Poorly Guppy (with Pic)

Author Topic: Poorly Guppy (with pic)  (Read 3599 times) 3 replies

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
Poorly Guppy (with pic)
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:26:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Back again with another sickly fish - this time it's a guppy...

We've had 3 female and one male guppy for about a week now.  One of the females died a couple of days ago.  The other half said it looked like it had a misshapen head and had trouble feeding, but the pet shop have said they'd replace it since it died within a week of buying it.

Another guppy is looking rather ill.  It's top fin seems to be almost non-existent and it looks to have a white lump under the fin.  I mentioned it to the pet shop when I popped in for a water test and they recommended dosing the tank with 'Anti Bacteria and Fungus' treatment (once today and again in 7 days) - this stuff treats external bacteria, fin & mouth rot, and cotton wool disease.

Would anyone be able to actually say what is wrong with my fish and if it's likely it can be saved?  I've attached a picture, hopefully it's good enough to use for a diagnosis...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Poorly Guppy (with pic)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »
It could just be modern guppies, I'm afraid. They are quite weak fish these days due to inbreeding and commercial breeders using any fish to breed from, no matter how healthy (or otherwise) the fish might be.

It is quite hard to say what exactly is wrong from the photo, though I do wonder if it is made worse by your water. You said the shop tested for ammonia but didn't tell you the numbers and that your nitrate is high - both of these will affect a fish that isn't in the best of health.

You mentioned in another thread that you'd only done one 6 litre water change so far with a 50 litre tank, and that you'd got the first fish about 4 weeks ago - do you mean you've only changed 6 litres if water in that 4 weeks?
Unless your tank is heavily planted (like Richard W's) you need to change more water than that. With 50 litres, something like 10 to 12 litres a week would be better. Water changes aren't just for removing ammonia and nitrite; they remove nitrate and other things we can't test for such as fish hormones.

Is your water hard or soft? That info should be on your water company's website somewhere. I ask because guppies originally came from hard water and although they have been commercially bred for hundreds of guppy generations, they still prefer hard water.

I have tried to keep guppies from time to time and they all die pretty quickly so I have given up trying to keep them, especially as I have softish water.

Offline Rootjj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Total newbie!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »
Hi again Sue!

My water is classed as 'very hard' so I think that's okay.  I realise the lack of water changing was an issue and I'm going to keep on top of that now - 20% per week seems to be an agreed figure (so 10 litres.)  I did this two days ago and it seemed to have an immediately positive impact on the fish.

I'll watch the guppy carefully for the rest of the week and see if she improves.  It might just be inbreeding as you say (hopefully that's all it is.)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:31:53 AM »
If its a fungal infection the meds will work but as Sue said water quality is key. Fingers crossed she'll recover. By the way, if you do a water change when you're using meds, you need to work out the percentage you remove with the changed water and add that back to the tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly Guppy (with pic)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
by Loubaa
5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 04:36:50 PM
by FishCoop
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 08:57:10 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2016, 09:38:32 PM
by fruitbat
14 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 05:46:29 PM
by Rustle
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: