Help Please, Fishies Not Looking Very Happy And Lost 2 Rummies Today

Author Topic: Help please, fishies not looking very happy and lost 2 rummies today  (Read 3013 times) 1 replies

Offline Zo75

• Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

In need of some advice please. All my fishies (with exception of Betta) are 'hanging about' in the bottom right hand corner of the tank. We upgraded our tank using all old media/gravel, ornaments etc from old tank and they have all been very happy for just over a week.  A couple of days ago we changed the filter to a Fluval U4 and replaced the carbon pieces with all the old media from our old filter. Today I have lost two rummy nose tetras today, the other rummies and other fish are all looking pale nosed and hanging about rather than their usual racing along the back wall. All other fish hanging around in the same corner as the rummy noses (which is same corner as the filter). Did a water change today as I thought a detected a very tiny amount of ammonia (somewhere between 0 and 0.25, it had the slightest hint of green in the tube). Just tested water again and it's Amm 0, Nitri 0, Nitra 5-10. Which is what it always is. Any ideas why my fishies aren't looking too happy?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help please, fishies not looking very happy and lost 2 rummies today
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The filter bacteria do grow on all other surfaces in the tank, they just grow more in filter. There would have been some on the surface of the old tank itself. Not many, but enough to take things carefully after the change. The bacteria on the decor have gone into the new tank, so you didn't lose those; but since the substrate would have been churned up, the bacteria in the surface layers may well be underneath now, so some out of action there too. In total, you will have lost some bacteria during the tank change, but only a small proportion of the total; the numbers would have caught up quickly.
You say you put the old media into the new filter - good. But the old filter casing would have had some bacteria on it as well. Again, the numbers would have been made up quickly.

But the trace of ammonia you detected could well be a result of the tank and filter changes. It's called a mini-cycle and is usually over very quickly. For the next few days, feed the fish less than you usually do. Less food in means less ammonia made to stress the filter. Then increase slowly over a few days to the usual amount. And monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels a few times a day till you are sure the spike is over. I would also do a few extra water changes too.

Rummy noses are among the more sensitive tetra species. They will be the first fish to succumb to anything iffy in the water. Keep a special eye on them and do a water change if they look as though they are suffering.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help please, fishies not looking very happy and lost 2 rummies today"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 05:43:47 PM
by shivyDevon
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 09:39:51 PM
by Anne
13 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 05:23:09 PM
by fruitbat
21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 04:42:12 PM
by AdyDnt
6 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 02:27:00 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 09:39:57 PM
by Lynne W
22 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 08:11:59 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: