HELP -Beginner - Fish Swimming At Top!

Author Topic: HELP -Beginner - fish swimming at top!  (Read 3934 times) 3 replies

Offline akirkland

HELP -Beginner - fish swimming at top!
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
  Have a 20L tank, prepared it and cycled for a week, tested water Wed and all good.Put fish in yesterday - 3 golden cloud minnows and 1 shrimp. All fine yesterday but today the 3 fish are swimming at top of tank? Have a Stingray 10 filter - 22L per hour flow? Concerned current is too strong? Shrimp seems fine and unaffected by what is going on though and swims round fine. Turned temp down from 25 c to 21 c as read they like it cooler and prevents oxygen in water?

How can I slow pump or do I need a smaller one?

Thanks

TigzFish

Re: HELP -Beginner - fish swimming at top!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
A few questions.

What are your water parameters; GH/KH, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
What test kit are you using?
Is the surface of the water being agitated (surface tension broken) by the water coming out of the filter?
Or do you have an airstone drawing bubbles to the surface?
What have you done to cycle the tank? (A week is a long way short for a fishless cycle).

Minnows like quicker currents, they live in streams so it's more natural. My Vietnamese WCMM's love playing close to the outlet from my external filter (as do my Danio's). Turning it down probably won't make any difference unless the tank is like a whirlpool.  Try reducing the flow and see the reaction from the fish.

Do a partial dechlorinated water change asap, as this will lessen toxins if there are any present, and insert aerated water, giving more oxygen if that is an issue.  Hopefully this will help the fish perk up a bit.  Keep a watch after the water change to see if they are a bit happier.

Experts will bring their own questions and suggestions as the clock turns.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Turned temp down from 25 c to 21 c as read they like it cooler and prevents oxygen in water?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Cooler water carries more dissolved oxygen than warmer water, but Dave is right.... you need to break the surface tension somehow as this is where gas exchange occurs. This can be done by the circulation pump or by adding an air stone.

Dave's also right about the cycling and water parameters.... and everything else, actually. :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
And a third asking about the water conditions.

Cycling takes a lot longer than a week I'm afraid. Cycling is the process of growing two colonies of bacteria in the filter, a process which takes several weeks. If you just let things run, that isn't cycling. If you added a bottled bacteria product, they don't cycle a tank instantly. Some don't work at all, others just speed it up.

Your problem is that you are most likely now doing a fish-in cycle and you will need to do a lot of water changes to keep the fish, and especially the shrimp, alive.

The best thing you can do is
  • A water change asap, leave just enough water to keep the fish covered and top up with water that has been dechlorinated and warmed to the same temp as the water you take out.
  • Read this  http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html
  • Go out and buy a liquid reagent test kit. If you'd rather get one cheaper on-line, do daily very large water changes until the test kit arrives. Strip testers do not usually have ammonia tests and that's the most important one at the moment.

The problem is unlikely to be the filter, it is much more likely that the problem is your filter doesn't have any bacteria in it. While you wait for the bacteria to grow, I'm afraid you're stuck having to do lots of water changes.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "HELP -Beginner - fish swimming at top!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2014, 07:05:42 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
by greekgypsy
205 Replies
Last post November 16, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
by Alostangel
31 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 08:37:40 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2020, 07:32:22 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: