, but not too much, then don't feed again for a couple of days.
Then depending on what they look like after all that, we'll see what else needs to be done.

Epsom salts should be used as a bath, not added to the tank if you do need to use that. The individual fish is placed in a tub of water with epsom salts added for up to half an hour then put back in the hospital tank. If the fish becomes distressed before the half hour is up, it must be removed immediately.
Use at the rate of one 5ml spoonful per 4 litres water.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
Thank you Sue I'm guessing not pregnant then. I will hold off on the salts.i just fed them Daphnia but have no plastic or silk plants but will pick one up tomorrow.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
It is impossible to tell if they are female from the video I'm afraid - and they can't be egg bound if they are male  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Hi Rustle,

As they aren't livebearer fish, they won't be pregnant as such - but it's possible they may be eggbound as Sue mentions. Are all of them female, though? It seems a little coincidental if they are, yet they all look a similar shape.

I've had my harlies for 3.5 years. I'm not certain how many males and how many females I have, but think the slightly rounder ones are female; however, none of them have looked as round as yours or eggbound.  Looking at the video, I'd hazard a guess that yours eat more than mine - how much food do you give them and how often?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
I only feed them once a day in the morning. The only thing I can think of  that in the last month I have been dissolving an algae wafer in tank water then spreading it over the tank once a week to feed all the shrimp and ottos.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:33:45 PM »
Don't think it can be that, then, unless you're feeding a huge amount in the morning. I now feed several times per day but mine are definitely much slimmer.

I also don't think it can be the algae wafer to blame as I think the shrimp and ottos will get most of the share, and one algae wafer per week is unlikely to have much effect. I've noticed my two smaller harlequins hang around over the snail food dish and peck at the food frequently, yet no bloating.

Hmmm - think best to follow Sue's advice and see what happens.

Were the harlies much slimmer, then just expanded suddenly and recently, or has it been gradual?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
It happened quick and I can't work out why. It's not a parasite as I can't see no white stringy poo or any signs of worms etc. It looks like a waiting game then.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 07:31:06 AM »
Thanks to all that replied i lost 2 harlies but managed to save 2 by giving them salt baths and using Esha 2000 & feeding them frozen daphnia

They are going to go back in the main tank sometime today.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Sorry that you lost 2, @Rustle, but glad that 2 managed to be saved by those methods - useful to know for potential future reference. Did you do the eSHa 2000 treatment alongside the Epsom salt baths (ie take them out of the eSHa 2000 tank, give them an Epsom salt bath, then put them back in) or do several days of Epsom salt bath treatment followed by several days of eSHa 2000 treatment (or vice versa)? How often did you do the Epsom salt baths?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 06:42:14 AM »
The first day i gave them each an Epsom salt bath for half hour and then raised the temperature to 29.5 c. On day two i gave them another bath in the morning and then on day 3 I fed them frozen daphnia mixed with peas.

When i woke up in the morning i found one dead stuck to the filter .I then started the Esha 2000 treatment but doubled the normal dosage for the 3 day course & fed them on the second day of the course treatment.I then done a big water change of 75% but lost another fish that afternoon.

The next day i gave the remaining 2 another salt bath but this time for only 15 mins and then fed them crushed up new life spectrum flake. I then added some more Esha 2000 but this time it was day 2 and day 3 at normal dosage cutting out the day 1 dosage if that makes sense. All of a sudden they started to look lively and were diving up to the top to grab the flake and not waiting for it to drop.

I read some good reviews about Esha Optima so i brought some and added that to the tank and within a few days they started to colour up and not looked so faded. I put them back in the main tank yesterday and they were going back and forth with the others. I don't know if any long lasting damage was done by doing this treatment but they are alive now' which i don't  think they would have been if i had not done anything.

They still have a slightly rounded belly but it's not kinda square like it was and they are now active not hovering by the filter.

So fingers crossed i have managed to save 2 but only time will tell.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rasboras Bloated or Pregnant"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 07:08:23 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 09:25:37 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:28:02 AM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 05:20:20 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: