One Ill Danio

Author Topic: One ill danio  (Read 3630 times) 9 replies

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
One ill danio
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all just a little advice if you can please... I have six danios and two pearl gouramis in my 180 ltr tank. The danios were in during cycling due to local pet shop advice ( I wouldn't do it again as I now know the alternatives) and the pearls went in after the cycle was complete. One of the danios was appearing to not grow as quick and aprox a week ago stopped obviously feeding but was still swimming and making an effort to keep up with the others. Yesterday he didn't bother and was staying at the bottom of the tank, today he is barely moving from the bottom. My water is as follows and has been for the last week, bar a two day .25 ammonia spike when i introduced the two gouramis ;  ph either 7.4 on tetra strip or looking more like 8 on api master kit, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40 max, temp 79 deg.
The other fish seem happy and active no problems. Have I basically killed a weak fish through cycling or could there be an issue to look for in the other fish too?
Any advice would be great fully received as my intention is certainly not to hurt the fish I have!
Cheers :-)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (3) - Platy (0) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (3) - Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: One ill danio
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
Going through a fish-in cycle does have effects on even the hardiest fish, I'm afraid. But it could equally well be that this danio was not in the best of health when you bought it. I know zebra danios are among the hardiest fish around, but even with them there will be individuals that are weaker than usual. Fish breeding is big business. The usual practice when breeding fish is to cull deformed or weak looking fry but fish farms are producing so many fish they can't do that. And they use less than perfect fish to breed from, passing weaknesses on to the next generation.

I wouldn't blame yourself too much. The chances are that this fish would have become sick sooner or later. I always by one or two more fish that I really want with shoaling fish for this very reason.

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Hi Sue, thanks for your reply, he is still hanging on in there and the others are doing fine. As a newbie advice is hugely appreciated!
Cheers  :)

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (3) - Platy (0) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (3) - Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
79oF is pretty warm for danios, 75 would be the recommended maximum. It might not be helping.

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
Hi Richard, thank you.
I will knock the heater temp down a little for them, can anyone advise how quickly a 4 degree drop should be done?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
One degree C in 24 hours is the usual rate of temp change, up or down.

75 deg F is the max for danios, they would prefer cooler than that.

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »
Thanks for that I have dropped the heater temp slightly so I'll see if its dropped the water temp tomorrow evening. Is there a good compromise for the danios and the pearl gouramis as there is so much different info out re preferred water temp for the gourami, I think 74 is ok but at the cooler end for them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
75 C does seem to be the lower end for pearl gouramis (just checked with Seriously Fish). In that case, you'll have to compromise with the top end for the danios and the lower end for the gouramis.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
i have been running my tank at 24- 25 degrees now for 2 months as a compramise between my fish including danio's and all seems fine

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
Thanks chris that's great to know a compromise is achievable  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "One ill danio"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 07:11:22 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2013, 01:23:22 PM
by Narm1971
1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 02:44:41 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 01:00:38 PM
by dino
6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 07:43:52 PM
by CluckieT
5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
by Extreme_One
3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 01:22:50 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: