Author Topic: My Fish are Dying!  (Read 5121 times) 13 replies

Offline BreatGritain

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
My Fish are Dying!
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Sorry to join and immediately ask for help - but i'm pretty desperate.

I have a planted fish tank, home to Male Guppies, Neon Tetras, and Mollies, which has been running for around 5 month with no major issues.

On Sunday I bought some new fish from a petshop I had never used before, I bought 3 more male guppies and an Albino Plec (I had heard they're good for the algae)

I also bought a couple of rocks to help give them somewhere to hide.

I got them home, let the new fish float, washed the rocks, put them in, mixed the water with the bagged new fish etc.

As soon as one of the new guppies was out of the bag it was clear it was not well. He could barely move and (forgive my ignorance with terminology...) could not propel himself with his rear fin - almost as if he was paralised. He otherwise looked healthy, very colourful, no white spots, no red gills, fins in good condition.

The other fish saw he couldn't defend himself and had a couple of bites - I couldn't bare to let it happen so I seperated him into a sandwhich bag (it's all I could find) and left him in the top of the tank. He dies about 30 mins later.

The next day one of the other new guppies was found dead at the bottom of the tank - no obvious reasons why, again the fins look ok, no spots, no sore gills.

On Tuesday I checked the fish and was horrified to see two Neons and a Guppie (not a new one) had all died,  and yet again I couldn't see why. Realising this could no longer possibily be a coincidence I took a water sample down to the pet shop, (they use a four-test-tube kit) and they said there is nothing wrong with the water at all - which agree's with the tests I do weekly at home (strip-style).

Woke up this morning to find two more dead Tetras... Went to work and come back to find another neon that looks like it is fighting for life, and my two other remaining neons are looking pale and their fins are almost looking a bit... flakey? - But this hasn't been visable on any of the other casualties.

I've done a 25% water change and I've found a tiny snail stuck to the glass. How the hell did that get in? Could that be an issue?

The Albino Plec has settled in great. He doesn't do much. But he seems happy just relaxing.

Has anyone got any ideas? I have no idea what else to do.

Thank you,
Tom

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: My Fish are Dying!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Hi Tom,

That sounds really horrid, losing all those fish so quickly.

I am new to fish keeping so am probably not the best qualified to help but I would suspect that the new fish you introduced have bought in a disease with them. Are the rest of the fish showing any signs of ill health before they die? fin tucking, hanging at the surface/sitting on the bottom, gasping or breathing quickly, flicking or shimmying (scratching on ornaments or swimming on the spot or just doing erratic swimming)? are they eating normally?   

If any of the above behaviours are apparent then it could be a parasite of some sort, possibly internal if you can't see anything obvious on the outside of the fish. Although they would probably not be affected this quickly with parasites.  I have just lost two platies showing these symptoms and treated with waterlife Parazin. Everyone in my tank is now fine again.

Alternatively it could be a bacterial infection. You need to get treatment ASAP but as we don't know 100% what it is yet you will need to wait for a reply from someone with more knowledge than me I'm afraid.

You could try going back to the shop where you got the new fish and asking them if they have detected anything with the rest of that batch.

The snail may have come in on a plant. If it is unwanted then squash it, the fish may eat it or just dispose of it another way (the bin!) as it may also carry diseases, although I would say it is unlikely to be the cause of your latest deaths.

I hope this gives you some help and hopefully one of the gang will help you out soon.

Sorry I can't be of more use.

FC

Offline BreatGritain

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »
Hi FC,

Thank you for the reply.

I was thinking that the fish I introduced must have been dieseased because I can't see it being anything else.

At the moment, most of the survivors are either hanging around the very top or very bottom of the tank, they just don't seem to be happy.

The only fish that look fine are the Mollies and the Plec, swimming around happy as anything.

Their last feed a couple of hour ago about 5 or 6 fish didn't eat anything, they showed no interest whatsoever.

I just don't know what to try.

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
Hi FC,

Sorry to hear about your fish - it sounds awful. I'm a complete beginner at this, so can offer no real advice, though I' sure one of the experienced forum members will get in touch soon.
In the meantime, if you go onto the 'Emergency room' section of the forum there are all sorts of problems and solutions that other members have logged. One of these just might give you some clue as to what's going on?
Diz1

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Hi Tom,

I've been looking through my fishlopedia (useful book called Tropical Fishlopedia - complete guide to fish care by Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess) for possible causes for your fish deaths and have come up with one possibility - guppy disease.

The book says that it is caused by a protozoan and mainly affects guppies but can spread to other livebearers and even other species of fish. signs are small white patches commonly around the eyes on guppies, bristling and protruding scales and it occasionally effects the musculature and internal organs. The disease is rapidly fatal. Treatment is via anti-protozoan treatment but serious attacks are generally incurable.

This could explain why you have lost so many fish so quickly? Maybe just check the fish for the white patches around the eyes to be sure?? Definitely research some more before you do anything though.

Surface hanging is common in ill fish - it can be due to hypoxia (lack of oxygen) and they go to the top where there is the most oxygen available. Make sure your filter flow agitates the surface of the water as this increases oxygen in the water.  Also high temperatures can reduce oxygen so perhaps lower the tank temp to the lowest your fish can tolerate (see fish profiles for acceptable ranges).

Sitting on the bottom is also a common 'ill fish' thing as is lack of appetite.

I hope someone with more knowledge gives you some advice soon and hope you find a solution.

Best wishes,

FC

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:56:49 AM »
Hi Tom

I Had a similar problem too with the Guppy's. Bought 6. 3 dyed in as many days about 2 weeks later. 2 stayed on the surface and one on the bottom no signs of discolour etc. They just lost the will to live and dyed. I asked for advice on this forum as to possible cause. Guppy's apparently are the weakest when it comes to the stress of transfer from shop to tank. So no other real cause just one of those things. The 6 Tetra's and the 3 Guppy's are doing very well. Whether you were just unlucky with possibly a diseased fish.

Have to say one thing though the advice given to me from the shop on tank keeping maintenance differs greatly from this forum. Ask the question on this forum you wont go far wrong.  ;)   

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
Guppies are weak fish nowadays, but the fact that other species are affected makes it sound more than this tendency guppies have to just die.

I would treat the tank with something like eSHa 2000 or Myxazin by Waterlife. They are the best two meds on the UK market for infections. If a shop tries to sell you melafix, don't bother. That's more akin to putting dettol on a cut - good for stopping infections getting in but useless once an infection has taken hold.

The snail is probably just coincidence. You are studying the tank more than usual and have just seen it though it might well have been there a while. Wild caught snails could well carry a disease but the ones that find their way into tanks usually come in with plants grown in 'factories' for the aquarium trade.

And fish will pick on a sick fish, I'm afraid. It's an instinctive reaction. Sick fish attract predators as they are easier to catch. The rest of them don't want a predator around so they kill the sick fish before it is spotted.

Offline BreatGritain

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
Hi,

Will have a read up on the Guppy diesease now, cheers FC.

Thank you for the info Sue,

I've been a bit nervous about putting medicines into the tank without fully knowing what the cause is, but it's getting to the point where i'm running out of options. If I did put eSHa 2000 or Myxazin into the tank and the fish had something these products could not treat, could it make the situation worse?

Thank you,
Tom

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Hi Tom,

I have just treated my tank with waterlife Parazin without knowing the exact cause of the problem but suspecting internal parasites and my fish are doing fine now, although still showing some symptoms of ill health.  I don't think it will do any harm, if your not treating what is wrong with the fish I suspect that the meds just have no effect but no damage is done.

The eSHa 2000 looks like good stuff and I would use that as it treats 18 different diseases so you have a fairly good chance of it doing some good!!

FC

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
Those meds shouldn't make the fish worse. The worst they'll do is nothing. But if you have inverts (snails, shrimps) they would be adversely affected.

Offline BreatGritain

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Just a quick update,

eSHa 2000 arrived today - following the instructions I have put double the standard dose for "Very Ill Fish".

Will have to see how it goes.

I've lost more fish, It's at the point that I have lost count. Since my last post my entire Tetra population has gone - Neons & Penguins. And now it appears to have spread to my mollies, who had all been looking perfectly healthy until today. I found one of my mollies swimming upside down and falling to the bottom of the tank. I seperated him into a sandwhich bag (Again, it's all I had), and after a while he laid upside down at the bottom of the bag breathing hevily (there is deffinately plenty of air in the water) - I assumed I would lose him any second. When the eSHA arrived I put a drop in his bag, and within a few seconds he was up and swimming - badly albeit. He keeps resting upside down, having a swim, resting upside down.

He's got a hard fight ahead which he probably still won't make, but after seeing this I'm fairly certain that 2000 stuff can cure whatever diesease in in the tank.

Wish me luck!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Hi Tom,

Best of luck with your fish. I hope the rest make it!!

Just in case you ever need to' help' a fish on its way the most humane way (and least gruesome!) is to use Clove oil as described by Sue in this quote from another thread - hope you don't mind me quoting you Sue!!

Clove oil, sold at chemist shops (old remedy for toothache). Put the fish in a tub of tank water. Find a screw top bottle/jar, add 20 to 30 drops of clove oil (depending on how big the tub is, and how much water is in there) and a bit of water then shake until the oil emulsifies. Pour slowly into the tub with the fish and leave it a few hours. If you take the body out too soon there is the risk the fish is just unconscious. Waiting the few hours ensures it is dead before disposing of the body.
Clove oil stinks. You won't be able to use the tub or bottle for anything else. And I keep a pair of rubber gloves for this as it takes ages for the smell to wash out of your skin.

Let us know how things go!!

FC

Offline BreatGritain

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
Hi all.

The molly didn't make it.

I invested in some clove oil - but thankfully haven't had to use it.

When the outbreak began, I was seeing 2-4 deaths per day.

Since putting eSHa in the tank, today is day 3 without a death.

Thank you for the advice!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My Fish are Dying!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
17 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 08:53:30 PM
by Cinders
10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
by pollydoodle
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2019, 09:42:26 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 07:37:02 PM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: