Author Topic: Possible sick Cory?  (Read 5272 times) 9 replies

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
Possible sick Cory?
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Total newbie here and I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, but...

I've got a 50l tank that's been set up for about 6 weeks.  6 neon tetras were added after two weeks, and last weekend 4 guppies (1male, 3 female) and 3 peppered corydoras were added.  Things now seem to be going a bit wrong.

The neons seem fine, and shoal together nicely.  The guppies are fine (though there's a possibility that one is getting bullied a bit by the others.)  The corys don't seem too happy at all.  One was a lot smaller than the other two and was much less active. 2 days ago it seemed to sit on the bottom and appeared to be gasping before shooting to the top and coming straight back down again.  By the end of the day it had died  :(

Yesterday, I noticed one of the remaining corys was behaving oddly.  It was sitting on the bottom almost motionless with its gills flapping wildly before something grey fell out (not sure what it was, it looked almost like a thin flake of food, about 0.5cm across), after that it was happily grubbing around again.  This happened a couple of times over the space of about 15 mins.  Is it sick/infected?  I don't want to lose another fish if I can help it!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Possible sick Cory?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »
Cories do dash to the surface because they need to take gulps of air and then absorb the oxygen in it from the gut. So the dashing to the surface and the death were probably not related.

When the tank has sand on the bottom rather than gravel you can see more clearly the way cories feed. They take a mouthful of sand, sift it for food then pass the sand out of their gills. I have sand with my cories and it is fascinating to watch. I would imagine anything they put into their mouths thinking it's food gets passed out of their gills the same way.

But having said all that, I need to ask what the ammonia and nitrite levels are in the tank. You added quite a lot of fish in one go (it is normally recommended to add one third of the amount of fish already there in one go), and the tank probably hadn't finished cycling after you got the neons. If you do have any ammonia and/or nitrite this will affect all the fish, with the weakest being affected first.
If you don't have your own testing kit, a shop will test a sample of tank water for you but make them give you the numbers, not just something like fine or a bit high. Basically, anything above zero is not fine regardless of what the shop may say.

Once you know your levels, come back and we'll see if you need to do anything.

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the info - never kept fish before, so it's all new and I'm very unsure of just about everything!

Water check was performed yesterday (using test strips) and everything was within the acceptable levels shown on the kit with the exception of nitrates.  The test kit said 'change water' at the level found (can't remember the exact reading) so approx 10% water change was performed (6 litres.)  I'll do another reading tonight to see if things have improved.

Neon Tetra (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
The problem with the strips is they don't test for ammonia and you need to know what that is. After 4 weeks with neons, you should have grown some bacteria but the new guppies and cories would have increased the ammonia being made by their waste so you may not have quite enough, and you may have ammonia in the water.

What were the actual readings for nitrite and nitrate? As far as I'm concerned the only acceptable reading for nitrite is zero.
Anything above that is not good. Nitrite binds to the fish's red blood cells stopping them absorbing oxygen; it does to fish what carbon monoxide does to us.

How often and how big have your water changes been since you got the first fish?

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
I've done another test - all levels are fine (chlorine, pH, carbonate hardness, general hardness and nitrite) but nitrate is between 50 and 100 mg/l. The nitrite level was zero. Should I do a water change - and if so, how much? I'll get an ammonia test kit tomorrow (I've seen a strip one that can test for ammonia - it's that alright?)

I've done just the one water change so far. 6 litres replaced yesterday. The tests have been okay up to now so I haven't replaced any water previously.

Thanks for your help so far.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
Test the nitrate level of your tap water. This is the lowest you can get it just by doing water changes. The UK legal limit for nitrate in drinking water is 50ppm and some regions' tapwater is not far short of that.
The aim is to keep your tank nitrate below the tapwater level plus 20. If it is higher than that, there are a few possible reasons -
feeding the fish too much
too many fish in the tank
not enough water changes
water changes not big enough

As a general rule of thumb, a tank that is reasonably well stocked and doesn't have many live plants needs 25% of its water changing every week. Jungle-like tanks can get away with smaller water changes, as can lightly stocked tanks.

Liquid reagent tests (the kind with bottles and test tubes) work out cheapest per test. They cost more to buy but do a lot more tests than the strips.

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
The day after the water change, the fish looked a LOT happier - swimming around much more vigorously.  I took a sample of the tank water to the pet shop and they 'analysed it' for me - basically, they did *exactly* the same 6-in-1 strip test I did along with another strip test for ammonia.  Everything was fine according to them.  They didn't give me specific readings, and I forgot to ask  :(

I've ordered a proper liquid reagent test kit (NT Labs) and will do a test as soon as it arrives, but in the meantime I think we're okay.  Oh, and the pet shop said they'd replace the two dead fish (a guppy died on Friday) once I'm happy the aquarium is okay.

Thanks for your help, Sue - I have a feeling this won't be the last time!  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
Glad to hear the water change helped. Regular water readings (perhaps daily for the next few weeks / until things settle down a bit) and regular water changes (weekly, or more often if any ammonia or nitrites or else high nitrates) should hopefully help to maintain the water quality at a good level.

What is your water hardness? Your water company website should be able to give that information as well as your test strips - the exact result and unit of measurement would be really helpful to know. Once the tank has settled, then you'd be better choosing the replacements for the two dead fish of a type that is suitable for your water - eg possibly more guppies if your water is hard or else more neon tetras if your water is soft.

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
We live in a hard water area, but not sure of the exact level <checks Affinity Water website> - apparently it's 'Very Hard' (Calcium Carbonate of 375 mg/l.)  That's based on my postcode so it's likely to be pretty accurate.

Since the water is so hard, is it worth running tap water through one of those jug filters before adding it to the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
No.
They mess with the water chemistry. When I tested the water in my Brita jug the pH had dropped from 7.5 to off the bottom of the scale - somewhere below 6.0. They swap calcium and magnesium ions for hydrogen ions, and pH is an upside down measure of the amount of hydrogen ions - the more there are the lower the pH. You need something that removes minerals and doesn't replace then with hydrogen ions.

If you want to 'soften' your water the better option is by using RO (reverse osmosis) water. This is water that has had all its minerals removed. Fish can't live in pure RO so you either mix it with your tap water to 'dilute' the hardness or add remineralisation salts to put some minerals back, just not as much as in your tap water. The problem with this is that you have to use the same ratio of tap/RO at every single water change or add the right amount of salts to the new water at every single water change. You can never use pure tap water again.

With hard water like this, the guppies should do better than the neons and cories. In your other thread you mention that the guppies are having problems which is not surprising with their reputation these days. With a 50 litre tank and hard water, look at replacing them with endlers livebearers instead. Despite all the ones in shops being endler-guppy hybrids, they are more robust than guppies and in my opinion prettier. The males don't fight like guppies, another plus point.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible sick Cory?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 10:25:58 AM
by Cazzybaby
7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 12:45:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 06:03:43 PM
by Extreme_One
5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2017, 07:50:27 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 04:17:48 PM
by dwindstr
4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 06:02:52 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: