Multiple Diseases

Author Topic: multiple diseases  (Read 6221 times) 18 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
multiple diseases
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi, i have come back after 12 nights away and family looking after my fish.. 2 had died and others looked ok..   2 days later harlequins have white spot, platys had what looked like fungus and now my cardinals have no tails and look poorly, i treated the tank with anti fungus and fin rot on saturday now i think its maybe a bit of all sorts.  i have put 2 harlequins in isolation and treated with white spot, is there anything else i could do and is multiple diseases possible like this .. thanks

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: multiple diseases
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
Do a very large water change if you haven't already done so.

But I doubt if the prospects are good, fish rarely seem to recover when symptoms have gone this far.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
hi, i have done 2  x 30 % water changes in 2 days but not sure if this will effect the anti fungus medicine i have put in already,

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
Ah Fruitbat, I'm sorry for your loss.

I did reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared or perhaps I forgot to post it.

I hope you get it sorted soon.  It's horrible when our fish become poorly and/or die.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
thanks sanjo, i had it last year too, lost all but 3 !! it seems to be when i go away, i have 2 people who pop in every other day but they don't really know what to look out for, just feed and test water with test strips and one of them does a water change,but saying that the water quality was pretty good except for highish amonia but as i have low ph it doesn't seem to affect them .  hopefully i can save these but only time will tell .. :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
When you do a water change, add enough of the med to dose the new water volume.

Have you ever watched any of the helpers doing a water change on your tank? I wonder if they are doing something they shouldn't. Eg forgetting dechlorinator, adding a lot of very cold water and not turning the heater back on till they remember a couple of days later etc.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
hi, yes i taught her how to do it , but i think she prob rushes it or something even after i have told her but its better than leaving them alone for a fortnight.. they seemed fine when i first got back then i noticed white stuff on them and i lost two platys the next day!! now 2 cardinals have gone with half their tail missing :-( . i have now isolated my 4 harlequins with white spot to another tank and dosed in anti white spot so hopefully they will be ok .. do you suggest i clean both tasks whilst having treatment ..

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »
You need to clean both tanks as water quality is one of the major causes of fish health problems. This is why I asked if the person looking after your fish knew what they were supposed to do.

With meds that are dosed every day, do the water change then add the med.
With those that are not dosed every day, do the water change then add the dose on dose days; on non-dose days just add the amount of med to treat the volume of new water - ie to replace the med you just took out.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
ok will do this but things are looking grim at the moment. hopefully they will pull through by the end of the week.. thanks

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »
hi, i think i have a problem with my mains water as it smells , it tests ok but maybe it has something in that my fishes don't like..  if i bought some still water and warmed it up that would be ok to use , 

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
Provided you did small water changes every day it would be OK. You have to use it slowly as it will be very different in pH, hardness and mineral content from the water in the tank and too much at one go would shock the fish. The same applies to returning to tap water when it is OK.

How does it smell, lots of chlorine or something else?

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:05 PM »
hi, it smell off !!  no particular smell it just smells, not chlorine , maybe a hint of ammonia or drainy   i have put some water from my fridge which goes through a filter and left it overnight in a bucket ( thought this would be better) as this is normal tap water and hopefully this will be better, this should be ok shouldn't it

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
i have put some water from my fridge which goes through a filter

What kind of filter?

I have a Brita jug with filter and I know what that filter does to tap water - it lowers GH and KH and drops the pH from 7.5 to off the bottom of the scale, ie below 6. If your filter is similar, I wouldn't use it in a fish tank.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
hi, not sure what filter is but checked ph and gh and kh etc against normal tap water and the same, I'm hoping it will filter out whatever is making it smell..would you try this or stick to normal water and do small water changes

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
If the filtered water has the same parameters as the tap water, use the filtered water but to be on the safe side I would do a small water change every day just in case something we can't test for is different.

And maybe contact the water company about the smell. It can't be good for human consumption if it smells as bad as you say.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
hi, will do..  water doesn't smell bad just it has a smell when it shouldn't... I'm looking for reasons why my fish are getting sick but it won't hurt to ask them ..  thanks sue 

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
Sue, I thought that filtered tap-water was bad. Doesn't the softeners that are often built into these sort of filters work by substituting sodium for the calcium and/or magnesium in the carbonates present in hard water?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »
There is more than one type of filter. The most common one, as you say, replaces calcium & magnesium with sodium. But if fruitbat's GH is the same in both freshly drawn tap water and filtered water, it can't be that type or the GH would drop as the tester measures only divalent metal ions such as calcium and magnesium. Sodium in monovalent and won't show up in the GH test.

The Brita style filters exchange calcium and magnesium ions for hydrogen ions. With this type, GH falls as Ca2+ and Mg2+ are removed, and the pH plummets as H+ is greatly increased. The filter in question can't be this type as the pH would have dropped dramatically and fruitbat report no change.

There are other types of water filter, though, and this is why I suggested daily small water changes, the same as for bottled water. And it will need more small daily water changes as fruitbat goes back to tap water. By small I mean 10% or less.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
hi guys, i can comfirm the water tests were the same for filtered and tap but unfortunately all my fish in the isolation tank died , but the others which i put the filtered water in to also are doing fine. i only have 5 rummy noes tetras now so i m going to turn the  temp  isolation tank (30l) in to a normal one and try cycle it with out fish, if this works i will do same with my  bigger tank..  sad as it is losing fish is all part of the learning curve.  thanks again for your advice guys  :fishy1:

Tags: sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "multiple diseases "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
by Sue
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
by Mad_BMS
4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 05:04:58 AM
by brian c
2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 12:55:52 PM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 04:22:37 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: