My L210 Pleco, White Ball Of Fluff, Not Sure If It's Fungus?

Author Topic: My L210 pleco, white ball of fluff, not sure if it's fungus?  (Read 4673 times) 2 replies

Offline FishFan

• Fish Fry
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

Must have spoke to soon but here it goes, I got a female L210 pleco and the day she was delviered last Friday I noticed a white spot on the end of her fin, she does have white spots but obviously these are how this pleco looks but this one looked different as in slightly raised.

I have Waterlife products range Myxazin, Sterazin, Protozin.

I have been treating the tank with Waterlifie Protozin which says it treats White Spot & Fungus and the site also says:

PROTOZIN is used for the control of all protozoan and fungal infections e.g Whitespot, Fungus, Neon Tetra Disease, Velvet, Costiasis and Trichodiniasis. You will require 4 separate applications to complete the course of treatment. By adding the treatment on days 1, 2 and 3 the product safely compounds in strength and does not burden the already stressed animals with a hard hitting formula. The final dose on day 6 is a preventative measure to try and ensure the organism does not re-occur. PROTOZIN's properties are highly effective at treating all its target organisms. Protozin is our best selling disease treatment world wide.

It says to treat on days 1,2,3 and 6. It's been day 3 today and to me it appears to have got a little bigger and not sure if the medication is helping it. It's like a white ball on tip of side fin and looks a little fluffy like fungus.

After further reading I see many people use instead of fungus treatment an antibacterial treatment like Waterlife Myxazin, I have this to but it states cannot be used until i think it said 3-4 days after using Protozin.

I have tried to take some photos please see below, is this a fungus? I'm treating with Protozin which is suppose to be for fungus and other things, but I also have been reading and manytimes it is actually more bacterial and people treat with a antibacterial medication.

Any help appreciated as don't want to loose her. My water parameters are stable, i've been doing about 20% water changes each day for past 3 days and gravel vac and to replemish the water with fresh water to keep things as clean as possible alhough i do weekly maintenance and weekly water changes. My tank has been cycled for nearly a year and is still stable as ever.

pH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-5, Phostates 0, Gh and Kh not tested but got them both... but tbh my tank has been stable and I do test twice every week before and after water changes.

She obviously came with it unfortunately.

Thanks

Clicking on images will enlarge.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Otocinclus (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (3) - Otocinclus (11) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Threadfin Rainbowfish (8) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Kribensis (2) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (4) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Rosy Barb (6) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My L210 pleco, white ball of fluff, not sure if it's fungus?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:19:53 PM »
It is always hard to diagnose accurately  :-\

But the thing called fungus is often a bacterial infection so that's why you need Myxazin rather than Protozin.

That waiting a few days is if you don't do anything to remove the first medication. The quickest thing would be to do a water change to remove a chunk of Protozin, then run carbon in the filter for 24 hours to remove the rest before adding some Myxazin.

Fungus and finrot are usually caused by poor water conditions. But as this fish already had it before she went in you tank, that suggests it was the seller's tank that had the problem, or possibly damage during netting/transport.

Offline FishFan

• Fish Fry
Re: My L210 pleco, white ball of fluff, not sure if it's fungus?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
Thanks Sue,

Yeah I think i'll have to go with large water change and put some carbon in for 24hr then dose with Myxazin as you suggested as i'm sure it's not getting better and slightly worse as at first a few days back it looked flat like a normal spot on her skin but has got bigger since so hopefully Myxazin will sort it.

Yeah my water quality is great tbh, I do weekly maintenance, water changes, gravel vac, filter check, slight clean if filter needs it etc.

Thanks hoping she recovers, will keep this updated and hopefully soon all will be ok. My new tank is coming tomorrow will have to hold off now for a couple of weeks by looks of it as that will be somewha stressful.

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Otocinclus (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (3) - Otocinclus (11) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Threadfin Rainbowfish (8) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Kribensis (2) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (4) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Rosy Barb (6) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My L210 pleco, white ball of fluff, not sure if it's fungus?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 12:03:56 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 01:12:19 PM
by Extreme_One
12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 06:34:45 PM
by animal_freeride
4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:03:33 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2023, 08:29:21 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: