Author Topic: Pea stuck in endlers mouth  (Read 6297 times) 11 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Pea stuck in endlers mouth
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :o

Well it all seems to be going wrong!

My pretty endler Ace has bitten off more than he can chew...  ::) I had peas with my dinner today and decided to save one as a treat for my fish. Anyway all well until I noticed something odd about Ace's mouth - at first I thought it was some kind of damage before I realised it was wedged open and filled with pea. He doesn't seem distressed by this at all but I'm worried he'll choke or something :/

Not sure what I can do with such a small mouth to deal with though  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Pea stuck in endlers mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
Endlers are a bit small to do anything with. With bigger fish, you catch it, put it in a shallow dish of tankwater, hold it down with a wet paper towel (your skin is too hot for direct contact) and try removing it with a pair of tweezers. You could try that if you think you could cope with a fish that small. I did it with one of the fairground goldfish that got a bit of gravel stuck years ago, but it was quite a big fish. I also tried with my female bolivian ram but it didn't work.

The one thing about pea compared to a piece of gravel is that it should get softer, so Ace should be able to get rid of it before too long.

Fingers crossed.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
Hmm I suspect since I'm so clumsy is probably do more harm than good if I attempted that, I'll keep an eye on him and if it's not looking good I'll have to try this. The pea is still there this morning, it looks a little mushier but that might just be me being hopeful. He still seems ok but definitely not quite himself... But I guess he wouldn't be swimming with his mouth wedged this whole time! I thought I'd mushed the pea up well enough, and any bigger bits they normally just pick at but I guess not this time :/

I hope he can get rid of it, thanks Sue. Feels so helpless just hoping for the best but nothing much else can be done :-( he's a tough little thing so hopefully he'll pull through

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Well, hes still here. He spent a lot of time swimming slowly at the top of the tank yesterday but when I got back from work today he was swarming frantically with the others. The pea is white mush now so hopefully it'll fall out soon enough. I hope he's not too hungry in the mean time :/

Offline foolsgold

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
can you not perform the heimlich manoeuvre on him  ;D

Tiger Barb (12) - Platy (2) - Rosy Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Black Neon Tetra (6) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »
If only!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »
Oh Jesnon, aren't these fishies a worry?
Hope he gets rid of his pea soon...still, the good news is that it will give you an excuse to keep an eye on his poo  ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »
Haha true! It's still there this morning unfortunately and I have to go back to Bristol overnight so have asked my partner to keep an eye on him. We had a closer look yesterday and it definitely is pea, so hopefully...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Just had word from my partner that Ace is now pea free!

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
Thank Goodness! Now, make sure you tell him to chew his food properly next time ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »
Mushy peas from now on, Jesnon!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
That's the thing - I thought they were mushy! and yes I really ought to teach him better table manners!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pea stuck in endlers mouth"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
154 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 07:00:14 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
by Emmdee
15 Replies
Last post March 09, 2019, 07:21:34 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 06:12:37 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: