Popeyed Black Widow Tetra With Other Symptoms

Author Topic: Popeyed black widow tetra with other symptoms  (Read 3714 times) 3 replies

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Popeyed black widow tetra with other symptoms
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my five black widow tetras is definitely sickening for something  :(

Yesterday, I noticed that this particular fish had poppy out eyes and one of its gills is reddish.  Looking at it today I think its body is a bit misshapen and its not a nice rounded shape like its brothers/sisters.  Also it appears to be opening and closing its mouth a lot, but it's not gulping air from the surface.  My water parameters are good - ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate was 10ish on Friday (I then did a 20 per cent WC), pH is 7.4 and KH is 2.8 (quite low I know, but pH seems to be holding its own, so haven't worried too much).  Since the tank cycled, I've been testing about every 3-4 days and the parameters have remained spot-on - even when more fish added.

Tank now has five black widow tetras and six glowlight tetras... oh, and four zebra snails (although these were only added yesterday).  None of the other fish seem affected.

At first I wasn't sure whether this BW was one of the first three (been in the tank about 10 weeks) or one of the two purchased about two weeks ago, but after giving it some thought, I'm almost sure that this fish is one of the original ones (so been through fish-in cycling, although amm and nitrite levels never got very high so hopefully not too stressful for the fish). 

Right from the start, this fish has behaved a bit "differently" from the others.  It tends to hang out in the top right hand bit of the tank and just stays motionless - so much so that during the first weeks of cycling, on several occasions I thought it was dead!  But it would then swim away....   As I'm typing this, it's motionless in it's usual corner.  The other four BW are swimming together happily.  It's definitely a different shape from the others, but I wasn't sure if this was just a difference in their sex.  Have tried to take photos but they're not very good and you can't really see the problems so haven't bothered posting them.

Do you think it's dying?  I've been trawling the internet and sometimes I think the symptoms of dropsy match it (it's body does look a bit "pine coney") but then with dropsy it says the gills are pale and the gills (certainly on one side) are pink/red.  I hate the thought of it being poorly, but I also dread the thought that it might give it's disease to the others.  I don't have a quarantine/hospital tank I could move it to and also no chance of getting a tank, filter, heater etc. before next weekend due to work commitments.

Sorry for the long essay but would really value your advice.  Do I just leave it and see what happens?  Do I get some kind of medication, but as I don't know what's wrong, which kind?  Should I euthanise it before it affects the whole tank - that sounds horribly callous to say that, but if I'm not able to isolate it from the others,  won't they all get it?  As I said, although I only noticed the poppy eyes over the last day or two, with hindsight I think this fish has been sickening for something for quite a while.

Hope someone can help....  Thanks!

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Popeyed black widow tetra with other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit late  :-[ How is the fish today?

I would suspect an internal infection of some kind with the pop eye and pine coning. The trouble is identifying the underlying disease so you know how to treat it. It could be bacterial or viral and in the latter case there are no treatments. And the meds available in the UK for bacterial infections are not very strong.

You could try an antibacterial such as Interpet anti internal bacteria or eSHa 2000, though you would have to treat the whole tank. The problem with that is your snails. If you did treat you'd have to remove them for the duration. That could be done especially in this warm weather. A tub of water, changed a couple of times a day would be OK, but you'd need a cover as they can climb out. And you'd need to be sure very trace of the med was gone before putting them back.
The other alternative is to put the fish down.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sue.  Unfortunately, today the fish seemed worse (certainly no better).  It had a long string of white poo attached to it and it looked very patchy, like lots of scales were missing.  It was also still breathing very rapidly.

After reading your advice and weighing up the pros and cons, I bought some clove oil and put the fish down  :(
Feel very guilty but as I think the fish had probably been sickening for several days before I noticed the poppy eyes, I was worried that by the time any medication was administered, it might have passed to the other fish.  Also it just didn't look at all happy.  I need to keep telling myself that!

I wish I knew what exactly the problem was - info on dropsy says it can be caused by stress and this particular fish always seemed a loner.  The other four BW would swim around together and more or less ignore the poorly one - apart from going in for a nip now and again.  Maybe it was a vicious circle - the poorly fish was ignored by the others which caused it be be stressed, it became ill, which then made the others be mean to it which stressed it out even more....   Anyway, it's too late now.  Hopefully none of the others will go the same way.  I did a 25% WC and so far so good.  I will be watching very carefully over the next few days.

Thanks again for your help.

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Putting a fish down is often the only way to relieve it's suffering.

Stress causes dropsy very indirectly. Stress makes a fish more likely to pick up an illness; internal infections can cause the kidneys to fail; kidneys not working causes the swelling which is the main symptom of dropsy.

Stringy white poo is a sign of internal problems such as infections or parasites. And it is possible the fish was never in full health when you bought it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Popeyed black widow tetra with other symptoms"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 08:34:27 PM
by Philip
Black Neon Tetra

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
by water watcher
37 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 07:49:02 PM
by Digs1923
34 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 10:17:33 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 09:56:44 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 09:09:09 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 09:39:17 AM
by Paddyc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: