Possible Finrot And Assassin Snails

Author Topic: Possible Finrot and Assassin snails  (Read 4256 times) 3 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Possible Finrot and Assassin snails
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Sue I'm not altogether sure whether my fav Endler has finrot or not. He's a real beauty with a perfectly symetrically shaped and coloured tail with a lovely dark blue stripe running along his body. His dorsal and anal fins are an opalescent colour so if it is finrot it couldnt have been spotted earlier but I just noticed that his anal fin is now looking a bit tatty.

The problem is I dont have a quarantine tank or a spare heaterand filter to put in a bucket and I have assassin snails in the tank. ( I can probably get one at the weekend but I'd rather not leave the little guy that long)

I know because of the snails I shouldn't use eSha 2000 but I do have some Interpet anti-fungal and finrot treatment. I've read the leaflet and can't see anything that would contra indictate using Interpet with snails but I dont want to make a mistake, the assassins have babies now and I'd hate to accidentally kill them off.

Do you have any advice for me please?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Possible Finrot and Assassin snails
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
I'm not sure what to do about the snails as I haven't used that particular medication with snails in the tank.

This is going to sound horrid, but you could try a test using a baby snail   *ducks from all the shouting*

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »
I'll be brave and make a suggestion that may also induce shouting!!!!  :o

Put your snails, or as many as you can save in a bucket or bowl of tank water, with some rocks and greenery and treat the tank. You may have to sacrifice some of the snails but at least your fish will be treated.

I have a 7litre fish bowl with no filter or heater, in which are housed my 2 horned nerite snails and my 2 zebra snails which, after treating my tank with esha 2000 and then seeing that two of them had gone into their shells and shut the door ( literally they have sealed themselves in but they do react still if you poke them - not that im in the habit of poking snails)!! I concluded that esha must kill snails. The other two, and the three adults and however many baby bladder snails i have in there are all doing fine!!!   I give them a bit of lettuce occasionally and sometimes even a bloodworm for who ever finds it first and they are all quite happy!!!!!

As long as you use tank water so they start at the same temperature they are used to and cool down to room temperature slowly, they shouldn't suffer from any shock.

Please feel free to contradict me anyone but I have had my bladder snails living like this for many months and they are fine. :D

FC76

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
This is going to sound horrid, but you could try a test using a baby snail   *ducks from all the shouting*
  :yikes:

They're teeny and only a mm or 2 in length fortunately most of them are still on the plant the eggs were laid on and that's attached to a log, I've only got 3 adults so I reckon I'll do a bit of both, shift the log and the adults and use eSha 2000 on the tank.

Ironically, the common pond snails, ramshorn snails and other little brown jobbies were completely uneffected by eSha 2000.

Ok watch this space I guess and lets see what happens. Thankee all I knew you'd come up with something

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible Finrot and Assassin snails"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
by notungz
5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 07:28:54 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 12:37:29 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2018, 05:56:11 AM
by Rustle
4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 10:10:05 AM
by TopCookie
3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 10:53:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: