Julii Cory Terribly Ill

Author Topic: Julii Cory terribly ill  (Read 5214 times) 2 replies

mleczka

Julii Cory terribly ill
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:51 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Everyone!
New here, as well as to online forums, so forgive me if I don't really know how this all works. 
I've had a 10 gal aquarium since about March of this year and have had for the most of that time a male betta, 3 corydoras (julii, metae, paleatus) and as of a couple of months ago a Bolivian ram and a rainbow praecox, who I took from a friend's tank as they were being bullied.  I recently added an emerald cory.  I know it's pretty stocked, but I've been very vigilant about weekly water changes, and I love corys and couldn't help it...Oh, almost forgot, I have a lot of snails; it started with a stowaway who I just left alone and things seemed to be going swimmingly, until it got out of control.  Snails everywhere, along with slime coating the plants and wood.  I pulled out most of the plants except for the broader leafed ones which could be wiped off with a paper towel. The snail problem is getting under control, most winding up as dinner in my friend's cichlid tank, the conical ones hiding in the gravel during the day staying clear of the assassin snails I got to help take care of the problem...whew....ok
So my problem is that I noticed on Sunday after do a partial water change that the Julii cory was swimming oddly, in all directions and seemed to lack control then falling to the bottom and lying on her side with labored breathing.  She also has barely any barbels, pretty much none to speak of since I've had her, but has always seemd happy and healthy.  Beginning to wonder about the metae cory, who I don't see much of anymore since I made a little hollow beneath one of the rocks.  Is that normal??  The others swim like mad!

Anyway, Water params before change:  pH 7.4, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40ppm (i've had an awful time with nitrates; stabilized after the nitrate spike after tank set up.  I think it started after I pulled out a lot of the plants) water temp 76F (check regularly)
Winken, the julii, has been just lying ever since, moving to different locations from time to time.   I think I made a hasty mistake, though, taking the advice from the manager at my local pet/fish store.  I go there regularly and know the manager and she seems to know a lot about fish, so I figured why not.  I was going to buy melafix at recommendation of a friend but I saw the erythromycin em which seemed to be useful in treating various infections.  After some hesitation, I put the packet of meds in the tank, hoping for the best, then started to wonder if I was jumping the gun.  I don't generally take antibiotics myself. 
Now I'm beginning to wonder if it was an illness that was caused by an infection induced by the eroded barbels???
 Have I compromised my tank by adding antibiotics needlessly, as there seems to be no improvement, and I'm basically killing off all the nitrifying bacteria and submitting the other fish to a course of antibiotics they might not need but has to be finished.....uugh.  Also, should I add even more sand to the aquarium?  Right now it's sand and the smallish round black rocks you get at aquarium shops.  The others' barbels seem to be fine, though I need to check the metae to be certain.

Oh, my.  I'm sorry to have babbled soo much.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Stephen

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Julii Cory terribly ill
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
Hi, I'm sorry your first post has to be with a problem.

The first thing to say is that as you are aware, you are rather overstocked. It is always difficult to say no when someone else want to get rid of fish  :)

How much do you feed the fish? I ask because of your snail problem, and the main cause of snail population explosions is overfeeding. With cories living on the bottom, they are very close to any decomposing food. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but if you could estimate the amount of food equal to one eye per fish that's the amount to feed. A fish's stomach is about the same size as its eye.

What do you have on the bottom of the tank? Rough gravel or sand can cut the mouths of cories and wear away their barbels, and allow infections to get in easier. If your substrate is rough, can I suggest changing it for either smooth gravel or better still sand.

As for what to do, I'm not sure. Because we can't get antibiotics in the UK without a vet's prescription we aren't used to dealing with them. I think some of them do afffect the filter bacteria, the way to find out is by daily measuring of the ammonia and nitrite levels. If either of them show up, at least you'll know and be ready to water changes to keep the below 0.25. If the antibiotic doesn't work, there is nothing stronger so you may have to prepare yourself for the worst.

I know you don't want to hear this at the moment, but you should really think about your fish tank stocking. 10 galls is not big enough for the all the fish in there, and only the betta will be OK long term. All the other fish need to be in a bigger tank. The cories need to be in a group of six or more of the same species, not one of each species. And the rainbowfish also needs to be in a shoal.
Did you know that your emerald cory is actually a brochis? It's another shoaling fish which grows to 3 inches.
Once the cory problem is sorted one way or another, can I suggest you either rehome most of your fish, or get a bigger tank and increase the shoal numbers of the cories and brochis. You can have cories in your 10 gall, one of the dwarf species. That's Corydoras pygmaeus (pygmy cory), C. hastatus or C. habrosus. These all stay at around an inch. I have a shoal of pygmy cories in my 50 litre tank with a betta and some endler females.

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
Re: Julii Cory terribly ill
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
Have you seen any problems with any of your other fish?? If the rest of your stock is fine it may just be that this sick fish was naturally weak or could be seeing the effects of old age or has had an injury.

Personally i wouldn't add any chemicals to my tank unless i was sure i had an underlying problem and was 100% certain i knew what it was.

I can understand why you like corrys they look great together huddled on the bottom of a tank.  your assasins will get there in the end with your snails just give them time but definately take note of sues advice on feeding.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Julii Cory terribly ill"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:20:34 PM
by Fishywishy
5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 08:04:16 PM
by Andy M
14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 08:37:27 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 08:12:38 AM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 05:34:26 PM
by biffster
12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 10:43:09 AM
by Aquamaid
5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: