Problems With My Little Tank

Author Topic: problems with my little tank  (Read 7901 times) 26 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
problems with my little tank
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:45:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I have a number of problems in my tank at the minute that may or may not be related. The only recent change I've made is turning down the temperature after that discussion. 

One thing is that I have the purple algae spreading throughout my tank.  Unfortunately it seems to love growing on important items in my tank like my pre filter and heater.  I'm unsure how to get rid of it on such items.

I've also got a bit of a snail problem at the minute. They're quite large snails and quite a lot of them. 

After my shift on Tuesday I found my endler Rimmer listless at the bottom of the tank.  He switched between this and floating at the top gasping. I did a very large water change as i didn't know what else i could do for him. I didn't expect him to make it through the night but he did but was in a similar condition in the morning but I had to leave at 5am so couldn't stomach putting him down.  I was away overnight and left instructions for my partner to remove him ASAP after his death.  Well here we are and he is still alive! He seems a little better swimming with the others and begging food however his stomach appears very bloated and the underneath is white / discoloured. I'm not sure what's wrong with him but I really don't want to lose him.  I'm away over night for a shift again tomorrow too...

In my hornwort today I noticed a few patches of odd white substance that I can only describe as looking like a spider web. There's several of these. . Any ideas what they are! ?

I've attached a few photos any help on any of the topics mentioned would be appreciated!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: problems with my little tank
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:16:27 AM »
I'm glad Rimmer's pulled through, Jesnon. Has he had his fair share of pea lately? Not wishing to be a doom merchant, but Endlers, like Guppies, tend to live for a max of two years. My old Guppies are now starting to die off after nearly 1, and I think your Endlers are getting on a bit, too.

I've got a bit of purple algae too, but it only grows on rocks. I've recently changed my lighting to 8hours a day and that's got rid of all the other algae, but not the purple. I had a good trawl round the internet and even The Planted Tank guys don't know what it is. They do say Nerite snails like it, though. As for the white stuff.... no idea, sorry.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
You're quite right Colin about the endlers they are getting on a bit.  He's one of my original fish so I've had them now over a year.  I have noticed recently that my older fish haven't been looking quite their best in terms of colours. I would quite like a proper snail in my tank actually... I should really get my one shrimp some new friends too but my partner refuses to take me to the garden centre as the last batch of shrimp died :-( Not sure what it is about my tank that proves so fatal to shrimp!

I think Natalia told me what the algae was previously and it was on one of my artificial plants but it's come back a lot more how and on objects I can't just leave out of the tank and scrub!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
I would quite like a proper snail in my tank actually... I should really get my one shrimp some new friends too but my partner refuses to take me to the garden centre as the last batch of shrimp died.

Then you need somewhere like this. Shrimps by post!

I'm sure somewhere will deliver a snail by snail mail, too. :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
I agree with Colin about the endler. In general, the smaller the animal and the more active it is, the shorter the lifespan.

Snails travel by post very well. They just have to be in something that can't get squashed with a bit of damp filter wool or even damp tissue. They can be a bit reluctant to com out of their shells at first. Although they should be acclimated like fish, that's not really on if they don't arrive in water.

I'm afraid I can't help on the plant problem, I'll have to leave that to someone who knows more about them that me.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
The "spider's webs" in you hornwort could be snails eggs... Actually, it could be absolutely anything,, but that was what leapt to mind when I saw it.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »
Then you need somewhere like this. Shrimps by post!

Never realised so many colour variations were available - very tempted! Colin is obviously the official ThinkFish link guru!

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
I've just looked at the photos again, and I can see the 'spiders web' better now. I would remove it. It reminds me of those land insects that lay their eggs in a sort of cocoon to protect them from being eaten. I have no idea if there are any insects that lay their eggs under water with the same protective coating, but if there are I wouldn't want them hatching in my tank  :-\ Or a cocoon to protect a larval stage metamorphosing into the adult stage - the same applies there too, I'd remove it.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
Oh no! Jesnon's hatching out an alien.  :P

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
have you been digging threw my personal photo album again colin  :vcross:  :rotfl:

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
That site looks great! I just need a local one so my shrimp aren't too shocked by my hard water I guess. 

Sue you've got me worried now!! Unfortunately I was on a long day sleep yesterday so haven't been home to do anything and am away tonight.  I really hope whilst I'm away nothing hatches out of there. .. There's about the 'webs'... eek. My partner was home last night and apparently all the fish are doing ok. Hopefully that continues until I'm home tomorrow as my partner is also away tonight. Nothing worse than a dead fish killing off my others in my absence...apart from maybe whatever the hell that web is hatching!!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
have you been digging threw my personal photo album again colin  :vcross:  :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »
I think it's a crazy idea that anything dangerous could hatch out of the "spider's web" or whatever it is on the hornwort. If they are eggs, anything that hatches would be so tiny that the fish would eat them. In any case, unless you have recently put the hornwort into the tank, whatever it is must have come from inside the tank, i.e. from something that is already there. It looks like snail eggs to me.
There are real things to worry about when keeping fish, but there are also lots of illogical and irrational bogeymen that are constantly brought up. The idea that some dangerous fish-eating monster could accidentally be introduced, or find its way, into a tank is one of them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
The thing I was wondering about was dragonfly/damselfly eggs. I know that these insects do get into aquaria via newly bought plants and don't know how long ago Jesnon bought the hornwort. I didn't want her to get up one morning to find a nymph in the tank with her endlers.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
I wish I'd wake up to find a nymph in my tank...

;)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
If a dragonfly nymph were big enough to eat a fish, you would certainly notice it! Of course, only dragonfly adults can lay eggs and so they would have to have been laid on the plants by an adult. Even if they were dragonfly, or any other insect, eggs, what would hatch out would be very tiny and would be eaten by the fish. And if not eaten by the fish, they would not be able to grow as they need small creatures, such as daphnia, to feed on, and they certainly would be eaten by the fish. So I can't see how there is any possible danger from these.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
I wish I'd wake up to find a nymph in my tank...
Your thoughts wouldn't drift in such directions if you discovered a dragonfly nymph!

:yikes:

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Mmm....she could probably get those ears done on the NHS ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 06:47:46 AM »
You guys!  ;D

Well on my return some of the 'webs' have disappeared but one remains.  No nasties in the tank but my poor little endler looks like he'll be dead by the time my partner gets up.  This has been very inconvenient timing as I'm now sleeping at work again (after my shifts not now!!). I'll be home tomorrow and time to give me tank a big water change and remove whatever the webs are.  I also need to buy Clove oil...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »
Unfortunately my partner informed me my little endler died :-( it was always just a matter of time. 

I was promoted recently and haven't had much time at home but have still been doing the weekly water changes so I guess it was just age for him

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "problems with my little tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 07:31:19 PM
by pmalipha
34 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 07:00:19 PM
by fruitbat
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 06:41:52 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
by Cod_only_knows
25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2016, 11:48:33 AM
by Fiona
21 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 03:48:00 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: