Poorly Mr Betta

Author Topic: Poorly Mr Betta  (Read 9038 times) 36 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Poorly Mr Betta
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm very concerned about Mr Betta...

I was away at the weekend as it was my birthday on Wednesday and I decided to go and see my family.   Unfortunately it seems Mr Betta is not right.

Last night I noticed after work I hadn't seen him in the tank and panicked. However I found him inside his cave when I lifted it up and he came up to see me. 

Today again I couldn't see him and again found him in his cave. He came out for a swim around but he's very slow and after a few minutes despite food offers he returned back to his cave.

I'm very worried about him. ..

The only difference in the tank is I've noticed some new algae (it looks like green hair algae). The other two tank mates are fine and their usual lively selves constantly swimming towards me begging for food.

I'm worried maybe he has eaten something again, it looks like something is hanging out his mouth again. However looking closer it almost looks like algae is growing on his nose!?

I'm going to do a big water change and see if that helps...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Poorly Mr Betta
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
I hope MrB's OK - I feel a certain affinity!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
I hope MrB's OK - I feel a certain affinity!

Unfortunately things aren't looking good for him at all  :(

I just did a large water change and he came out because I moved the cave to  do a gravel clean... he just sort of 'hangs' in the water with his head up and tail down. I don't know what's wrong or what to do.  Will feed peas tonight and see if that helps but it really depends if he will even eat it

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
One other thing you could try is soaking his food in garlic juice. It is a mild antiseptic and can help.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
One other thing you could try is soaking his food in garlic juice. It is a mild antiseptic and can help.

I knew you'd be able to suggest something! Silly question but how do I make garlic juice? Do I literally just need to blend garlic?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »
If you have garlic cloves to hand, squash them to get the juice out. Blending would be a good way to do this. Or you can buy garlic juice (apparently, never seen any but then I've not looked for it either).

In theory, garlic also tempts fish to eat it.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Just a couple of quick observations from having a betta myself!!!

Apparently bettas shouldn't have peas as their digestive tract is not made to deal with them. Get your self some almond leaves they have anti fungal properties you could also try betta plus water conditioner which  has extract of almond leaf in it.

Hope he's ok!!!

FC76

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
Hmm I haven't fed peas recently so I doubt they would be the cause but I always thought they needed peas to avoid constipation? I can pick up some almond leaves after work tomorrow. 

I'm very concerned... he hasn't come out of the cave at all since I last posted surely he needs to breathe? If I'm honest I don't know if he will make the night :-( wish I knew what the problem was

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »
Well, he has made the night! As soon as the lights came on he was about swimming then went to the top.. I'm not sure if he gulped air or not before he went back to hanging. He's returned to the cave now

Edit: actually he hadn't returned to his cave I found him hiding at the back of the tank. He's swimming slightly better than yesterday but is still hanging with his bum down.  I've read this could be swim bladder so I added peas but he didn't seem interested.  I'll pop into the MA on the way home and ask advice and maybe pick up some almond leaves. .. I hope he gets better

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »
Hey jesnon,

I do hope Mr Betta is ok. You might find this website useful to find a diagnosis for him.

http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

i've been looking at it this morning to try and find out what is going on with my phantoms as another one has died this morning, and may I say have scared myself half to death with some of the suggestions it has given me!!!!! :yikes:

I would advise to use it when you are feeling logical and to work through the symptoms one by one and be as truthful as you can with yourself about what you've seen and what you think you've seen now it has been suggested by the website!!!!!!

Hope it helps!!!

FC76

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Thank you FC that website looks really useful!

I think if anything if is SBD or some kind of internal infection.  After talking with s LFS they recommended some medication which I've dosed now but things aren't really looking good.  When I got in he was in the cave again which I moved to check he hadn't died, he swam out but is now sat on the cave not moving at all  :(

I will try feeding food soaked in garlic tonight and see what happens...

The medication is anti internal bacteria by NT labs. It says on the instructions to dose every other day up to 4 times, and to double the dose if ph is over 7.5. I've just done one dose but could add another

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Just a little update from me.  Mr Betta is doing ok, he still hides all day in the cave but today when I lifted it he was swimming much better and appeared brighter. He still isn't eating though and is hanging still at times and spending all day in his cave. I'll dose the med again tomorrow and see how he goes.  I offered flake today which Oz and Bow ate, but will try blood worm later and see if that encourages him to eat

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

Just back from 10 days away and sorry to hear about Mr Betta. I hope he'S still improving. Are you sure he's not being stressed by his tank mates?

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
Hi Jesnon :wave:

So sorry to read about Mr. Betta :( I hope he starts to get better soon...these fishies do worry us sometimes, don't they?

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

Just back from 10 days away and sorry to hear about Mr Betta. I hope he'S still improving. Are you sure he's not being stressed by his tank mates?

I'm pretty sure he isn't being hassled by the tank mates as they basically completely ignore each other.  Normally if a fellow endler is sick they tend to nip and chase the poor individual but they've continued to completely ignore each other!
Hi Jesnon :wave:

So sorry to read about Mr. Betta :( I hope he starts to get better soon...these fishies do worry us sometimes, don't they?

Unfortunately he's still a poorly guy but instead was hiding behind the filter intake instead of in the cave and he tried to eat today.  I'm away over night at work so I'm hoping my partner has been looking after him.  He's still hanging but I've dosed more med and will see how he goes. . Fingers crossed

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
Unfortunately my partner just informed me that Mr Betta has died :-( pretty gutted. Not really sure what to do now, starting to wonder if I should just give up since I seem to kill everything I touch!

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. But don't give up yet.

I once bought a betta that lived 12 days. He was a butterfly superdelta, pale blue body, pale blue fins with white edges and red spots in the white margins. I bought him on 13 Feb 2010 and he died 25 Feb 2010. Yes, I do keep records of the fish I buy. He never seemed quite right; he was jumpy and nervous all the time I had him.
I bought my current betta on 27 April 2013. He is still alive although he is starting to show his age.

From one extreme to the other. Apart from the ones that are obviously sick in the shop, you just can't tell in advance which fish will live for 18 months and which will live for 12 days.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. But don't give up yet.

I once bought a betta that lived 12 days. He was a butterfly superdelta, pale blue body, pale blue fins with white edges and red spots in the white margins. I bought him on 13 Feb 2010 and he died 25 Feb 2010. Yes, I do keep records of the fish I buy. He never seemed quite right; he was jumpy and nervous all the time I had him.
I bought my current betta on 27 April 2013. He is still alive although he is starting to show his age.

From one extreme to the other. Apart from the ones that are obviously sick in the shop, you just can't tell in advance which fish will live for 18 months and which will live for 12 days.

Thanks Sue, I guess you're right! I just wish the poor little guy could have spent longer with me :-(

I have seen some absolutely gorgeous fish when I went to buy some meds for him.  Ideally how long til I should get another betta?

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

So sorry to hear about Mr Betta.
I was just typing my reply when Sue beat me to it, which is good, because she's the one with the knowledge!
My original message urged you not to give up and to remember that you have some healthy fish remaining in your tank, which suggests that the problem was with Mr Betta himself, rather than something you did or didn't do. Who knows what conditions he was kept in before you got him? Isn't it more likely that these contributed to his decline?

Fish keeping is an absolute pleasure, until everything goes wrong, as everyone on this forum knows. Don't think of giving up. Everyone will be wiling to give you advice and support when you feel ready to get another fish - perhaps another Betta even.  :-\

Diz

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »

I have seen some absolutely gorgeous fish when I went to buy some meds for him.  Ideally how long til I should get another betta?

There are two point to consider.

If the betta that just died had some infection, you should wait until you know the tank is free of it. Without fish in the tank, most diseases will die off. But you do have fish in the tank, and unless there's something you've not told us, they are fit and healthy suggesting (as Diz says) there was something wrong with the betta when you got him.

The opposing point is that if you wait to get another, your bacteria will die off to the amount needed for just the fish you till have. Getting one quickly will prevent this die back.

I would be inclined to get another straight away.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly Mr Betta"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 04:16:08 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 02:01:00 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
by Extreme_One
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: