Huge Spike In Ammonia, Nitrite And Nitrate!!!!!

Author Topic: Huge spike in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate!!!!!  (Read 4739 times) 7 replies

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Huge spike in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate!!!!!
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,
We are having a crisis with my Jewel Rio 180 fresh water tropical tank, we did an overhaul on this tank around 5 weeks ago, changing the gravel for sand removing and replacing all decor and plants due to an infestation of black beard algae.
We worked hard to make sure all the fish were ok, and dosed the tank in live bacteria. Monitoring the levels regularly to ensure the fish were safe.
Last night I did a water change as normal using water conditioner, and this morning I have dead fish and readings of
8.0ppm of ammonia,
0.25ppm of nitrite,
40ppm of nitrate,
All I did was use the siphon as normal to hoover the sand, clean the glass and replace the water after conditioning it, I really don't understand!?!?!?!?
Could it be the sand? I have never had sand in this tank before, it was good aquarium sand bought from our local retailer, but this toxicity seems to have happened after agitating the sand cleaning it?
Luckily we have a 130lt tank that my surviving corys and loaches have been moved into, but all their barbels have been burnt off, and one cory has since died.
I am going to take the plants out of the big tank tonight and wash the sand as it's the only thing I can think to do?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Huge spike in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »
When did you last test the water before yesterday? 8 ppm is a huge amount of ammonia, and if the tester is like mine and only goes up to 8, it could have been higher. A tank full of fish will make less than 3 ppm in 24 hours. And it is too quick for dead fish to make that amount.

I'm not sure the sand is to blame if it has been in there 5 weeks. What brand was it?

How deep is the sand? Gas pockets usually form only in deep sand.
Would you consider getting Malaysian trumpet snails, they live in the substrate during the day and aerate it well.

Did you touch the filter during the water change?

Have you added any new fish since you redid the tank?

Silly question but are you absolutely sure it was dechlorinator you used not another bottle in the cupboard?

Do you use air fresheners, or did anyone use an aerosol in the room yesterday?

One other thing that does occur to me and that is to contact the water company to see if they did something to the water supply yesterday. I was once told by a shop that a lot of his customers had fish die when they did a water change on a Saturday. One customer contacted the water company and was told it was because they flush lime through the system on Saturdays. (Though why they'd want to flush lime I don't know, though it could have been something to remove lime, it was a third hand comment). I've also read that in the USA they use extra chlorine/chloramine after heavy rain. So water companies do sometimes do things to the water which can affect fish.

You could try washing the sand. As it has been in there only 5 weeks it won't have much biofilm and bacteria on it yet. I would also do a water change to get the ammonia level down to 3 or 4 ppm. Then I would leave it fishless and monitor the water. That will tell you if it is a problem with the filter. Since you have live plants, they will help too.

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »
We are going to wash the sand again starting tonight, thanks for the reply Sue, it was water conditioner that I used, checked that myself lol, sadly it looks like we will loose more fish, but will save as many as possible, will just cycle the big tank before putting any of them back in there, I am also going to change some of my external filer sponges and work at getting the tank back to health.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »
I do understand what it is like. I have twice got up to find a tank full of dead fish (about 16 and 14 years ago). I think that not knowing what happened makes things worse. I restocked on both occasions. The first time the fish were healthy for a couple of years and it never happened again after the second time.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »
So sorry to hear about your problems with your tank and the loss of some of your fish.
I hope that the rest of your fish are ok and wish you all the best with resolving the tank issues and getting everything back to normal.
It's very frustrating not to be able to find the cause of a problem. I've not got to the bottom of a spate of tiger barbs passing away recently, and it can cause some concern that it will happen again if you don't know what has caused it.
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »
Very sorry to read of this; if I were you, I'd have to get to the bottom of the ammonia spike, so definitely contact the water company as Sue suggests.

Other thoughts - which I'm sure you've already considered - are:
* change in feeding habits - have you been feeding more lately, and have you watched to ensure the fish have been eating the food (eg it's possible that the stress of the change of tank decor may have reduced their appetites and that the food has gone uneaten and decomposed)
* did any fish go missing recently and which may have decomposed into the gravel which then got disturbed during the substrate change and still be in there?
* is the filter functioning properly or is the flow weaker and it clogged up or the impellor stuck?
* what is the live bacteria which you mentioned dosing the tank with?
* the water conditioner - is it definitely a dechlorinator?

It's just struck me that I have some Seachem AmGuard from my goldfish-keeping days which I'd completely forgotten about. I'm wondering if that would be of help to you? @Sue might know better. [I'm guessing that, having not been touched for 3+ years, and possibly as long ago as 6 years, it probably wouldn't be of any use for me to send you some of it in the mail and that I should maybe just bin it? Thoughts welcome.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »
With an ammonia of 8 ppm, I'm not sure any ammonia detoxifier would get all of it. This is such a huge amount of ammonia that something must have caused it. Assuming the ammonia was zero before the water change, even an overstocked tank would not produce that much ammonia overnight if the filter had ceased functioning completely. And I don't think a dead fish could decompose fast enough to make that ammonia overnight.

It's the scale of it that has me stumped  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
Still playing on my mind as to what could have caused your ammonia spike. Is there any possibility that someone could have spilled anything into the tank, such as a guest setting down a glass of alcohol during a party, a mischievous or well-meaning child, or anyone being over-exuberant with cleaning the house?

[As I write this, I've suddenly recalled that my goldfish used to freak out on the rare occasion that we used to burn a candle - I always assumed that the flicker of the flame disconcerted him but now I wonder if it was the scent from the candle that perturbed him and whether that might have upset the water quality. We don't tend to burn candles anymore - and I realise it would probably be unwise to burn the scented ones with fish around.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Huge spike in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate!!!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 07:18:06 PM
by evan47
18 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 10:17:54 AM
by Fiona
11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 03:04:41 PM
by Cora
8 Replies
Last post October 22, 2016, 08:34:56 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: