Poorly Mr Betta

Author Topic: Poorly Mr Betta  (Read 9081 times) 36 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Poorly Mr Betta
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Aah, Jesnon...really, really sorry to hear that :( It's so horrible when you lose a fishy, but please don't give up. I'm betting like everyone else that he was already a bit poorly/older when you got him, and that there was nothing you did, that caused this. He perhaps was never meant to be around for long, maybe that was why a name for him never caught your imagination :-\
I think, like Sue, that you should go and get another one as soon as you can....good luck, hope there's one that you fall in love with straight away.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »
Thank you all for the lovely messages of support. Poor Mr Betta, such a shame. 

I know there are some lovely bettas in the Aquajardin, however that's also where I bought Mr Betta from so I'm not sure whether to avoid it.  Though Oz and Bow also came from there and they're doing great. 

I could potentially get one tomorrow but will see...

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »
this has gotten me through some tough times.i highly recommend you read this most people will cry when they read this including me.

Every day, in aquariums, pet stores, and private homes, fish pass away, often times largely unnoticed. Many suffered in their last days or hours, grappling with disease, being attacked by tankmates, or having their bodies trapped against filters when they grew too weak to swim. So few fish have lived well on this earth, being used as decorations or disposable pets instead of being recognized as the special individuals that each of them are.

Thankfully for them, there is a better place.

We've all heard about the Rainbow Bridge, where dogs and cats and other pets cross over into the next life, where they run and play healthy and whole until their special person comes to retrieve them one day. What most people do not know is that there is a beautiful, flowing creek running under the Rainbow Bridge, leading to many vast lakes, swamps, rivers, and even oceans, where fish can live in bliss and harmony after what is all too often a short life of suffering.

You see, when a fish passes away, his spirit leaves the pain of his body and enters warm, flowing waters. There, he finds himself whole; tattered fins are restored, fungus-clogged gills are free and functional, open wounds are healed, and "pinecone" scales lay flat. There are other fish there, but none of them chase, nip fins, or threaten. The current is never too strong, the water temperature is always just right, and there and plants and rocks to hide amongst - not that there is anything to fear. Social fish swim close with their peers, while solitary species always have enough space for comfort. They all travel through these peaceful waters in one great school towards their destination.

Eventually, the waters of the creek are illuminated with the technicolor glow of the beautiful rainbow arching high above. Cats, dogs, rabbits - every animal you can imagine - cavorts above them, but the fish needn't fear predation or harm. As they flow beneath the rainbow, they come to a crossroads; little streams leading to the ideal habitat of each species. There are warm stretches of rice paddies for the bettas. There are cool, vegetated ponds for the goldfish and koi. Bright, welcoming reefs greet the oceanic fish, and warm, freshwater ponds, rivers, and creeks spread wide for the tropical species.

The fish huddle at the cross-roads tentatively, nervous of what awaits them next. Maybe some are unused to wide spaces; others have never seen their natural habitat. Some are afraid larger fish will eat them if they break away from the group. But finally, one will swim forwards. His fins will wriggle with excitement, and he will zip through the water gleefully, towards his new home in the next life. There, he will find others of his kind, though a fight will never occur. Food will be plentiful and living, not freeze-dried or pelleted. There will be no harsh lights or noisy filters, because the waters here are always ideal for their inhabitants.

And perhaps, if the fish had a special someone who cared in their life, that person will one day sit by the lake or shore or riverbed, where he or she will be recognized by a beloved pet. A flick of the fins and a friendly snout poking through the water's surface will reunite the two at last, with the message passed between them:

It's all going to be okay now...

i got this from another site but he should really read it.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

I have seen some absolutely gorgeous fish when I went to buy some meds for him.  Ideally how long til I should get another betta?

The opposing point is that if you wait to get another, your bacteria will die off to the amount needed for just the fish you till have. Getting one quickly will prevent this die back.

I would be inclined to get another straight away.

That's an interesting point Sue. In a situation like this, how long do you have before the bacteria die back to cope with the remaining fish and therefore how long can you leave it before buying a replacement for the fish that died?

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

Sorry about Mr Betta. I concur with all the sentiments already expressed. some fish are just not right and cant cope with life.  you mustn't beat yourself up. i know what you mean about feeling like everything you touch is doomed. Stanley, my Betta was so stunning when i got him and now because of a couple of bad decisions on my part is a ragged, sorry looking fish and I feel so ashamed.

Also remember the journey Mr Betta probably had to go through to get to your tank. Stanley came originally from Indonesia!!!!!

Chin up lass!!!!   :)

Brian, I've heard of the rainbow bridge before, it's a lovely sentiment!!  :)

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
Hi Fishcake,

How is Stanley doing now?

Diz

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

I have seen some absolutely gorgeous fish when I went to buy some meds for him.  Ideally how long til I should get another betta?

The opposing point is that if you wait to get another, your bacteria will die off to the amount needed for just the fish you till have. Getting one quickly will prevent this die back.

That's an interesting point Sue. In a situation like this, how long do you have before the bacteria die back to cope with the remaining fish and therefore how long can you leave it before buying a replacement for the fish that died?

It used to be thought that filter bacteria died within a few hours of insufficient food. Recent knowledge is that they don't die immediately, they become dormant before they die, and it takes weeks or even months rather than hours for them to die. But the longer they are dormant, ie without food, the longer it takes them to 'wake up' once food becomes available again.
I will be honest and say I don't know exactly how long they will remain undormant for, but I think up to a week is fine. Even if they have become dormant by the end of a week, they will 'wake up' very quickly. Possibly even a couple of weeks is fine. And since it is good practice to test for ammonia and nitrite for several days after getting new fish, any lag in them waking up will be spotted immediately.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
Thanks Sue, that's good to know. :)

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Hi Diz,

He is ok in himself. (currently investigating some nerite snails in a bag in his tank that I am acclimatising).

His fins are ok-ish. The fin rot has almost completely gone and regrowth is beginning but he is tatty and his dorsal fin is all clamped shut. I think this is called sticky fin(?) and on reading about it i still have no real understanding of what causes it!!!

Looking at the pics of how he was and now how he is, is soul destroying tho.  :(

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

Glad to hear he's on the mend. I'm sure his fin will improve as well. I've also heard of this 'sticky fin', but I'm not sure what causes it or how to cure it. Apparently, it's common for the more 'full-finned' varieties of Bettas (rather than the relatively short-finned plakats), so don't beat yourself up about it too much. Perhaps Sue might be able to tell you more? ???

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
I'm sure that Sue will know exactly what to do!!!!  what would we do without her. O:-)

I've put a picture of Stan saying hello to his new snail pals in a separate thread, so we don't go completely off topic here!!!

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
From what I can gather, water changes are the best way to help the betta's fins. Sticky fins is not something my bettas have ever had; bits falling off the fins, yes, but not sticky. Yet.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
Well I thought I'd update a little, I popped into my LFS on the way to work today and. .. have reserved a new betta. I was a little disappointed my favourite one from the other day has already gone, but my new betta will be a pale bodied bit orangey yellow full tailed chap. He seemed happy and alert and is in a tank on his own.  The new delivery comes on Thursday so I could have waited.. But I didn't want to wait and for him to be gone!!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Stanley but sure he will recover well. Do keep us updated about him

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
Well I thought I'd update a little, I popped into my LFS on the way to work today and. .. have reserved a new betta. I was a little disappointed my favourite one from the other day has already gone, but my new betta will be a pale bodied bit orangey yellow full tailed chap. He seemed happy and alert and is in a tank on his own.  The new delivery comes on Thursday so I could have waited.. But I didn't want to wait and for him to be gone!!

Good for you Jesnon. Let us know how you get on :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
Sorry about MrB Jesnon. I suppose Bettas must be a bit like guppies, so over-bred for their colours that there are quite a few weak ones around..... and he was one of those.

I look forward to piccies of your new Betta..... whatever he may be called.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
while i was at walmart i saw 2 crown tails that looked like they came from the same birth.i never have seen 2 bettas that have such amazing colors that looked like they were from the same birth.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly Mr Betta"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 04:16:08 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 02:01:00 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
by Extreme_One
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: