Problems With Dwarf Gourami Swimming Head Down

Author Topic: Problems with Dwarf Gourami swimming head down  (Read 10148 times) 3 replies

chrishax

Problems with Dwarf Gourami swimming head down
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Brand new site, huh. I hope Sue or someone else wise has already moved across here.

I have a rather unusual problem with a male dwarf gourami. Basically for the past 4-6 days he has been pointing head down or swimming in a tight convoluted circle, only able to turn one way, and never able to swim straight and level.

There is no apparent disease on the outside, and both fins are 'working' so I am suspecting a parisite, and have added ESHA to the water as a general precaution. No rersponse after 24 hours but will try for 3 days unless anyone else has experience of this problem.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Problems with Dwarf Gourami swimming head down
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm here! First newly registered member after Peter, the owner  ;D

Apart from the swimming you say he looks OK. No dark greyness or sores? No swelling of the abdomen? I know that dwarf gouramis are very susceptible to dwarf gourami iridovius (DGIV), it is very common in dwarf gouramis imported from the Far East. But the symptoms of that are going grey, red sores on the head and becoming listless. If it does turn out to be this, then I'm afraid there is no known cure.

The other thing that occurs to me is a swim bladder problem as that usually affects the fish's swimming. This can be caused by an infection or something as simple as constipation. If it is the latter, try feeding cooked, deshelled, mashed peas to the tank, then no food the next day. All my fish go mad for peas and if it is constipation, that should help.
Which eSHa product are you using? If it's eSHa 2000 that is reputed to help things like dropsy so could be good for internal infections, though I haven't tried it for that myself.

Offline Think Fish (Peter)

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi chrishax,

I've seen this lots of times back in my retail days but I can't offer much help im afraid. The swimming in tight circles issue, often with the body appearing bent, is a sign of damage to the fishes nervous system or brain, or signals between the two. The cause of this is not so clear and it can be from bacterial infection, virus, or as you mention, parasite (not the big visible type, but the type seen under a microscope). Dwarf gouramies seem to be quite problematic with this sort of thing.
Good advice with the shelled peas though, can help prevent swim bladder problems with these types of fish. Sorry I can't be more help, the success rate in this sort of thing is not high  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Hi Chrishax,

I particularly like dwarf gouramis, but find them very difficult to keep. I have noticed that they seem to be particularly sensitive to changes in the water quality - perhaps the minerals that we don't often measure, or can't measure too accurately. I have had few sad looking fish that have looked like they were going to recover after I did larger than normal water changes, at least every other day. However, to get them back to full health requires a longer period of increased care and attention than I am fortunately capable of.  :(

I would be interested if you are able to nurse your dwarf gourami back to health with very frequent, largish water changes.

Helen

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Problems with Dwarf Gourami swimming head down"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 07:09:28 PM
by Fishywishy
1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 12:07:22 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 07:29:23 AM
by Mascol
10 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 02:37:41 PM
by Matt
13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2019, 10:58:45 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2021, 06:38:40 PM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2022, 12:45:01 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: