New Tank Problems

Author Topic: New tank problems  (Read 3675 times) 4 replies

pmalipha

New tank problems
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi. Have had a 60l tank running for 3 years (aqua art). Upgraded to a Rekord 800 nearly 2 weeks ago due to all sorts of problems with old tank (cheaper to buy new rather than fix!). Used the water from the old tank, plants, decorations and some media. All seemed well and fish were fine (3 harlequin rasbora, 2 neon tetras, 3 glowlight danios, 4 rummy nosed tetras) - I know we have the wrong numbers, but I've not replaced any casualties since the problems started with the old tank as I wasn't sure I wanted to continue with fish!
Used API master kit & parameters all fine a week after set up. Kids wanted to restock quickly, but I wanted to go slowly. We compromised on adding some cherry shrimp as they don't add to the load in the tank. Ordered shrimp on-line for a delivery date of today, and told the kids I'd like to wait at least another week before adding anymore fish.
I've been monitoring the water parameters daily. It's always been around 0-0.25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, and pH 7.4. The pH surprised me as the tank is normally at around 6.6. I expected the nitrates to be higher, but we've a lot more plants now & I'm not sure if they'll take up the nitrates?
Yesterday, I got up and discovered the 2 neons had died in the night. Checked my water and ammonia was at 4ppm. Did a 50% water change and added ammo lock. Did another 50% change this morning as ammonia was at 2ppm and added more ammo lock. Also got some Seachem stability in the hope that this would help. I don't understand why the tank is suddenly (and dramatically) cycling again. I used tetraplant complete substrate under the gravel. Could this be affecting my chemistry?
Is there anything I can do to save the kids cherry shrimps? I've just read on-line that they are very sensitive to ammonia  :(
Thanks
Paula

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New tank problems
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
Hi Paula, sorry your first post has to be a problem.

You say you moved some media when you upgraded - what proportion did you move? The media in the old tank held almost all the bacteria the fish needed, so it you left a lot out at the transfer the bacteria will still be playing catch up.
The dead tetras could have caused the ammonia spike as dead fish decompose pretty quickly to make ammonia. One other thought occurs to me - is it possible the children have been giving extra feeds?

What to do now though is reduce the amount of food you give, even feed just every other day as all the food ends up as ammonia when it's been through the fish. Then you need to be doing large daily water changes till things have sorted themselves. By large, I mean big enough to dilute the ammonia back to below 0.25 - and the same with nitrite if you have a spike of that too. With the 4ppm reading, your 50% water change would only have diluted it to 2ppm. A 90% water change would have got it to 0.4, meaning you would have need to do another 90% an hour later. It is safe to change that much water so long as it is dechlorinated and warmed to the same temperature as the water you take out. The fish may not like it much, but they'll like all that ammonia even less.
Once you've got the ammonia reading back down again, monitor it twice a day and do a water change every time you see a reading above 0.25.
Ammo lock and simlilar products 'detoxify' ammonia for around 24 hours then the effect wears off, so you must do the water changes, you can't rely on the ammo-lock to keep the fish safe.

As for the pH, if the plant substrate was new with the tank, it could be affecting your water chemistry, though I'll leave it to the plant experts to say if the one you have commonly does that.

pmalipha

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
Thanks Sue. Thought the bacteria would be on everything and in the water. Only used a little bit of the media because it was so dirty. God I feel stupid! There's not been any extra feeds as I now keep the food out of reach - my 3 year old decided to feed the fish on his own one day & tipped in a brand new, extra large tub of food. Lost our betta during that episode. I guess the spike is because I've not used enough media and now have to cycle the tank again with the fish in there. I'll check the water again tonight before and after another water change. I'll keep up with the ammo lock to try and save the shrimp.
Thank you!
Paula

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
It's something a lot of people aren't aware of - the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria grow attached to surfaces, preferably surfaces that have a good water flow over them. There are very few bacteria in the water itself. And because the inside of the filter has the best water flow in the tank, bringing food and oxygen, that is where the majority of ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria grow. And the media are designed to have a huge surface area - think of what the surfaces of the bubbles in a sponge would look like it they could be laid out flat  :)

Water changes are your best friend now. You did use some media to seed the new filter, and it's getting the bacteria started in a new filter that's the slowest bit. It shouldn't take nearly as long as cycling from nothing.

But you will have to try to explain to your children that you won't be able to get any more fish till the filter is cycled and settled down. And when you do get more, take it slowly - as you already realise  :)

pmalipha

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
Thanks for your help Sue. Did a big water change last night and another this morning. Now have ammonia sat at  <0.25. I guess it's water changes a plenty from here on in. When we initially cycled our tank it took nearly 4 months (something to do with our soft, acidic water I was told), so here's hoping it's not going to take so long this time!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank problems"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
26 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 12:29:00 PM
by jesnon
34 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 07:00:19 PM
by fruitbat
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 06:41:52 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
by Cod_only_knows
25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2016, 11:48:33 AM
by Fiona
21 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 03:48:00 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: