Female Goldeneye With Camallanus Worms

Author Topic: Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms  (Read 8734 times) 28 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 07:15:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It says to treat 14 days later for the eggs, if these are on the bottom of the hospital tank, can I not simply return her?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
These worms lay eggs which cannot be killed by any meds. The problems is, did the worms lay any eggs in the main tank before you moved her. If they did, you'll have to treat the main tank anyway as the rest of the fish will have eaten these eggs. Just because this one fish shows signs does not mean the other fish are already infected. And if the other fish are infected, their worms will start laying eggs which will re-infect the goldeneye.

I would treat both the main tank with the full dose regime, and treat the hospital tank with the second dose as per instructions, though with no fish in the hospital tank once the eggs hatch the worm larvae should die reasonably quickly.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »
Thanks @Sue. Is the second dose to kill what's in the substrate/tank, is the fish itself 'clear' in theory?

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The first dose kills the worms inside the fish. But the worms will have already laid eggs which can't be killed. The fish eat those eggs, which hatch inside the fish, or they eat the larvae that hatch from eggs in the water (I read somewhere that the larvae wriggle around to temp the fish to eat them), and the fish get infected again. It takes a short time for the new infestation to mature enough to lay their own eggs, and the second dose kills the second infestation before they have chance to mature. And it kills any larvae in the water that were eggs when when the first dose was added.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 08:48:54 PM »
Brilliant explanation thanks @Sue

I added a comma to your reply for additional clarity in the third sentence between eggs and which - let me know if I've misunderstood things?

She looked so much better today... much less swollen abdomen and I think she had eaten again. I am getting better at spotting and treating issues... quite proud of myself really. This is the second time I've spotted an issue and saved the fish through medication. First time round was the gcomet goldfish when first introduced to the pond, once developed a fungal infection. Though this time round I have definately learnt to research the medication. I panic bought on Sunday evening as my LFS was closing. The first med was not right.

Just wondering how these worms get introduced to an aquarium as I've not added any fish for yonks... maybe through frozen food? Off to do some research...

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:37 AM »
That's great news matt' that the fish is doing well, It's a great sense of achievement when you actually spot something is wrong and save the fish. I have lost a few but saved some as well in the past from all different ailments including dropsy and when it works it's a great feeling.  :cheers:

Did you happen to see all the dead worms in the bottom of the hospital tank ? i remember how long and how many there were and i can't imagine how that fish was feeling with them inside them like that.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:59 AM »
No I didn't see them on the bottom to be honest... I can only assume she ate them again... though now harmless to her  :sick:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »
I have returned her to the main tank. Sure enough I have since seen signs of worms in the Stiphodons. The while tank is undergoing treatment. Snails seem unaffected. Shrimp are ok but all a lot 'less hidey' than normal. The Amano shrimp didn't look all that great, 2 of 4 right up at the surface and so the three of them I could find have been moved temporarily to the dwarf puffer tank. As for the cherries, I stand no chance of catching them all so am just keeping a close eye on things for the time being. They only have about 5 more hours of treatment to go now.

I actually think I may have observed a dieing worm. It was sticking out of the stiphodon whilst it was sat on the front glass and so i got a good chance to observe it sort of pulsating along it's length. Like it was getting thicker/redder in waves across its body...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 07:28:44 PM »
Fingers crossed that your shrimp are ok during the treatment.
As unpleasant as it sounds, it must have been fascinating to watch the worm coming out of the stiphodon during treatment. I probably would have spent some time watching that too.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 11:51:46 AM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 02:04:33 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 01:28:48 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 09:17:04 AM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post December 18, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: