Neon Tetra Seems To Have A Growth

Author Topic: Neon tetra seems to have a growth  (Read 5426 times) 10 replies

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
Neon tetra seems to have a growth
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello. Does anyone know what this little growth is near one of my neon's anal fin?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
Re: Neon tetra seems to have a growth
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
Another pic

Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Oops that was the same one....

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
This neon is a bit fatter than my other neons, I was thinking pregnant but they are not in the right conditions for that to have occurred. It seems to be sitting under a bridge not doing much with the rest of the neons, I cleaned the tank this morning and they got a bit jittery. I hope it hasn't injured itself!!??

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at  :-\

Where abouts is the growth, on it's back or side or underneath? The only thing I can see on top is the adipose fin (the tiny fin between the big dorsal fin and the tail in some species of tetra). These are usually colourless but in some fish they are white. My green neons are like that, just one has a white adipose fin, the others are clear.
If the growth is on the side or underneath, I can't make it out in the photos......

Females are fatter than males, and the stripe is often wiggly rather than straight. Over-eating is another cause. Or if the scales are sticking out like a pine cone, that's dropsy.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
It looks like a small fatty lump on the under side, it's hard to see in a picture as it's obviously 2d. It's not thin like a fin, it's as wide as it is long in the picture. It's looks like it's slightly off to the left hand side as you look at it from the back.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Ahh I can see it now  :D

It doesn't look very nice, does it. I don't know what it is I'm afraid.

I know that neon tetras get pointed lumps when they have neon tetra disease, but they get other symptoms too. Red area looks washed out; blue area goes yellowish; a black line develops round the tail; fish gets restless and leaves shoal; swims oddly.

Does the fish show any of those?

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
It doesn't have any of the colour changes you mention. But it has been sitting under a bridge while the rest of the shoal do their own thing and joining them occasionally. When it swims it seems to swim ok.

I'll keep and eye on it, and update any changes over the next day or so. Thanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
Keep a good eye on this fish. If it does turn out to have NTD, you'll need to euthanase it before it can pass the disease to the other neons because it is incurable. Your other fish would be OK as they don't catch it.
Hopefully, it won't be NTD.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Can a fish prolapse?!?

The growth seems to be going down, I've checked for any changes in colour but all seems normal. The rest of them all seems normal as well.  The one with the growth is also back swimming with the shoal again, I don't know what's been up with it!!

The only thing I could think of was a prolapse, but I didn't know if that could happen to a fish!?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »
Prolapses usually happen to livebearers rather than eggs layers, though I suppose it's possible to have a prolapsed bowel. It's not something I've come across before.
It a good sign that the affected one is back with the shoal.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Neon tetra seems to have a growth"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Black Neon Tetra

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
by water watcher
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 11:08:35 AM
by Snoopy27
17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish
20 Replies
Last post September 25, 2020, 06:12:51 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: