Pearl With Popeye

Author Topic: Pearl with Popeye  (Read 7354 times) 12 replies

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
Pearl with Popeye
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My pearl danio has what I think is Popeye - but only has it in one eye!! 

Since this morning the eye is looking bigger and bigger and not looking good at all.

Can anyone advise how to treat it please?

Grateful for any help, thanks!!

Carol

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Pearl with Popeye
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
Since I'm not very good with diseases I googled popeye and found an article by Neale Monks - he is one of the the fish experts around.

To summarise what he says:
If it's both eyes, it's usually due to poor water conditions; if it's one eye it could also be injury.
Popeye is difficult to treat because there are three problems. Damage to the cornea, opportunistic bacterial infection (ie an infection that gets in to somewhere already damaged) and fluid behing the eyeball.
Cure: damage to the cornea - that will heal by itself in time if the water is kept extra clean. Swelling behind the eye - extra clean water, good diet, epsom salt baths in a separate tank (1 to 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons/20 litres). Treatment with medication used to treat finrot.
But if it really gets hold, it would need antibiotics, a problem for those of us in the UK.
Severe damage may never heal and the fish might lose the eye, but one-eyed fish can live quite happily in an aquarium.

Sorry I can't be any more help. I would try Neale's suggestions and see what happens.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi Sue - I thought you would come to the rescue (as always!!).  Im pleased the site is back up and running again.

That is really interesting info - thank you for your time finding out for me.

I had been looking it up on the internet but to be honest found quite conflicting advice, in the end not sure what to believe.  So I am so pleased to have the knowledge you supplied.

It could be injury as she does swim around fast especially when food is involved!! and plays up and down the glass 100mph swirling around as well.

I will certainly keep water extra clean and monitor the eye carefully see if that helps.  I did buy Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria today says helps cure Popeye but not used it at present will see if her eye heals before I do (unless you advise use the Anti Internal Bacteria as well perhaps??).

Thanks again Sue,

Carol

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
It does help knowing who to believe when googling  :) I know Neale Monks' repuation so if I can find something by him, that's the one I go with.

Do you have a quarantine tank you could use for treating the affected fish? If not, I'd wait a while and see how the fish fares before treating the whole tank. In the meantime, keep up with extra water changes as Neale did stress extra clean water. What do you normally feed? He also mentioned a good diet, so if you usually stick with one kind of flake, maybe get a small tub of another flake or microgranules or something. Not sinking food though as danios feed upper and mid level don't they? Just something for a bit of variety. Of course if you already do this, ignore that last bit  ;D

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info (sory delay replying).

Yes I do feed variety of flakes and other treats (they are spoilt!!)

I have been changing the water every other day, taking out about 20%.  Not gravel cleaned though normally do this once a week.

I do have a small hospital tank but bit relucant to put her in due to size.

The eye is still bulging, no improvement but she is swimming around, eating normal.  Occassionaly she has been hiding behind a plant, it appears when I put the lights on she dont like it for a while but she soon comes round and out playing again swirling around in the bubbles up and down the glass!!

Fingers crossed I can help cure her eye.

Thanks Sue!!

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
Hi Sue,

Just a quick update, Pearl's eye has now got really swollen and not looking good.

Doing as advised clean water but there was no improvement with the eye and it was just staying the same but she was swimming and eating as normal and did'nt appear to be causing her too much pain.  Afraid in the last day or so it has become more swollen, now time it's to use medication but I'm dreading it incase it causes her pain to the eye. 

I now you mentioned before to use Fintrot med - can you recommend a good one to use? (I have Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria).

Thank You
Carol

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear the fish is not getting better, sometimes that happens in spite of all our care.

The finrot medications I prefer are eSHa 2000 and Waterlife's myxazin.

Good luck!

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
Please can anyone advise of a good website to use to purchase medication for fish?

I have ordered Myxazin twice now from 2 different websites and both have advised they cannot get hold of it due to manufacture no longer making it.  Anyone else heard of this too?

Im still trying to help my fish with Popeye! Not had much success with the other med I have tried. 

If anyone can recommend a med you have used and worked - I would be really grateful.

Thanks Carol

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
Hi Carol,

It comes up on ebay..... though I suggest you ask the expiry date wherever you manage to source it, especially if it is allegedly no longer manufactured.

Good luck. Hope you manage to sort something out soon  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
One of my not-quite-local fish shops sells it, and they sell it on-line. You could give them a try and see what they say
http://www.chiltonaquatics.co.uk/index-2.html
the home page gives a phone number and their stock list is on aquarist classifieds for on-line purchasing
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_79815.php
Waterlife products are down towards the bottom of the page after the fish, seachem and esha products.

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Thanks to you both, will give those a try hopefully may have it in stock.

Keep you posted how the fish is doing.  The eye is really not looking good, very swollen and I feel desperate now what to treat it with so hope I can get Myxain.

Thanks Carol

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
Hi sorry i missed this, cant remeber why but i was reading about this the other day. You probably no but the pop eye is a symptomrather than a ailment, its a build up of fluid behind thw eye and can often be caused by injury or a bacterial infection if obly in one eye. Not sure how easy it is but i read that there are antbiitic fish foods available but they are only by vet prescription. I no tetra have just bought out some new medications and interpet seem to have a treatment for most things including anti internal bacterial no 9 which is what i would try myself.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Carol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi Don,

Sorry Don missed your reply.  Thanks for the info.  It was strange one minute my Pearl was fine, next time I looked I could see problems with her eye.  From all your help and info I recon it could be due to injury, sadly.

Sue has been helping me under 'Fish Health' category with medication to help treat the popeye - if you want to catch up on progess (not much progress though, shame as it is!).

Never heard  a vet can prescribe antibiotic food - thats something else I have learnt!

I have never used Tetra - worth having a look at, thanks.

I had tried Interpet but didn't help her eye.

Just in the middle of trying Myxazin.

Thanks again Don,

Carol

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pearl with Popeye"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 08:28:56 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 04:16:37 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2016, 09:20:33 PM
by Cod_only_knows
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 08:57:20 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2018, 06:54:59 PM
by Lynne W
1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 10:32:12 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: