Platy Pregnant Or Poorly? Plus Nasty Guppy

Author Topic: Platy pregnant or poorly? Plus nasty guppy  (Read 3708 times) 5 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Platy pregnant or poorly? Plus nasty guppy
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Oh dear I seem to be having a few problems in the tank just now. I have had it for a few months and all going swimmingly. Corys all very happy and minnows zipping around, having babies etc, so I thought I could risk adding a few more.
Now guppies (two boys) are fighting (one is constantly on the other's back and looks as though he may have damaged a fin), another guppy has snuffed it hours after being introduced to the tank and one of the new blue platies (bought a couple of days ago) won't move - just sitting behind a rock, not feeding, fins and mouth moving but otherwise lacking in any sort of joie de vivre.
Now I did notice that this platy had a bit of a round tummy at the front and wondered if my plans for an all boy tank had gone wrong? S/he is behind a rock so I can't check out the fins... if she is pregnant is this normal behaviour and how long does it normally take for them to have the babies?
Have tested the water and it's fine. The only thing is I moved the tank recently from my classroom to home last week, but the fish that are having probs were all introduced post-move and the others are completely fine. When I moved the tank I washed the filters and rinsed the sponge in tank water and cleaned the gravel under the tap. I transported about 3/4 of the tank water with the fish.
I was told the guppies might be hungry and I am not feeding them enough, so I have started to up the food a little, but still harassing his friend. I wondered if he is just - ahem - frustrated at the lack of girl company?
Anyway, I realise that there are quite a few things here, but just wondered if anyone could suggest what I should do/have done wrong?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Platy pregnant or poorly? Plus nasty guppy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
Are you checking your ammonia and nitrite levels? There are some bacteria on the substrate and you might well have killed them when you washed the gravel under the tap. But there would not have been nearly as many bacteria as in the filter and they should have made up any losses very quickly.
How far, in terms of tapwater chemistry, was the move? The same town should be the same tapwater but if it was further, could your home and the classroom have different tapwater?

Guppies to have this unpleasant habit of fighting each other. With several, the nippiness is spread out but with two, the dominant one could well be picking on the subservient one. I'm afraid that's just the way guppies are.
Fish are always hungry. They don't find food every day in the wild so their instincts are to stuff themselves when they find food. They don't know you'll be feeding them every day. I would put the scrappiness down to to the just being male guppies rather than not being fed enough.
If you were to get some female guppies, you would need at least four (two females for every male) which would result in four batches of fry every month. And guppy fry are not the easiest of fish to rehome as they are so cheap. Shops are reluctant to take them as they can get so many cheap fish from their wholesaler so why risk possible disease from an unknown tank?

The platy - if it is female, it will be pregnant if there were males in the same tank in the shop. Pregnant females do tend to go off on there own just before they drop fry, and can be quite grumpy with fish that go near. But being fat could also be a sign of dropsy, and if it is male it's not pregnant. I know it's hard to see it, but if you could manage to look down on it from above you'd be able to see if the scales are sticking out from the body.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
Thanks Sue
I've been checking the levels - all within the safe parameters. Luckily school is five mins walk so no change in water. How should I have cleaned the gravel? I do a regular "hoover" as part of the partial water change each week - does it even need washing?

The platy's scales seem fine from what I can see. Are the sticking out scales a sign of dropsy? Its fins are rotating around as if it were swimming but it's just sitting. The guppy that died seemed to be struggling - periodic bursts of energy and then dropping to the floor. This one has got no better or worse. I suppose time will tell!

I think with hindsight my next tank should be just a big bunch of corys and a big bunch of minnows. Cute, calm and no trouble (so far)!!!

And by the way thank you again  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »
Whenever I've needed to clean the substrate I've always washed it under the outside tap, but checked the ammonia/nitrite levels for a few days to be safe and never seen a blip. I've only cleaned it like this when I've moved a tank and had to empty all the water.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
I think with hindsight my next tank should be just a big bunch of corys and a big bunch of minnows. Cute, calm and no trouble (so far)!!!

There's a lot to be said about a tank with corys at the bottom, barbs in the lower half and tetras/rasboras in the upper half - or something similar. Peaceful, colourful and robust!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Sparkle (platy) has sadly departed to the big fish bowl in the sky  :'( . Turns out he was a boy after all. I've had a good look at the corpse and can't see any odd colours, redness, roughness of scales. The other fish are looking fine so far. It's just odd that two fish of different species have both died within a day of being put in the tank. I am worried that there is some bug in there and I am sentencing the rest of them to death by not doing anything!

There's a lot to be said about a tank with corys at the bottom, barbs in the lower half and tetras/rasboras in the upper half - or something similar. Peaceful, colourful and robust!

Great idea - I'm going to investigate some good options for the next tank!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Platy pregnant or poorly? Plus nasty guppy"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 02:26:57 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 04:55:40 PM
by Loubaa
2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 05:42:14 PM
by ellen
3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 11:31:53 AM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: