New Fish Dying

Author Topic: new fish dying  (Read 4942 times) 12 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
new fish dying
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi guys, in the last 2 weeks i have bought new platys from pets at home which i normally buy my fish. the first 2 i bought died within 48 hours, they replaced these and now within 48 hours  1 has died and the other looks to be on his way out. he seems to have no control of where he's going and he's  at the bottom of tank or stuck to the filter.  i have started swim bladder treatment to see if i can rescue him.. 
my other 2 platys and 4 cardinals have been fine..  my test are all zero except ammonia which was .25 which is lowest i can get it due to mains water having ammonia in ..   any ideas why they all seem to be dying, thanks

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: new fish dying
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
The idea of ammonia in  tap water is pretty awful, I'm not sure if it isn't illegal of the water company to supply this.

Have you checked your pH? If it has dropped, it may be that the fish are being affected if they are being moved from a much higher level at the shop to a much lower level in your tank.

Otherwise ................. fish deaths are so difficult to explain without a proper autopsy to show if they were diseased or not. It's like banging your head on a brick wall sometimes.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
hi richard, ammonia level is under .25 from tap wt wierater as its a light green in colour when tested so i know its in there, i clean my fish regular and test regular,. my ph is always low about 6ish but not had probs in past with this.. just weird the new one are dying .. the pet shop even tested water and said it was fine ....  moving them to my 60l tank next week so maybe a bigger tank will be better for them ..

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »
I always think it's unlikely that fish which die suddenly after moving are suffering from a disease. It's much more likely that some water issue is involved. Your water and the shop water might both be fine, but if there is a significant difference between them, that can cause enough stress to kill fish, particularly highly inbred ones like platies which can be rather intrinsically weak.

I'd also quote the following from Seriously Fish about platies :
"As long as the ph remains above neutral this fish is one of the best species available to the beginner"

A pH of 6 is way below neutral, in fact it means your water is 10x more acidic than neutral. Your existing platies may have become adapted, and cardinals would be fine, but it may be that it is just too low for new platies if the fish shop keeps them at higher pH. I'd be interested to know what others think of this idea, which is the best I can come up with.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
The pH is the thing that does jump out, especially as platies ideally prefer hard alkaline water.

Fruitbat, how do you transfer the fish from the bag to your tank or in other words, how do you acclimatise the fish?

And on the subject of ammonia, if you are using the API tester, it is notorious for not being able to read the zero colour. Many people report never getting rid of that green tinge even with tanks that have been running trouble free for many years.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
hi ,when introducing new fish i leave in bag in the new tank for 20 mins then put some tank water in the bag and wait another 20 min then realise using a net,i also keep the lights off for a few hours and then feed the next day..  i have always had low ph ( about 6) .. my ph in tap water is about 6.8 then always goes down to 6 even with crushed coral in the tank.. my ammonia level at water source is up to .25 now, a little worrying.  I'm just re setting up my 60 l tank and ph is still 6.8 and ammonia .25 with no fishes in.. (after 2 days ) just to add to this will bacteria grow due to the ammonia in the tap water  but no fish.    :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
It depends on whether you actually do have a reading for ammonia or whether is it a false reading due to the limitations of the testing kit. If the ammonia reading never drops below 0.25, that does suggest you are getting a false reading - this is more common than you'd think.
In which case you do need to add ammonia. Even if you had 0.25 ppm in your water that would not grow very many bacteria.

With your low pH, you might try drip acclimatisation next time. Empty the bag of water and fish into a bucket. Using a length of airline tubing, tie a lose knot in it then start siphoning water from the tank to the bucket, tightening the knot to give a flow rate of a few drops per minute. At this time of year you might need to put a heater into the bucket as well. Once the volume of water in the bucket has tripled, net the fish from the bucket into the tank.
This method changes the pH (and hardness and anything else in the shop water) very slowly giving the fish time to adjust.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
ok  thanks, i will try this method next time i buy some fish,  by the way thanks for all your advice this year ,its been a trying one in my first fish keeping year . i should be better prepared this time .. happy new year    :cheers:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »
So I'm going to be the second person this week to disagree with Sue  :)
The evidence is that fish can only adjust very slowly to water parameters such as pH, hardness and concentrations of nitrate etc., so that slow mixing of water e.g. by the drip method is a waste of time.

In fact the ThinkFish article on introducing fish is spot on, as usual, and says :

Myth buster
"Adding tank water to the bag of new fish every few minutes will help acclimatise them. If you are acclimatising freshwater fish the only parameter that can be equalised in a short period of time is temperature, which is best done by floating the fish for 15-20 minutes. Fish may take days or even weeks to fully adjust to changes in pH, hardness and water pollutants, so mixing will not help, and may even further stress the fish during their temperature acclimation."

I also disagree  with the usual idea of equalising the temperatures by floating the bag in the tank, then pouring the fish and their water into the tank. Doing this you may be adding pathogens to your tank, not to mention an extra dose of ammonia.  I equalise the temperatures, then pour the water out through a net to catch the fish so that only the fish and a tiny amount of their water goes into the tank. This is not my idea, of course, many sources suggest the same.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
Interesting. Most people who acclimatise fish from very different water to their tank swear by the drip method over the adding a cupful of water to the bag method. The drip method usually takes quite a few hours when done correctly.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Neither the drip method nor adding a cup of water is any use. A fish's physiology is simply incapable of adapting over an hour or so, it takes days or weeks.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm with Richard on this one. I get the temperature sorted then pull them out by hand and drop them in.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
So I can stop adding a bit of water to the bag for an hour or so. That'll save some work  ;D

Tags: sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "new fish dying"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
17 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 08:53:30 PM
by Cinders
10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
by pollydoodle
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2019, 09:42:26 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 07:37:02 PM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: